Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #21

I have a 320rs and have noted that the tires are Chinese. I only have 3 trips on the trailer but am getting ready to take a long trip this August. I am now officially spooked about these tires. The last thing I need is to blow a tire in the middle of Utah. With my luck, it wouldn't be just the tire that I would have to replace but repairing the damage that would occur at 65 MPH. Can you spell end of trip? I would welcome any and all opinions about the very best tires made today for this application. Thanks
travelor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelor2 View Post
I have a 320rs and have noted that the tires are Chinese. I only have 3 trips on the trailer but am getting ready to take a long trip this August. I am now officially spooked about these tires. The last thing I need is to blow a tire in the middle of Utah. With my luck, it wouldn't be just the tire that I would have to replace but repairing the damage that would occur at 65 MPH. Can you spell end of trip? I would welcome any and all opinions about the very best tires made today for this application. Thanks
My choice is Goodyear Marathons and I would get the highest load range available in your size.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #23

Response from Carlisle

Below is the e-mail repsonse to my made in the USA question. I aksed for clarification on just how to identify where an individual tire was manufactured...sent late in day, no response yet.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Gray,

Carlisle tires may be made in either a U.S. factory or elsewhere. With 66 facilities owned and operated by Carlisle Companies, all but 12 are located in the United States. As you see from these numbers, we are an American company committed to American manufacturing and standards.

You'll like the performance of our Radial Trail RH tires (be sure to specify "RH" as that indicates the latest, new and improved model).

Regards,

Tony Coffield
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #24
Trailer Trash

I ended up going with Carlisle myself on my boat trailers. Granted they are lighter than a 5th wheel RV. Again go with the highest load rating letter the wheel will allow for.

What I was saying before about tires blowing out in the hot summer sun.......Doesn't matter what you are driving or what brand tire, you just start seeing failures all over the road when you really look for them. The story about the Akuret sounds indeed like bad tires. There is another thread about Chinese made tires on the FRF site from a couple weeks ago. In that thread there was a link to a website to report tire failures. You may want to search for that.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #25
RECAT

I have been down this road before. On my previous TT. Goodyear Marathons were blowing out on most every TT in our camping group. Carlise faired no better and by the way the tap dance Carlise gave you is just that. Oldcoot is correct I spent a year contacting every tire manufacture in the US and followed this up contacting Better Business Bureau who verified that currently (as of Oct 12) no trailer tires are produced in the US. They do not sell enough to justify the factories cost. All are produced in China except Maxis (produced in Thailand) and a company in Korea that produces trailer specific tires. I went with Maxis without further incedent. In this case the same was true that the manufacture put tires that met the TT maximum weight - JUST. I am not saying that Maxis is the answer or the LT tire option. This is just further info in your search for the right answer. Also the codes on the sidewall does tell where the tire is produced. Just look up the code on any manufacuter or tire sales site.
2014 COLUMBUS 320RS
WAR EAGLE !!
REBCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by REBCAT View Post
I have been down this road before. On my previous TT. Goodyear Marathons were blowing out on most every TT in our camping group.
All are produced in China except Maxis (produced in Thailand) and a company in Korea that produces trailer specific tires. I went with Maxxis without further incident..
When I decided that I couldn't trust the no-name brand tires on my new fifth, especially when the C-rated tires the factory put on would barely carry the weight, I did a lot of research and talked to the local tire experts. They all said that Maxxis was the tire to buy, and to avoid anything made in China, even the Goodyear Marathons.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #27

What year are the bad tires on. I have a new RS320 and it has Mastertrack tires load range E with a rating of 3520 at 80 psi. I have seen no trouble so far but only been about 400 miles so far. Has any one had these tires and had problems?
Old 04-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #28

I have Mastertrack tires on my RL33. I checked the last two digits on the DOT codes and found out they were made in Poland. I went to www.harriger.com/tires.htm to decode the digits. They still look good but have not earned my trust. I am still planning on putting on Michelin XPS Ribs. I had them on my toy hauler and they were great.
Kampnnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
Below is the e-mail repsonse to my made in the USA question. I aksed for clarification on just how to identify where an individual tire was manufactured...sent late in day, no response yet.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Gray,

Carlisle tires may be made in either a U.S. factory or elsewhere. With 66 facilities owned and operated by Carlisle Companies, all but 12 are located in the United States. As you see from these numbers, we are an American company committed to American manufacturing and standards.

You'll like the performance of our Radial Trail RH tires (be sure to specify "RH" as that indicates the latest, new and improved model).

Regards,

Tony Coffield
It was my understanding that just about all trailer tires are made overseas. That doesn't mean they are bad. Goodyear moved all production of ST tires overseas last year from alabama or NC. Now Trail Express only dealer in the USA is lionhart, I think that what's it call. FR will put the cheapest tire on they can get. I'm glad to see that atleast WILDCAT is moving away from that. Sorry to see all that duct tape. I'm not sure anymore but I think that even Maxxis is now made overseas. But as always could be wrong....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
It was my understanding that just about all trailer tires are made overseas. That doesn't mean they are bad. Goodyear moved all production of ST tires overseas last year from alabama or NC. Now Trail Express only dealer in the USA is lionhart, I think that what's it call. FR will put the cheapest tire on they can get. I'm glad to see that atleast WILDCAT is moving away from that. Sorry to see all that duct tape. I'm not sure anymore but I think that even Maxxis is now made overseas. But as always could be wrong....
During my research I confirmed that all ST tires except Maxxis were made in China. However over the years when quality issues surfaced, the name brand tires Goodyear and Carlisle made good on reimbursements and then appear to have corrected the problems overseas. That being said, if sticking with an ST tire, I would go with Maxxis. I currently have Goodyear 17.5 LHT G114, with capacity of 4,850, "H" rated and no longer give tires a second thought. Just for "belt and suspenders", still have my TPMS from my ST tire days.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:10 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
During my research I confirmed that all ST tires except Maxxis were made in China. However over the years when quality issues surfaced, the name brand tires Goodyear and Carlisle made good on reimbursements and then appear to have corrected the problems overseas. That being said, if sticking with an ST tire, I would go with Maxxis. I currently have Goodyear 17.5 LHT G114, with capacity of 4,850, "H" rated and no longer give tires a second thought. Just for "belt and suspenders", still have my TPMS from my ST tire days.
You know that's funny when I had my blow out with the trail express I was in Lumberton NC. Went to Black tire Co. a GY dealer. He refused to put any other tire on then ST. Told me it was against the law. It was 4:00 PM and I told him to put them on because I still had over 125 miles to drive to the CG. I didn't want to get in the CG in the dark, you know how that go's. I was also told they where made right there in NC Fayetteville Factory. Came out they where made in China. Didn't know about codes then. Called the Manager about them, he said he didn't know that they moved all ST to overseas. Said that if I could find an American tire they would refund my money. Now how was I going to do that traveling> Had GY before they were good but they where made here. So I got to hope these hold up. Can't be buying tires every other year. Did move up to a radial and from C to D. I had no extra at all on the C rated when I went to the scales. Same with my axles. No real extra cap.........That's a real down fall of FR as all of us know. ........

Old 04-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #32

We ended up replacing the Akuret with Handkook F19 LT tires. A little taller, but plenty of room in the Columbus 365 wheel well. 750 x 16 but G rated. Handkook lists them on their website as Trailer tires.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:02 AM   #33

Where are the Hankook made?
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
Where are the Hankook made?
Korea
Old 04-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #35

My 320 just arrived at the dealer & it has Westlake tires. Any experience with those?
Goukcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:05 AM   #36
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goukcats View Post
My 320 just arrived at the dealer & it has Westlake tires. Any experience with those?
As I have stated on other threads, I personally would not pull a new camper off the dealers lot with factory tires on it if they were not Goodyear Marathon LR D or equivalent. Most factory tires are junk, unbalanced and close to load capacity.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goukcats View Post
To be honest I never heard of them. Try to google them and see who is making them. Might just be an OEM that they are using from some off wall company. I know of no company that carries Trail Express except Lionhead. So If someone wanted to keep that junk, and needed to replace one where would get it? They would have to ship it to you, no thanks.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
As I have stated on other threads, I personally would not pull a new camper off the dealers lot with factory tires on it if they were not Goodyear Marathon LR D or equivalent. Most factory tires are junk, unbalanced and close to load capacity.
I'm guessing our new Columbus 365 will probably come with Westlake, too. Do you have any tips for negotiating with the dealer to replace them with something better like the Goodyears? Would they swap them out and at least give us some kind of a credit on the no-names?
IllinoisCheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #39
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisCheesehead View Post
I'm guessing our new Columbus 365 will probably come with Westlake, too. Do you have any tips for negotiating with the dealer to replace them with something better like the Goodyears? Would they swap them out and at least give us some kind of a credit on the no-names?
No tips, I made them take the 2 yr old GY Marathon LR D off my tt and changed tires and wheels with the new 5er. They hesitated, but finally relented as I said it was a deal breaker. Don't know what to suggest. Maybe talk to you local GY dealer and work a deal or maybe your dealer can work a deal with the GY dealer. Can't hurt to ask.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #40

Our 320rs came with Westlake tires and so far, so good. We put about 10k on these tires and they seem to be holding up well. Just a suggestion, cover your tires when NOT in use and keep them away from dampness, not on wet grass, mud etc.but instead on wood boards etc.