Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2012, 06:12 AM   #1

Tom Johnson Camping Center-Marion, NC

We ordered our Flagstaff from Tom Johnson Camping Center in Marion, NC in Jan. 2011 and took delivery approx. six weeks later. Debbie Morgan in sales was very easy to work with, price was much better than other dealers. When we picked up the trailer, a service tech spent 2 hours showing us how everything worked as well as proper maintenance. Since then, we have had a couple of minor warranty issues as well as some customer pay work done in the service dept. Mike Amerto, Service Advisor, has made sure work was done to our satisfaction. It has been a pleasure doing business with this dealer.
Husky Centerline Hitch

hokiecampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

And the same can be said of their Concord store. Good dealer and the staff is very friendly.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #3

Bought our Micro Lite from Kathy Flowers at the Marion location back in Feb. Beat RVW price by about 1500. Everyone there treated us great. I would highly recommend this dealer.
roanmountaincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

NC is not all that far from PA. Might just make the drive when it comes time for a new camper.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #5

Great idea Lou. Then you can stop by the state park here at Roan Mtn, just 40 miles from Marion, and we can share stories around the campfire.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
NC is not all that far from PA. Might just make the drive when it comes time for a new camper.
Don't know if you are a NASCAR fan or not, but Tom Johnson's in Concord leases from Bruton Smith owner of Lowes Motor Speedway and the world's only 4 wide drag strip. TJ shares lots with the Speedway and uses the drag strip parking lots for customer driving practice. 80%-90% of the NASCAR teams are within 40 miles of Concord. Rick Hendrick's two monsterous shops are about 1/4 mile (as the crow flies) south of TJ. All that is about 20 minutes from our house.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb4srn View Post
Great idea Lou. Then you can stop by the state park here at Roan Mtn, just 40 miles from Marion, and we can share stories around the campfire.
I would like that very much!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #8

We got our CC from Tom Johnsons in Marion, its only an hour away from Elizabethton and only 30 miles to Roan Mt and Bristol speedway. Another good spot is Shadracks RV park near speedway. Let us know if you come this way and we can grab a coffee.
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #9

Tom Johnsons in Marion service dept. is the best I've ever used. I can't say the same for the service dept. in Concord. We bought from the Concord store the sales staff was great. But after camping in our TT a couple times we took it back to the Concord store for warranty issues. They kept the TT for 5 weeks. The minor issues were fixed but the major issue we had weak floors. I mean really weak floors when you step in the middle of the TT the floor would go down about 2 inchs. The Service Advisor from Concord called and said our TT was ready. He stated that he had contacted and sent pictures to Forest River about our floor and they said there was nothing that could be done. Needless to say I wasn't happy. We went on one more camping trip and we decided to contact the Marion store about the floor issue. I called and spoke with Chuck, the Service Advisor in Marion. He gave me an appointment We took the camper to them. As soon as he walked in the TT he said we had a problem leave the TT for them to see what needed to be done. A few days later he called and said to come and clean the TT out it had to go back to the Forest River. We did, and a few days later he called to let us know Forest River had picked the TT up. A few weeks later he called and our TT was back. We went to pick the TT up. Forest River had replaced the floor. While we were in his office Chuck also called Forest River and asked if we could have our factory warranty extended for 6 months which Forest River agreed to. We since, have taken the TT back to Marion for some minor warranty issues which they repaired quickly. The problem we had with Concord was more than made up for by the Marion store. Tom Johnson in Marion will get all our business when we decide to buy a new TT.
Phil
Phil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #10

We purchased our 2013 V-Lite from Tom Johnson in Concord this past April. We had originally picked out a used V-Lite but the day before delivery, we found a brand new one on their website that had just come in. I called our salesman, Paul Shaver, and he got all the paperwork on the new camper to our bank that day and they had the unit ready for delivery the next day. A very professional group and excellent service department too.

As dunnnc mentioned, they are right beside the ZMax dragway and Charlotte Motor Speedway and there's usually all kinds of things going at both.We especially enjoy going to the Charlotte Autofair at CMS twice a year. I've been told that many of the Nascar drivers purchase RV's from Tom Johnson. We were there in May having our air mattress replaced (sound familiar??). My husband, being the huge Nascar fan that he is, almost wet his pants when he looked up & saw Mike Helton sitting in the showroom!
Heldapay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #11

The people there are very nice, but be sure you know your tow capacity before shopping. About a month ago, a coworker of mine shopped there and was told his 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L could tow 12,000 lbs. by the sales rep, so if he wanted room he should consider a 34 ft, 7,800 lb travel trailer he had on the lot. This did irk me a bit considering my friend had never owned a camper and this sales person was putting his life at risk by wanting to sale him a travel trailer that would be pushing the limits of his truck's capabilities. Thankfully I talked him out of it. I've dealt with Jake Helms at the Concord store, great guy. I'm not sure who the sales person was who lied about towing capacities in hopes of making a sale; hopefully he no longer works there. Besides that, I've heard mostly good reviews about Tom Johnson, they have a good name in these parts.

The 2003 Ram 4wd is 8,600 lbs I believe. I have a 2006 Ram 2wd as a tow vehicle and mine is 9,400 lbs, but there ain't no way I'm towing that much. Only 2500 series trucks have 12,000 lb capacties.
Wolfpacker76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #12

When we bought ours the salesperson said we should stay below 7000 with a F150. Bought the 25KS with a dry weight of 4450 since our first TT. Still learning and glad I went with a lite weight model.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #13

Not happy with TJ Concord

We also bought our 2011 V-Lite from the Marion office of TJ and both my wife and I were pleased and surprised at how well we were treated at the Marion location. But I live closer to the Concord location so I started taking our TT to them for service. The first major problem that we had were cracks in the right side of the trailer. The Service Rep at TJ suggested that we allow them to patch the cracks and stated that everything would be ok. But I insisted that they contact the factory concerning the problem. The factory rep told us that the trailer would have to be returned to the factory for repairs that this was a known issue and they had to replace the complete right side of the trailer and complete some other modification to fix the issue. I am glad that I did not listen to the TJ service rep. TJ called us a couple of months later to tell us that the TT was back and ready to be picked up. When we picked it up the inside of the TT needed cleaning and the outside of the TT was dirty too. I show all of the to the Concord TJ service rep and he promised me that they would clean the TT up. But that they were too busy then to do it so would I contact them later to setup another appointment. I tried on several occasions to setup an appointment without any luck. Then my wife lost her mom to cancer and I lost my dad to a heart attack. We finaly contacted TJ again last month and was told that the service rep that we had before was no longer with the company and that they had no record of his promise to clean up the trailer so they would not be able to honor his promise. I do have an appointment for later this month. I called them in July and was told that the first free date was 8/28/2012, so I took it. I plan on being there early to talk to the service manager before I let them touch the trailer. We have serveral other issues with the TT. I would like for them to check the roof, slides and the over-all condition fo the trailer to be sure that every thing is ok. We also have a problem with the AC unit so I will see if the extended warranty that I stupidly let them talk me into is worth anything. I am going to give it one more shot and if this does not work out then I am calling the Marion office to discuss these issues with them. We are not happy with the Concord TJ service department. I will not ever trade or buy any units from them. Neither will I recommend them to anyone that I know.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote