Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2016, 12:58 AM   #1

2014 palomino 30dbss hot water electric switch

I bought a new 2014 palomino 30dbss and cant seem to find the hot water switch to use electric water heater instead of propane. wondering if anyone out there knows where it is??
joshdunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:22 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdunn View Post
I bought a new 2014 palomino 30dbss and cant seem to find the hot water switch to use electric water heater instead of propane. wondering if anyone out there knows where it is??
This is actually one of the things that many dealers fail to properly explain.

This is why we keep a very detailed FAQ here on the operation of a Suburban brand water heater (if yours is equipped with such):

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

See if this helps

P.S. Welcome aboard to the Forest River Forums.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdunn View Post
If I may, I'd just like to remind you to be sure that there is water in the heater before you turn on the switch. Some have burned out their heating elements by not taking that precaution.

Good luck!
campingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:43 PM   #4

There is a small black service switch on the bottom left" the heater itself. That switch, plus the bracket and the on/off switch must be on before you get power to the element. And be assured, if there is no water in the heater, that same element will blow out in 2 seconds or less.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:01 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
There is a small black service switch on the bottom left" the heater itself. That switch, plus the bracket and the on/off switch must be on before you get power to the element. And be assured, if there is no water in the heater, that same element will blow out in 2 seconds or less.
I'm sorry... but what is this 'bracket' of which you speak?
... and what is this second on/off switch besides the on/off switch on the bottom left of the heater's outside front?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:43 PM   #6

The "bracket" should have read breaker. The normal on/off switch for the water heater should be on the control panel where all the switches are located. The breaker should be in the drop down panel of the converter area, worth ask the other 120vac breakers and 12 vdc fuses are located.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
The "bracket" should have read breaker. The normal on/off switch for the water heater should be on the control panel where all the switches are located. The breaker should be in the drop down panel of the converter area, worth ask the other 120vac breakers and 12 vdc fuses are located.
John, honestly most Suburban water heaters only have the outside switch for turning on the electric heating element. This is the SWDE models. They only have one inside switch and it only pertains to the propane/dsi.

Now Suburban does make a SWDEL model that does have an inside switch to the propane/dsi as well as a switch to the electric heating element.....and also has the outside switch to the electric heating element too.

But if there is only ONE and only ONE switch inside...it goes to the propane/dsi side of the water heater.

The FAQ link in my first post here explains this and both models.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:36 PM   #8

Not knowing which water heater he has certainly makes this more difficult. I was going by the water heaters I have had on 3 different RVs. They were all Suburban and all had the two switches plus the breaker, of course. They were all DSI. I did not look at your FAQ list nor did I even look to see that it was Dan I responded to on the second portion. My bad. I should have looked more closely at my response.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Not knowing which water heater he has certainly makes this more difficult. I was going by the water heaters I have had on 3 different RVs. They were all Suburban and all had the two switches plus the breaker, of course. They were all DSI. I did not look at your FAQ list nor did I even look to see that it was Dan I responded to on the second portion. My bad. I should have looked more closely at my response.
I understand, but we may still have some confusion here. These two switches (emboldened above), is that the total amount of switches for the water heater ....and where they both inside perhaps...or was one inside and one outside?

Did you have two total switches for the water heater...or three total switches for the water heater?

Old 06-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #10

2014 palomino 30dbss hot water electric switch

I have no problem with my water heater. I have the service switch on the heater itself, outside and a separate switch inside for electric. I also have a switch for the DSI for propane operation. The OP is the one who needs to clarify which heater he has. I was just trying to help a little, hoping he would give a little info. If you wish, just delete this entire discussion back to the OPs original question so add not to confuse the issue any further.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:48 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
That is what I do not know. The OP is the one who needs to clarify which heater he has.
I am asking about your two switches John. I have a feeling you may have been mis-operating your previous water heaters which I why I am asking about yours ONLY currently.

It's fairly obvious the OP has the SWDE model, or he would see the electric switch inside if he had the SWDEL model as it would be right beside his propane/dsi switch.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:56 PM   #12

I have no problem. They operate perfectly. Outside switch is on unless I have removed the anode in which case it is off until the heater is filled with a water. The inside switch, for normal electric operation is on when I want hot water turned off for travel and disconnecting shore power, the DSI propane switch is usually off unless I want the heater to more rapidly heat the water which is not often. I am pretty sure I have the operation down quite well. If not, please enlighten me.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:57 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
I have no problem. They operate perfectly. Outside switch is on unless I have removed the anode in which case it is off until the heater is filled with a water. The inside switch, for normal electric operation is on when I want hot water turned off for travel and disconnecting shore power, the DSI propane switch is usually off unless I want the heater to more rapidly heat the water which is not often. I am pretty sure I have the operation down quite well. If not, please enlighten me.
So you have TWO inside switches for the water heater?

Old 06-03-2016, 07:40 AM   #14

I have the same setup as John. Outside switch on the heater is for electric only. I have to have that one on and I have to turn on the inside switch for electric for it to work on electric. So 2 switches to make it run on electric. Then I have another switch inside that is for running it on gas. If I turn on that one it does not matter where the outside electric switch is or the inside electric switch is it will get hot with gas.

Hope that makes sense. 3 switches total.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:46 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
.... The inside switch, for normal electric operation is on when I want hot water turned off for travel....
Sorry again. Maybe I haven't had enough coffee... but you say the switch is ON when you want hot water turned OFF. What am I missing?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 06-03-2016, 08:47 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhounds View Post
I have the same setup as John. Outside switch on the heater is for electric only. I have to have that one on and I have to turn on the inside switch for electric for it to work on electric. So 2 switches to make it run on electric. Then I have another switch inside that is for running it on gas. If I turn on that one it does not matter where the outside electric switch is or the inside electric switch is it will get hot with gas.

Is your water heater made by Atwood or by Suburban? Thx.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:49 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:

Makes perfect sense, as you have the Suburban SWDEL model, as per here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1193446

Old 06-03-2016, 08:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Is your water heater made by Atwood or by Suburban? Thx.
That is a awesome question. It is in a 2017 Columbus 320RS that we picked up just over a month ago. I'll have it back at the house middle of next week. Never looked to see who made the heater. Just learning all the operations on it.

Maybe someone else will know what brand Columbus puts in.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Makes perfect sense, as you have the Suburban SWDEL model, as per here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1193446
Yep thank you. So with the switch on the heater OFF I can still get hot water using gas on the control panel like your picture shows. To use electric to heat then I have to have the switch ON on the heater and the electric switch ON in the control panel.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
That is a awesome question. It is in a 2017 Columbus 320RS that we picked up just over a month ago. I'll have it back at the house middle of next week. Never looked to see who made the heater. Just learning all the operations on it.

Maybe someone else will know what brand Columbus puts in.

Suburban

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "6"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, electric, hot water, palomino, water