Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2018, 02:35 PM   #1

Wilkins RV, Bath NY

Opinions about this place vary widely around the area, but our experience has been mostly positive.

In this particular incident, we found a thread here on the forums talking about a fairly common issue with the brackets holding on the freshwater tanks on our Rockwood MiniLite 2506S. We had just finished camping in a state park where they had no water hookup and I filled the FW tank to full. Sure enough, I looked under the camper and the front crossbar holding the fresh water tank was bent into a V from just the weight of the water. There is a weak point formed where there are slots cut into the cross-brace steel designed to receive tabs from other tank support elements. VERY poor engineering!

We bought this camper used at Wilkins less than two months ago, so I called up their service department, explained the issue and referred them to the thread in the MiniLite sub here. After a short discussion with the service manager there, they agreed that they would cover it under their used camper warranty! YEA! If only for that, I would have given them a good review.

Then I dropped the shoe on them. I needed it done in two weeks because we had booked a camping trip in Canada. We discussed it and they agreed that if I would transport the TT to them and pick it up, they would make sure to get it handled in time. BUT they told me up front there would not be time to hack out the whole bent frame, order new parts and weld in a new one. In my opinion that would have been a waste of time and effort anyway. So we agreed that some extra metal and some careful welding would fix things up a treat.

And they did. EARLY! The work is top notch for a quick fix. Good welds from what I can see, clean, TiG (I beleive) and they did not scorch the plastic tank at all that I can see.

Overall, between their positive attitudes, willingness to discuss options with me, and their general customer first processes, I can not recommend them enough. Their sales department was pretty great too.

Ack! Re-reading this looks a little FanBoy-ish, but I stand by the intent.
Cknowlto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:49 PM   #2

We bought our current one from them in 2015. 2 hours away from our house, but worth it - very good staff from sales to service and better deal than I could do locally. For us the trip is made worthwhile because of the scenery along Seneca Lake. One service trip the race track in Watkins Glen was holding open practice so I drove over and watched (for free) a variety of race cars while Wilkins put in my new awning motor.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
Retiring in 2

Are you still impressed with this dealership and service dept?
matttsmom499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:34 AM   #4

I haven't been back to that location. No interest in getting a different RV and no service issues. Wilkins has opened a location about 10 miles from me. I plan on trying them for any maintenance work that pops up.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote