Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #1

AC vent leaking

We just got some heavy rain down here in Houston and we got 2 leaks in the camper. One is on one of the windows on the living room slide. The dealership told me that they had fixed it but apparently not so I need to silicon around that one again. The second one is we have water dripping out of our return air vent where the filter is.

This same leak happened in the master bed room and they told me that it was a baffle that fallen down. So they said that they stood it back up and siliconed it back into place. Since we are full times I didn't want to take it back in if it was an easy fix to do. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #2

Does anyone have any suggestion on what we could do to fix the issue?
Old 12-11-2018, 01:10 PM   #3

If the leak is indeed from the a/c opening, the only way I know to correctly fix the leak is to remove the unit and redo/replace the seal to the roof.

Might call a mobile RV repair service. Most will do warranty work. Just ensure they or you get pre-authorization first.

Good luck!!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:10 PM   #4
Site Team

You don't want to use silicone caulking around the window, Use polyurethane or Lexel around it.

As for the A/C leak. Have you taken the grill off to see if it's leaking around the gasket?

Take it off and slightly tighten the four bolts down. The spec is about 4 ft/lbs, which is not even hand tight. More like good and snug.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #5

I have not taken the cover off yet I wanted some input before I dug into it to deeply and messed something up. I will try and get up there tomorrow and look at it. My wife is sick so I have some things I have to go get her tonight. Thank you
Old 12-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #6

check from below, not on the roof. Pull the return grille off, the one where you clean the filter, remove the filter and you should see the roof opening, if not you'll have to remove the large cover, there are some screws behind little round plugs, pretty obvious. Once the large cover is down you should be able to see where the hole in the roof is and all around it should be a foam gasket. If its a roof leak more than likely you'll see evidence
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:32 AM   #7

a/c vent leak

I have a 2015 320RS and had the same issue. After two trips to the dealership they found the problem. At the factory the A/C was installed against the roof with the electrical wires between the seal and the roof allowing a easy path for water to leak in. After putting the wires back in the proper location, No more leak.
Dave Mun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #8

I went up there and I couldn't find anything. The only things I could assume was I found a place on the roof by the front part of the seal that looked like water was puddling up. I checked the AC that the dealership fixed and found they just added some extra silicone around the seal. So I did the same thing. We have had a few light rains since then and no leak. We are suppose to have a hard rain tonight so we shall see what happens.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbo 5 View Post
I went up there and I couldn't find anything. The only things I could assume was I found a place on the roof by the front part of the seal that looked like water was puddling up. I checked the AC that the dealership fixed and found they just added some extra silicone around the seal. So I did the same thing. We have had a few light rains since then and no leak. We are suppose to have a hard rain tonight so we shall see what happens.
You are not supposed to used silicone on the gasket and especially on the roof. It will just end up pealing off. If the gasket is leaking you can try tightening it from inside the camper as a short term fix. Sounds like the gasket needs to be replaced on both AC units.
Scotrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, vent