Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2015, 02:52 PM   #1

36QBOK Solar System

I have a 36QBOK 5th wheel and am looking to install a solar power system. I am thinking at starting with 2 - 100W panels and set it up to be able to add more from there.

I am looking for some advice or idea's on how to run the cables from the roof to the batteries if anyone has done something like this before.

Also, if anyone has suggestions on specific panels / systems I'm all ears for recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

2013 Sabre Palomino 36QBOK
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Dually
2010 Lincoln Navigator L
Scoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:53 PM   #2
Always Learning

I haven't done it, but isn't solar often ran down the refrigerator vent? That would get you most of the way and then from there you could go through the floor to the camper's frame. Run it inside of the frame to the front.

I do hope you pursue this and post many, many pictures!
Old 03-16-2015, 11:01 PM   #3

Here is a post I put up on the panel I put on our TBOK (sister model to your QBOK) last year.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ad.php?t=61634

The only real challenge was fishing the cable under the floor at the door in the frame and bringing up into the basement to connect to the controller. I would highly recommend a fish tape to do this.

After a year I'm really happy with this install as we are able to keep our fridge running all summer (on propane) while in the storage lot and it keeps up with the parasitic draw plus keeps the batteries topped up. Having the second battery is also nice on the cooler late summer or early fall evenings when the furnace needs to run if we are dry camping. During the winter, the batteries remain fully charged with the disconnect turned off which allowed me to not have to pull the batteries out.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
CBergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #4

Im in midst of this install. How did you remove the step? I pulled the screws but it won't pop out

2013 Sabre Palomino 36QBOK
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Dually
2010 Lincoln Navigator L
Scoffman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar