Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2023, 09:17 PM   #1

Unlimited RV - Kansas City MO (among the worst)

Unlimited RV
Our Sales Person: Devin (supposedly sales person of the month several times)
Finance Person: Nate Donaldson
Owner: Stacy
Service Manager: Erik
Service Tech: Jaci

Based on 5 Stars
Ease of Sale: ****
Knowledge of Product: *
Communication prior to sale: ****
Communication after sale: *
Friendliness after sale: *
Service Department: * (and that is generous)
Truthful: *
Ability to mislead: *****

If you read nothing more of this review, please understand my my opinion of Unlimited RV is that the business is not trust worthy and incompetent at best. At worst they knowing lie to their customers and scam the warranty system to make money while leaving your RV broken with a bandaid type fix.

We purchased a 2023 Riverstone Legacy 442MC from Unlimited RV in Independence, Missouri just outside Kansas City. They brag about being a 5 star dealer. They are a 5-star dealer much in the same way wearing a red towel around my neck makes me Superman.

If you are ONLY purchasing from Unlimited their sales staff will bend over backwards to make a sale, but then you’ll never hear from them again even after they state “if you have any questions or concerns you should reach out.” If you are only shopping to purchase, if you have no desire to ever visit the dealership after the time of purchase, if you never want service or fixes completed by the dealership you purchase from then Unlimited RV does a good enough job at the sales process. But please note; Forest River dealers are not franchised like automotive dealers and therefore not obligated to work on your product when it is not purchased from them. Dealers are independently owned and operated businesses. Service and scheduling is at their discretion and priority is commonly provided to customers that purchased from their dealership. So if you plan to only buy at Unlimited and have your rig serviced someplace else, you may have issues. Even more reason to steer clear of Unlimited RV all together!!

Sales and Pre-Delivery
The lies start with the sale. Unlimited RV will brag about their LIFETIME warranty and urge the lifetime warranty they provide is a reason to buy form them, but you will quickly uncover the lifetime warranty is as worthless as a pile of bird poop on a pump handle. The day you take delivery Unlimited RV will strongly urge you to buy an extended warranty for several thousand dollars. Nate in the finance department has a laminated list of all the things covered by the extended warranty that their lifetime warranty doesn’t touch. Hint: it’s a loooong list of things covered by the extended warranty and what their lifetime warranty does not cover. The promise of a lifetime warranty and the salesperson bragging how much it covered quickly turned into a reason for me to buy from Unlimited to a fear that I needed to buy an extended warranty or else nothing would be covered once the Forest River warranty expired. I purchased the warranty.

The tech who did our Pre-Delievery Inspection knew less about the RV than we did. We asked about the fridge and its power source. We were told it was powered by propane. The fridge is a 12-V unit. We were told inputs for cable TV, internet and air TV were actually outputs. We were told about the special sewer lines that come with the Riverstone Legacy and how we would need to order a special adapter for campsite hookup. We were even taken to the parts department to order the special adapter. No adapter is needed and we never received any part. We were told the water heater with an electric tank system. The water heater is a propane tankless system. The misinformation got so bad we ended the walk-through, did not take the Rv home with us and requested a second walk-through. Unlimited granted a second walk through but requested to know all our questions ahead of time, I'm guessing so they could research and know the answers.

At the second walk-through it was discovered some items we found wrong during the first walk-through had not been addressed. We stood in the service lot for an hour waiting for the issues to be resolved until it was suggested to us that we go have lunch and Stacy the owner would give us a call when the fixes were complete and we could have the RV delivered.

Issues
We began noticing issues with our brand new rig on day one. Our sales person Devin (who has been sales person of the month more than once) had told us if we ever needed anything to reach out. I sent him a text message asking who I should contact in the service department to create a list of items that needed to be fixed. I never received a reply to my text.

A week later I emailed Devin. I never received a response. A few days later after our brand new RV became completely inoperable due to the Firefly system taking a dump, I submitted on online request for service using the Unlimited RV website. I received an email they received my request and they would be in contact soon. I never received a call or email.

Three days later I called the service department and they claimed they had no information about my requests. I provided Unlimited with a list of 12 items which needed to be fixed in a three week timeframe so we could leave on a several week trip through 5 states. Unlimited knew about this trip the day we took delivery and I was only reminding them when dropping off the RV for the fixes.

Two weeks later Jaci at the service desk called to ask if I had the keypad on my entry door that wasn't working fixed. She said a part came in but the work order was closed and showed "Completed". Jaci seemed shocked when I told her I wasn't sure if they item had been fixed because my rig had been sitting on their lot for two weeks and was currently still sitting on their lot. I began asking if all my items which needed fixed had been completed. She said yes but she would confirm. I didn't wait for her return communication, which never came, and I began asking the owner Stacy why work orders were being marked completed if parts had not even come in yet. I asked for confirmation if all my times were fixed. Stacy said he would confirm and get back to me. I didn't hear from Stacy for the rest of the day. The following morning I reaches out to Stacy again and asked for an update. Stacy sent a text stating my rig was in the bay being worked on.

I again asked for confirmation everything would be fixed. Stacy said he would confirm. I did not get confirmation that day. The next day I asked for another update from the owner. Stacy informed me the Service Manager Erik would be contacting me.

When Erik called, he informed me the Firefly system was not working. The main issue I told Unlimited needed to be addressed they had not even begun working on until the day before. At this point we knew we would miss the departure date for our long trip and Erik didn't seem to care that Unlimited had done nothing to fix the issue. A week long journey of phone calls to Unlimited, Forest River and Firefly began. Emails, texts, you name it I sent it. 3 days after our original departure date Unlimited claimed they had fixed the Firefly system tested it all and addressed all our other concerns.

We picked up the rig and brought it home to pack. Once we opened it up we discovered the Firefly system was not programmed correctly. I called Unlimited to complain and was told all systems were tested earlier that day, which is interesting since the third AC unit and generator didn't display in the Firefly system. Another issue we had was with a broken microwave. Prior to taking the unit home Unlimited stated all items were completed. The work order even shows "Completed" and a note the microwave needed to be replaced. When I opened the microwave the yellow service tape put in the unit the day I dropped it off remained. Unlimited RV lied about completing the work but charged warranty time and marked the item complete. Almost every issue we had showed "completed" on the work order but it was clear the item had not been fixed.

Inside the microwave with the work order "Completed"

Unlimited RV's decision making is also very poor. After discovering the disc brakes had failed on the fifth wheel, Unlimited RV suggested we could tow the trailer home. I was a bit shocked that I needed to state pulling a 21,000lbs trailer without brakes through Kansas City and at highway speeds was a safety concern.

When we complained the TPSM would lose signal a lot with the tires I asked for Unlimited to check the signal repeater that is installed by the factory on all systems with a 507 system. TSTtruck.com states the repeater is installed by the factory but Unlimited claims our rig does not have a repeater and wanted to know if we would like to purchase and order a repeater.

My hope is you have enough reason to never step foot on their lot no matter what they promise. I cannot stress this enough, RUN THE OTHER WAY! Pay thousands more so you don’t have to deal with them. Drive hours away so you can avoid being tied to Unlimited with purchase of a RV from them. You will thank me later.

Our brand new rig has spent more time in the Unlimited RV service department than in our possession. I'm having difficulty getting anyone at Unlimited to return emails or voicemails (they don't answer their phone). Unlimited has had our RV for over 2 weeks. According to the last communication from Unlimited RV several issues have warranty claims created. HOWEVER, based on a communication with the Forest River Riverstone service this morning, Forest River has received no claims for our VIN from Unlimited RV. In Fact, Riverstone even asked if your rig was still at Unlimited. It seems Unlimited has lied again and having my RV fixed may turn into a recovery situation, however, we still have broken brakes according to Unlimited.

Forest River Riverstone has suggested we bring our rig to Topeka, Indiana to get everything fixed and receive the customer service we deserve. Let me be clear, at this point instead of taking our rig to Unlimited RV, the dealership we purchased from and where we have three warranty coverages (manufacturer 1-year, lifetime Unlimited warranty or 5-year extended warranty) we are towing our rig 643 miles and paying for lodging for 9 days to have our Unlimited mess fixed right.

DO NOT TRUST UNLIMITED RV!!
deewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 10:31 PM   #2

A quick update. We have recovered our rig from Unlimited RV. Based on their inability to be professional and complete lack of knowledge of the Riverstone unit we have asked them to never service our rig again and will be driving 10 hours to Indiana for service. It's a shame. Had I known we would be driving to Indiana for service I would have saved $10K and purchased from a dealer there in the first place.

Even after the second visit some of our very first requests to be fixed are still broken. We have been told that the drawer slides were fixed while Unlimited complained they only get 6 minutes to fix a drawer for warranty purposes. WE pulled the rig home 30 miles and we found all the same drawers open and some have now damaged things inside the rig as they rubbed. We will need to look for a temp solution while towing to Indiana for actual repair.

Another item Unlimited said the determined was not broken was the Firefly unit and the master "On/Off" switch. When I dropped off the rig I showed them several items in person that needed to be addressed. This light switch was one of the items I showed them and I thought would be the easiest. Yet here we are, they say it works, I have videos proving otherwise.
https://youtube.com/shorts/f4L_K8J7CF0?feature=share

DO NOT TRUST UNLIMITED RV!!
Old 08-16-2023, 06:41 AM   #3

Sorry to read of your experience. While I am not a fan of litigation and have first hand experience of the time suck and countless wasted dollars with no results, I do think there is a place for an attorney.

Don't have any idea what the extended warranty cost you but that can be monetized while your inconvenience and frustration unfortunately cannot.

In any event, a letter from an attorney citing specific violations ( if applicable) coupled with all of the supporting documentation you have might move them to at least refund the warranty money if nothing else.

Worth a try in my opinion.

And kudos to you for calling them out publicly. Too often posters complain but don't want to mention the offenders for reasons that escape me.

Lastly, as a business owner myself,we are often confronted with; "so and so will sell that to us for less". I have come to the point where I tell them that honesty and integrity have a value and so and so have clearly displayed they have neither so if price is your focus, have at it.
Lubehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 06:32 PM   #4

The video review for this dealership.

https://youtu.be/J3G6sGs3cg4?si=aLYwjJQSKugavoAq
Old 10-26-2023, 02:32 PM   #5

Quick update to how bad this dealership is.

I ended up driving 20 hours round trip to take my rig back to Riverstone to have the issues resolved. Before I even unhitched the techs at Riverstone mentioned the installation of the OEM generator by Unlimited RV was wrong. Per communication from Riverstone, "we have verified this was not installed up to RVIA code. The cut out is not correct nor the ventilation, we also found out the generator itself is not mounted secure."

There you have it, the work I paid Unlimited RV to do is not up to code, is not safe, and is not secure. I'm now having to pay Riverstone to repair the damage and properly install the generator.

If you read this review and decide to buy form Unlimited RV near Kansas City, then you have nobody to blame but yourself when you get screwed over!
Old 02-09-2024, 05:25 PM   #6

An update on this horrible dealership.

https://youtu.be/LM2sw1t4P38?si=fTFcZ0CnOXSOFZVm
Old 02-09-2024, 07:04 PM   #7

Sorry to read about all the crap you're going thru with the dealer. In the end I hope you get everything taken care of to your satisfaction.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 07:20 PM   #8

New Camper? Or Refurbished? Just not sure?

My husband and I purchased the 24View Travel Trailer from Unlimited RV (4400 N. Cobbler Rd., Independence, MO 64058, (816) 537-2873) on March 30, 2024.
We knew what we wanted and just wanted to see it to be sure. We asked for a lower price if we paid with cash, but were told it would be more expensive for cash because the bank they used gives them a kickback which they extend to the customer, so we took out a loan for it. No other negotiation or discount was accepted, however on our way out, we saw the Manager offering another family a lower price in order to make the sale. Lesson learned, but that is on us for not trying to walk away.
We had hoped to leave with the camper that day, however were told that the camper needed to be de-winterized, inspected and cleaned. There was also a broken fender and mantle that needed to be replaced. We scheduled pick up for 2 weeks later on April 13, eagerly anticipating picking up our beautiful new camper!
Upon arrival, the fender had been replaced. The broken mantle had been re-installed (still broken). The entire camper, inside and out was still filthy, not de-winterized, not inspected. During the "new camper training", we also found more issues including a dent on the interior side of the door, the door would not close without slowly pulling the handle out while pushing on the door, the still broken mantle, multiple badly "filled" nail holes (which I had originally assumed was poor manufacturing job, but after seeing the attached work orders - it does not appear to be the case.)
We were so disappointed, worried about what we had purchased, who we were doing business with, and asked to get out of the contract and cancel the sale. We had not actually taken possession of the trailer, they had fulfilled only one of their promises (the fender had been replaced appropriately) and felt this was reasonable. However, they refused and said it was not possible.
They asked us to give them ANOTHER two weeks to fulfill the promises they had originally made and fix the additional issues. We refused this - we had plans to camp the following weekend AND did not want to make the 1 1/2 hour drive again.
They ultimately wrote up a contract to do a mobile repair/replacement of the door and mantle at our house once those replacement parts arrived. We asked for this to be scheduled and when this would occur multiple times. We were finally told they do not have mobile repair and we would need to bring the camper in. Another broken promise/contract.
We ended up leaving with the camper that day, with the understanding the contracted issues would be completed and any other issues would be fixed under the warranty. My husband and I spent several hours cleaning the inside and outside of the camper. Trying to fix a few things ourselves (the leaking hot water heater, the intermittently working hot water heater and stereo). Again, we had no idea what kind of company we were dealing with or what we were agreeing to. Buying a "brand new" camper should not have so many worries. I say "brand new" because I am wondering if that is in fact what we actually received based on the many issues we have seen.
What I believe you will see by the attached lists, provided by Unlimited RV, as well as the additional issues we found (the hot water heater malfunctions and turns itself off without allowing reset for many hours, the screen door has never latched, and the stereo repeatedly shorts out and does not function properly) is either a very poorly built camper with a great company working very hard to make it right - or a great camper that was abused on site by a very disreputable dealership.
I do not know how this can be fixed, but I would not want the many hours of cleaning, repairing, and frustration to happen to someone else. This was our first brand new camper, and we have spent more time cleaning and dealing with this than ANY other.
Gings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 07:53 PM   #9

Sorry to hear you have fallen to the false promises of Unlimited RV @Gings.

I've found out Unlimited has more horror stories. At the Kansas City RV show, sponsored by Unlimited) another unsatisfied customer had to confront Stacey (owner of Unlimited) because after months of issues Unlimited stopped replying to the customer. The customer was hanging flyers around the convention hall warning potential buyers about Unlimited and Stacey had the guy thrown out of the show.

Stacey had told me several months ago he is starting to slowly get out of the selling RV's and more into the financing of RV's because that is where the real money is. Stacey will always blame any issue on the manufacturer, but Stacey has no issues selling those issues to customers and then ignoring the issue.

I'll warn you right now, Stacey is a smooth talker. He will convince you he is on your side and trying to help, but really all he cares about is turning a profit and passing the bale to someone else, even if that someone else is one of his employees. Several employees quit last year because they were sick of his cr@p.

I wish you the best of luck getting all your issue resolved. And I hope you never have to deal with Unlimited RV.
Old 06-20-2024, 08:53 PM   #10

This is a common story with the RV industry in general from sales to service.