Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2016, 06:53 PM   #1

Air Conditioner Question

I have a 2015 Solaire 247rkes and I love it! I have a 4000 watt Champion generator that the dealer told me would be plenty to run the 13,500 BTU A/C. Needless to say, the Genny dies when I fire up the A/C. I have tried running it with nothing else on and same result. Any suggestions or do I need a bigger Genny?

Steve
scbrown063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:50 PM   #2

I have the same size Champion generator. It runs the AC, but just BARELY. I wouldn't dare turn anything else on. One size bigger would have been better, but I'll only use it once a year if that.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
I have the same size Champion generator. It runs the AC, but just BARELY. I wouldn't dare turn anything else on. One size bigger would have been better, but I'll only use it once a year if that.
That's true. I've only used my A/C once and I was powered up at an rv park. Other than that I use a 2200 watt Ryobi inverter Genny for the TV and microwave.

Steve
scbrown063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:17 PM   #4

I have a 2015 Solaire 247rkes and I love it! I have a 4000 watt Champion generator that the dealer told me would be plenty to run the 13,500 BTU A/C. Needless to say, the Genny dies when I fire up the A/C. I have tried running it with nothing else on and same result. Any suggestions or do I need a bigger Genny?

Odd, a 13,500 BTU should only pull 2800 to 3000 watts on start up and run at about 1500 to 2000. You might want to load test generator and insure it is putting out full power. Or you might have a failed start capacitor on the air. Now some generators you pick up at discount stores often have inflated ratings that can be gotten only under certain conditions, never been a big fan of the Champion unit.
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:26 AM   #5

altitude

I see you are from AZ, as am I, but judging from the picture you are in high country. When I go to the mountains I use the factory supplied high altitude jets on my Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator and it runs the AC just fine along with the frig. I keep the circuit breaker on the microwave and the electric water heater off.

My AC is a Dometic 13.5K

I called Champion support and they mailed me the jet at no cost. They just need a number off of the carb. I don't know for sure that your gen would need different jets but its worth a call to their support. Very easy to deal with.
Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
Winegard G2 Portable Satellite
qwkzotc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner