Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsey View Post
More than just the cargo capacity, its the total trailer weight rating. The SRW F350, while it has plenty of payload, is rated to tow 15,900 lbs (in a crew cab 4x4). If you bump up to DRW that goes up to 22,200lbs. Based on some of the scaled weights I have seen for this camper you can easily creep up on the 15,900 figure especially if you run the camper at its gross weight of 15,825. Technically yes, you do still have 75lbs of wiggle room until you hit the tow rating of the SRW but I'd rather have the extra peace of mind with the DRW.
Not to split hairs, but the tow rating is 15,800 on the truck and the gross on the trailer is 15,825. So, technically speaking I would be over IF I were to max out the trailer. That would be approx. 2 ton of gear...I don't know of anyone that packs that much crap into their rig. Mmmmmaybe if your full timing, in which case I have no problem with a dually or even a toter. But as far as a everyday driver, I'm fine with my SRW. It still makes for a good topic of discussion however.
2006 HarleyDavidson RoadKing Classic
5verdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #42

has anyone else installed the trail air pin box on there 36qboks?? I purchased one after our first trip and was it worth it! this is our first fifth wheel so I was new to the bucking or chucking when I would hit a big bump or bridge approach. it was almost lift the back wheels of my truck off the ground.
Lsaunders113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #43

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsaunders113 View Post
has anyone else installed the trail air pin box on there 36qboks?? I purchased one after our first trip and was it worth it! this is our first fifth wheel so I was new to the bucking or chucking when I would hit a big bump or bridge approach. it was almost lift the back wheels of my truck off the ground.
First time 5th wheel future owner here. Please keep us updated on what you think after using it. Our 36qbok has been pushed back 2 weeks at the factory and won't be available to pick until 10/17. Ours comes with the trail air pin as part of the Fall Savings Package. I am curious if the extra expense is worth it. It was lumped in with a bunch of other stuff that we wanted anyway, so I suppose it doesn't really matter in the end.
RadColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5verdriver View Post
Not to split hairs, but the tow rating is 15,800 on the truck and the gross on the trailer is 15,825. So, technically speaking I would be over IF I were to max out the trailer. That would be approx. 2 ton of gear...I don't know of anyone that packs that much crap into their rig. Mmmmmaybe if your full timing, in which case I have no problem with a dually or even a toter. But as far as a everyday driver, I'm fine with my SRW. It still makes for a good topic of discussion however.
I agree, as a weekend warrior I won't see anywhere near gross weight, but its one of those things that would nag me and bother me to no end knowing that there was just *that much* that can't be hauled
Old 09-18-2013, 05:27 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsaunders113 View Post
Is the bucking and chucking normal? I don't have a 5'er and thinking about getting one for many reasons. One thing I've heard is that they pull easier and softer.
2014 Montana 356TBF
Big Bad Allis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #46
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Allis View Post
Is the bucking and chucking normal? I don't have a 5'er and thinking about getting one for many reasons. One thing I've heard is that they pull easier and softer.
From my experience and talking to others, it is normal. I stopped it by adding shocks to the trailer and shimming the space under the legs of the hitch where there was about 1/16" gap which caused banging when starting or stopping.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Allis View Post

I haven't had much bucking at all. Picked my 34tbok up from Ohio in march, drove the 800 miles back home and loved the towing difference from my 7Klb, 28' tt. It was a pleasure to tow. The only bumps I noticed were bridge on/off's. I added air bags to my f250 V10 to help with that and they do great! Even with my slightly undersized truck, it pulls amazing and it's easy to forget it's back there(other then at the pumps )
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sabre