Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #1

32BHOK-6 tow vehicles

Hello there;

Long time browser, first time poster.

I currently have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins and I was wondering if it is an adequate tow vehicle for the 32BHOK-6. I have noticed others using 3/4 tons with this particular trailer and was wondering how it handles.

My family, wife, three kids (sometimes four) and two dogs, will be doing local camping (within 500km), occasional trips through the Rockies and an ambitious trip cross country (11,000km round).

However, I do not want to get in trouble with the weight police so I have been crunching numbers. My head is swimming with GVWR, GAWR and GCWR and depending on which ones I use, I am either over or under.

On a recent trip to the free scales I obtained some real world numbers, without hitch, and compared them to Dodge's ratings
- Front Axle 4563# (GAWR 5200#)
- Rear Axle 3153# (GAWR 6010#)
- Total 7695# (GVWR 9000#)

The 32BHOK-6 has a GVWR of 12,032#, less then Dodge's max trailer of 12,950# and a pin weight of 1872# (not sure if this is max or not). If I do the math on the pin weight and the truck's GVWR assuming 200# hitch, I am close to 800# over. If I use the GAWR of the rear axle, I am close to 800# under.

I have also noticed that depending on where I look, the trailer numbers are different. The ones that I have used are from the Palomino site but I realize that the numbers could change based on what options are added.

Sorry for the blast of numbers I just want to be sure that I am not overloading my truck. I do intend on installing air bags for stability.

So in the end I am wondering if

a) My current truck is adequate for all uses, very cautious mountain towing.
b) My current trunk is adequate but consider an upgrade to a 1 ton dually if mountainous towing.
c) My current truck is adequate but consider an upgrade to a 1 ton dually for both long distance or mountainous towing.
d) Just get a 1 ton dually

I may have answered my own question but I am curious as to what other peoples experiences are with a 3/4 ton and the 32BHOK-6.

Thanks

Ben
CoachBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #2

The idea is not to exceed any of the ratings. Yes, you'll be way under some of them that aren't really relevant for RV towing (such as GCWR).

The pin weight you quote is the "dry" pin weight. You're pin weight can be between 15% to 25% of the RV weight. You may not be at your RV GVWR (but then I've seen people complain that they don't let them put enough stuff in theirs!). If I use 20% of GVWR, I end up with a pin weight of 2400 pounds. It seems like you'll be considerably over your GVWR on the truck even before you put people and "stuff" in your truck.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Always Learning

Lots of people tow over their ratings of their truck- the question is it wise and safe? There have been posts here on FRF that some people have been doing it for longer than I've been alive and have always arrived at their destinations. There have also been posts by police and lawyers telling that your liability, in the case of an accident, increases if you're significantly overweight.

Based on the numbers that you posted, you will definitely exceed one or more ratings depending on who is in the truck, what else is in the truck bed and how much you load into the fifth wheel. For instance, depending on the size of the camper and your packing habits, you could add as little as 500 pounds to the dry weight, or like me- as much as 2,500 pounds.

Though, none of this was your real question- that was, are there other 3/4-ton truck owners pulling this camper and how is their experience? Hopefully someone comes along with an answer. However, bear in mind your experience level as you evaluate answers.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #4

I tow a 34TBOK With a 05 F250 V10 and it pulls, and hauls it Great. You should be fine. Likely over a rating, so that part is up to you. I did add air bags to tighten up the rear on large bumps (like bridge joints)

I know of one member with the 32 that pulls it with a Chevy 2500 duramax. Actually, I believe his is for sale with some nice mods if your interested.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #5

I tow a 32bhok with a F250 6.2L gas short bed, it pulls and handles this trailer real well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3911875274.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	40888  
2017 Heartland Cyclone 3800
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
pjones1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #6
Camper Less Camping

You'll be fine with your Dodge...up to you on what to follow on weight limits per truck stickers.

Tags
tow vehicle