Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #41
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I guess I don't understand, I hitch, get out of the truck, flip a tab over the latch, insert and lock a padlock, loop the brake cable over the latch handle, insert the Butch shaft, plug in the elec. cord and that's it other than replacing the tonneau cover side and closing the tailgate. The trailer cannot come off the hitchplate with Butch's catch and therefore cannot drop.
You flip a tab over the latch, insert and lock a padlock. That assures your pin won't come loose and drop.

What's the point of Butch's product? i.e. why did you buy it (or make it)?
Old 07-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #42
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
You flip a tab over the latch, insert and lock a padlock. That assures your pin won't come loose and drop.

What's the point of Butch's product? i.e. why did you buy it (or make it)?
Just insurance in case the latch breaks. What's the benefit of the Blue Ox or whatever you have? Same thing. Plus, mine was free.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #43

Old 07-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #44
Site Team - Lou

We did get off topic.
Yes, you do need to "move something" to hitch (you can't with it closed) and then replace it for protection (or have it sticking out the side of the hitch).
Old 07-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #45
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
We did get off topic.
Yes, you do need to "move something" to hitch (you can't with it closed) and then replace it for protection (or have it sticking out the side of the hitch).
Gotcha. I am still curious as to what you're protecting against (I assume mechanical failure just not sure of what).

But, bakken's right - we've gone quite off topic and the silly spammer brought up an old thread anyway.

I'll let it drop.

Toodles.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #46
Always Learning

Actually, I see that OldCoot did answer that in his last message - "in case the latch breaks". With my B&W, there are jaws that close around the pin, but it's still held in place by a small pin. I could see that being a potential failure point.

Ok, back to letting it drop.
Closed Thread

Tags
5er