Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #1

Another leak!

Another leak has appeared in the Columbus plumbing system. I went out this morning to dump the tanks in preparation to leave Vegas for Big Bear. Got the gray flush hose hooked up to the black flush valve, and pulled the valve on the black tank.

I had a previous leak in the black tank flush line about a week ago. I had a loose fitting on the back of the black tank flush connection that would leak water into the storage bay whenever I used the black tank flush. I pulled the back off of the water bay, found that the fitting wasn't tight, and gave it a few turns with the nut driver and all was well.

Well, today after the black tank was empty, I turned on the hose to flush the black tank. I was immediately met with a flood of water coming from the inside roof of the storage bay. Inspection showed that the there are 5 Pex water lines that run up into the roof of the storage bay on the drivers side. There is an access hole, about 3" in diameter with a plastic grommet around the hole. The water was streaming from inside the access hole. I couldn't see up into the hole, but as soon as I turned off the black tank flush, the water slowed and stopped.

All of the Pex lines and fittings that I can see from the bottom are secure and the crimp bands are tight. The water is definitely coming from up inside somewhere, and it's definitely the black tank flush line. Crap. I don't think that this is a line that is easily accessed. I don't know if removing the vanity, or the underbelly skin is in order to access the line.

I just know that I am not happy about it.
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #2

Sorry to hear that. Is your camper still under warranty? If so I'd be taking it back to the dealer.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #3

Sorry to hear about your leak SargeW. If I were you I'd take your Colombus back to the dealer so they can fix it.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #4

Yep, still a new unit guys. It's important to note here that shortly after my post last night, I received an e-mail from Christopher Columbus here on the forum. He wanted my contact number so he could put me in touch with someone.

A few hours later I got a call from Jack at Columbus warranty service dept.I had a good chat with him, and will be going to a shop near my house if necessary.

I was impressed that Christopher Columbus and John took the initiative to contact me and inquire about the problem.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
H2oski

Sarge, i sounds like the air gap valve (back flow preventer valve) is leaking or the line attaching to it. I don't have a Columbus but on mine the back flow valve is in the hallway in the camper behind a false panel in the corner cabinet. Oh ya it's on the DS of the camper. Hope this helps or you get it repaired tomorrow .
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #6

Thanks, but according to Jack at Columbus he doesn't believe that there is a back flow preventer in the line. I am going to pull off the bottom storage panel tomorrow and see if I can find the source of the leak. I will post up what ever I find.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #7

Sarge,

We had exactly the same issue with our 340RK.
The tech said there is a check valve up toward the shower that is installed incorrectly. It didn't make sense to me, but he claimed the idea for the black tank flush to route that way, if it fails it supposed to flow into the shower?
Mine just flooded the basement too.

Good luck!
Glidedriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #8

Was it difficult to get to?
Old 06-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #9

Sorry my friend, I didn't get to actually see him work on it. I don't know where he got access. Maybe behind the shower faucets?
Sorry I am not more help.
Glidedriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #10

try taking off the handles in the shower. That was where ours failed! It was right after we bought it!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #11

Yep, you guys nailed it! I haven't taken the shower valves off yet, but I traced the lines to the area behind the shower wall. It has to be the valve area. I will try tackling that tomorrow.....
Old 06-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #12

I had a leak similar to what your're describing.
I removed the housing the shower faucets are fastened to and found the connectors lose. All I had to do was hand tighten them, reinstall the housing and run a bead of silicone around it.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #13

I hope mine turns out so well!
Old 06-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #14

Did any of you end up with water in the belly. I found out this weekend that my shower drain was not tight and the water was chasing the drain pipe right down to the space with the the grey tank. I have not idea how much water has gotten down there but I guess that's the next move.
ssharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #15

OK, I chased down my leak today. After removing the shower valves and locating the back flow preventer on the black flush line, I found that was not the problem.

But in the course of freeing up the back flow valve, I had to cut a zip tie that was securing it to the wall. This allowed the Pex tubing to droop a little. When I tried the black flush again, the water started pouring out again. This time I could see from the bottom that the Pex tube itself was split about 2" up into the access hole. The split was spraying water upwards, and then it would run out of the access hole.

I wrapped the tube with a rubber tape to hold it until I get back to the dealer to have it replaced. It's amazing, I have NEVER seen a piece of Pex split before. That stuff is like iron. Go figure.