Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2024, 02:31 PM   #1

Exclamation Unethical www.CoachmenRV.com

Be careful ordering anything from Coachmen, Inc.
423 N Main Street
Middlebury, IN 46540
(574) 825-5821

I was quoted by email on two parts. Then charged triple without consent. Just got the charges on my credit card. First item was quoted at 153.00. Then they charged by card 490.00. When questioned he said 247.90 for freight and 45.00 packing fee on one item. The other was quoted at 23.43 by email for a trim kit that weighs less than a pound. I was charged 62.33. Unethical businesses need to be held accountable. The damage was sustained by a renter and I used the quotes to hold from their deposit. Now I am out 337.00 and not happy. Similar thing happened with a part I ordered from Elkrv Parts in Indiana too. Any advice?
Andie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 02:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Shipping and handling can be very expensive on certain RV parts. When you were quoted the price on parts, they didn't also quote S&H, or was this unknown at the time?

This is why many RV'ers, when ordering certain parts from dealers have to wait until an actual RV is shipped from the factory, which they sometimes will put other customers parts inside the RV to save on the S&H.

I am surprised somewhat that the Coachmen factory did ship parts as many divisions of FR Inc, will not. They only sell directly to dealers.

I want to go to Bora-Bora, but Iím too Pora-Pora.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 02:49 PM   #3
D W

It's a well known fact, and it has been reported on this forum many times that these parts coming from the main RV manufacturers have inflated and exorbitant shipping costs when they sell and ship to the public. Depending on what it is, some parts are shipped LTL Freight which is expensive to start with. You can bet that the dealers don't pay these amounts. I have no idea what your recourse is at this point.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 03:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Shipping and handling can be very expensive on certain RV parts. When you were quoted the price on parts, they didn't also quote S&H, or was this unknown at the time?

This is why many RV'ers, when ordering certain parts from dealers have to wait until an actual RV is shipped from the factory, which they sometimes will put other customers parts inside the RV to save on the S&H.

I am surprised somewhat that the Coachmen factory did ship parts as many divisions of FR Inc, will not. They only sell directly to dealers.
Was not aware they sold direct, we stopped in to inquire about a part and had to go thru our dealer. Maybe changed their policies.
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 03:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andie H View Post
Similar thing happened with a part I ordered from Elkrv Parts in Indiana too. Any advice?
Sorry, partner.

Shipping and Handling (as well as Boxing/Packing) rates are so wildly varied (and so unscrupulously, wildly, irresponsibly out of line) that I'd make sure you're ALWAYS getting a bid for TOTAL cost (item + S&H + any special packing/concerns) to your end address (very similar to working a price for a vehicle, but that's not your out-the-door costs).

Next up, when you find that a cost is whacky and out of line, try a new supplier (like the factory – who makes profit on the UNIT, and wants to keep owners coming back*– as opposed to a dealership, who is incentivized to make money on absolutely EVERYTHING).

I was on the search for (an admittedly large sized) piece of trim. My LOCAL Rockwood dealer quoted me a 16% markup over factory on the part (no big deal, I get it) and $250 cited as shipping cost:

Quote:
"[it will be] about $250 in shipping for this piece. Once it comes in, we can either talk to you about a higher shipping cost, or refund you for a lower shipping cost."
Wait, shipping MIGHT be $250, and it could be higher? No, thank you!

For what it's worth cost for the trim from the factory direct was $25.32, Special packing (for size) was $12.00.

Thread here:Interior trim: slide surround for 235s

Good advice, though - sometimes certain friendly dealerships are willing to go out of their way for you and can get a bulky part put into a camper that is on its way to their shop from the factory... but this is likely to be the exception rather than the rule.

Shipping bulky items by bus used to be a great trick around high freight costs, too bad Greyhound ceased it.

Ship Greyhound Closure Information/

Use to be that you could do the same thing via train, but Amtrack discontinued freight service for Covid and hasn't reinstated it yet:

https://www.amtrak.com/express-shipping

Keep your fingers crossed.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 04:09 PM   #6

When we had to have a part shipped to the dealer, they had to wait until it was ready to ship to tell us the shipping price.
The service writer chose the cheaper rate, but it took much longer to get here.

Shipping costs have gotten ridiculous.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:36 PM   #7

If it's small enough to ship by USPS, UPS, or FedEx, it will usually be reasonable. Once you get into extra long or extra heavy parcels, you know it's gonna be bad.

Buy ot sell your small stuff on eBay, your large stuff on Craigslist.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 06:00 PM   #8

Big stuff comes by truck which ain't cheap especially if it needs special packaging. Curious just what was the first item?

-- Chuck
Old 01-11-2024, 06:30 PM   #9

Several years ago I needed a piece of trim and called FR. The nice lady said she would give it to me but the shipping would be expensive because of the length it would have to ge motor freight. Due to the lenght I needed I asked her to cut two feet off and ship it snail mail. They gave me the trim and charged a few bucks shipping. A two pound piece of trim can cost hudreds to ship because of the length. Just different carrier rules.

If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go where they went.

Will Rogers
Sunseeker16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 08:17 PM   #10

If they had called and told me I would have said no for sure!
Old 01-11-2024, 08:31 PM   #11

Dinette top replacement.
Old 01-18-2024, 08:24 PM   #12

If they truly charged you without consent, dispute the charge.
Old 01-19-2024, 10:15 AM   #13

Talk to your states Attorney General.
Sarz272000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 10:52 AM   #14

Provided the supplier gave no indication of additional charges, it can be disputed through your credit card company. At the least, the supplier should have made you aware of high shipping and handling rates. After all, this is not their first rodeo.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen