Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2015, 04:50 PM   #1

320 Side wall bubble

I have a 2015 Columbus 320 with a small side wall bubble just underneath and at the corner the bedroom slide. It's about the size of a half dollar and about 3/16" in depth. It's at the dealer for evaluation now. They says it not a delamination but some pressure causing it from the bedroom slide mechanization. Anybody else had or seen this? Dealer also says he seen it on other Columbus as well.
52413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 05:40 PM   #2

Sounds like dealer is trying to avoid dealing with delamination. Check out this Forest River forum thread.Bubble in slideout fibreglass. - Forest River Forums
MrNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:55 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Pics?

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:35 AM   #4

No I don't have a picture but it is so small it will not show up. Also the dealer sent a picture to FR. and they said it can't be seen in the pic.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:48 PM   #5

I also have a 2015 320. It is not delam. Had Forrest River look at it at this years Rally.Scheduled a half day at the factory to have it repaired. It is a pressure point from the slide. The factory says they have repaired many of these and what they did was cut out about 12" of that narrow part and add another piece in its place and reglued and clamped. What you end up with is two vertical trim strips about 12-15" apart.
Our bulge was about 4" in dia and could not be pushed in by hand.
Hope this helps.
baysalr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:08 PM   #6

Thanks baysair that's what I was looking for if anybody else has had this. Mine is only a half dollar size. I think FR wants me to wait and see if it "grows" Also I think I will get it in writing to extend the warranty for this problem. Did yours start out small and get bigger? They also said the same about a pressure point and not a delamination.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #7

Mine was always that 4" size. It never grew but it was just bothered me to see it. If your's is as small as you say, I like you said, would make sure they would take care of it in the future if it was to get larger(which I doubt it will). The factory is very good at taking care of things like this.
baysalr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #8

Just a update on my bubble. It has been at the dealer for two months for warranty repairs including the "bubble" I won't go there about this poor dealer service. Anyway I pick it up yesterday and now the bubble has a hairline crack. After researching this it seems to be a problem that columbus knows about. It will have to go back to the factory for repair. They call it a stress crack from the bedroom slide pressure.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:38 PM   #9

My 340 RK is beginning to develop this. I guess I will need to keep an eye on it. I had a smaller one next to the cabinet near the fridge and it was discovered it was a small screw that had been screwed more than necessary. It was difficult to fix, so we agreed on put tins an outside lamp to fix and cover it. No one will know what happened. The one next to the bedroom slide is a new one but not fully developed yet.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:37 PM   #10

2015 Columbus 320 bubble.

While winterizing our 2015 Columbus 320 last fall I noticed about a 4 inch bubble in the fiberglass to the bottom right of the bedroom slide. It is not soft. In fact, the dealer and I both pushed on it and it is very hard. The dealer and two of the techs watched the bubble to see if it would change shape or size while I opened and closed the slide. Both of them said it did not change. Since I was putting it away, and under time constraints, I was not able to leave it at the dealer. I am to bring it in this spring when I get it out of storage. The dealer did tell me they not to be to hopeful on getting any help from Forest River for repairs. Really? $45 grand for a rig less than two years old, with extended warranty, and don't expect any help on repairs? My words to the dealer were not printable here. I will try to post later this spring when I find out what happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bubble_1.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	100650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bubble_2.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	100651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bubble_3.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	100652  
MoreFreeTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:04 PM   #11

Delamination

My TT had a Delamination about the size of a soft ball. It was hard also. Depending upon the weather (hot or cold) the bubble would expand or contract. Forest River took care of the problem as it was still under the warranty. They in fact had it picked up and returned to my home in California no charge to me. TT went back to the factory. I'm not sure if the extended warranty covers the fiberglass side or not. I hope your dealer is a good advocate for you. Good luck.
Steve
Steveinthehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:27 AM   #12

I had a similar problem. Mine was under bedroom slide but not up near the slide, it was closer to the trim piece below the bedroom slide where the trim piece curves downward toward the landing legs. Found out it was a piece of aluminum that ran from side to side underneath the bedroom was cut a tad too long and was rubbing and pressing from the inside of the fiberglass causing a bubble or bulging look. They cut out the piece of fiberglass, shaved back the aluminum frame and put a new piece back in, painted and had to add two trim pieces to hide the seams, not ideal but no other choice. Took it on one trip, drove just a couple hundered miles and noticed to the right of the repair outside of the new trim piece they put on, two small hairline cracks, same level as the bulge was in but not in the exact area. It's back at the dealer being examined to see what the repair will entail. Very fruststing, just hope it's not a flex frame issue. Not sure if it will go back to factory yet, will know soon. I have a 2015 Columbus 320RS that will be 2 years old in April, I have the second year FR warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
fivermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:26 PM   #13

Angry Update: 2015 Columbus 320 bubble.

I took the rig into the dealer on April 2nd to have them deal with the issue. The entire reason I had them look at it in October last year was so they could start the process dealing with FR to get it fixed. On the 9th of April I checked and they said they will need to take it to a custom bus body shop to have it looked at and work with FR to see if they would pay for repairs. I told them this type of problem is a know issue and gave the Service Manager links to this forum and all the issues people have listed. They said they had no idea and would contact FR with pictures. I just checked again on April 30th. The service writer I spoke with said they have not had a chance to work on it yet. This is without the worst dealership I have ever worked with. They have had it a month and can't even make a phone call and send in pictures to FR. I gave them on week to show any kind of progress or I will be forced to take other action. I don't expect it fixed in a week but I do expect them to do something! It as now been in their shop 13 weeks out of 32 since we bought it.

More to follow next week.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:08 AM   #14

I would put the dealers name & describe their service across FB & all forums possible. I would stick to the facts & not make any statements that were untrue but spread the word. Show the dealer the posts & responses, & let him/her know they control the outcome of the problem. Tell the dealer it's their opportunity to become known as a dealer to avoid or one that takes care of their buyers. You bought from the dealer & it is their responsibility to ensure their manufacturers give them the appropriate service. Some dealers don't care but most will. FB & forums reach a lot of potential RV buyers.
2011 Ram Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 Cummins
2015 Columbus 320RS
"Where ever you go, there you are" Buckaroo Banzai
Goukcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goukcats View Post
I would put the dealers name & describe their service across FB & all forums possible. I would stick to the facts & not make any statements that were untrue but spread the word. Show the dealer the posts & responses, & let him/her know they control the outcome of the problem. Tell the dealer it's their opportunity to become known as a dealer to avoid or one that takes care of their buyers. You bought from the dealer & it is their responsibility to ensure their manufacturers give them the appropriate service. Some dealers don't care but most will. FB & forums reach a lot of potential RV buyers.
I got a phone call from the dealer today. FR has agreed to return it to their shop at the end of the season to be repaired. I am cautiously optimistic. FR has some paperwork for us and the dealership to fill out. I will post again this fall with more information.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:23 PM   #16

I too also had the sidewall bubble and also develop a small side wall crack. I quit working with the dealer (incompetent) and talked to FR directly. It is now at the factory for repair.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:39 PM   #17

UPDATE: My rig was picked up on October 1st and taken back to FR. On November 23rd I received a phone call from the dealer where I purchased it, and the service writer, said my rig was back from FR and I needed to come get it off their lot. Since my truck was in storage and I had lost my storage spot due to the rig being sent back for repair. I needed to make arrangements to get it moved. I finally found a transporter to take if back to our seasonal lake lot. Looking at the sidewall, where the bubble was, I cannot see any remnants of the bubble or the repair. FR did a great job.

For those of you interested in The dealership I have had sooooooo much trouble with on every problem I have had with this rig, here is the dealership information.

Noble's RV
Owatonna, MN 55060
Located just of I35 across the road from Cabella's

I have dealt with three service writers and two Service Managers. I purchased the three year extended warranty but will never take it back to them for repairs. Noble's has other dealerships in Southern Minnesota and I have heard horror stories about the one in Rochester and the one in Jordan.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #18

Glad to hear you got it fixed and it looks good. Sorry to hear about your troubles. We got ours at Camping World Madison and have nothing but good to say about them. I know most don't like CW but they did great for delivery. There were a couple issues with the 320rs when it came in that they fixed before we picked it up. Everything else has been great "so far". Fingers crossed.

Thanks for posting the dealer info. I know some don't like that but it does help others know about problems dealers.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:50 PM   #19

That is delamination...It will get smaller in cold weather and of course, Larger in warm weather. I had a Flagstaff that started to delaminate after 10 months and they could NEVER fix it correctly unless they took off the outside walls and re-did them. I only had the Flagstaff for 3 1/2 years before I dumped it. FR dropped the ball on mine and couldn't / wouldn't do the job the correct way. The delamination was so severe that all 4 sides were bubbling after only 2 years. I hope you stay on top and inspect the walls on a regular basis for more delamination...It happened to me. Good Luck
Old 01-12-2017, 05:58 PM   #20

I had the same issue last year. I took it to the factory and they fixed in ten days. Great job
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote