Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #21
rip

Rescan... I'm glad one of the posters in your links mentioned it, Lou. The television channel setup doesn't realize that we rotated our antenna and that different channels are now available and some no longer.

I forgot to mention that my cousin and I had to rescan every time we played around with some new direction offered as a possibility by my Sensar Pro wallplate's signal meter.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #22
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Not sure if this is correct or not but I was told that some models of TV are better than others when it comes to getting more & clearer pictures.

After installing the Wingman I get clearer pictures but seem to get less channels than before. But then I haven't put a lot of effort into trouble shooting yet either.
The Wingman makes the antenna directional for maximum range and channel reception/clarity. You need to use a program like AntennaWeb - Home for the internet or Towers App for the iPhone to tell you where to point the antenna elements at the station's transmission TOWER.

The tower may not be in the same place for all channels. So, for example to watch channel 3.1 you may need to point it north east and to watch 6.1 to the north west. The apps have a satellite (google earth maps) view with aiming lines overlaid so you can aim the antenna at a tree or building close to your camper and along that line.

I will work on some screen captures to show you what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	913th 3rd Annual Picnic and Camper photos 036.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	24032  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Protractor used to align TV antenna.pdf (219.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: pdf 2452167 RV-WINGMAN.pdf (303.4 KB, 18 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Antennaweb Screen shots

Here are some screen shots from the FAMCAMP at MacDill AFB (where we are headed) and the aim points for several channels in the Tampa-St Pete area.

NOTE: if you are aimed in the general direction of Tampa, you won't get a lot of channels, and you MAY miss out on some programming in the opposite direction since the signals will not be amplified. The TOWERS are not in town!

Many folks don't know that there are VHF digital channels and they are also still directional. UHF Digital channels (the most since that band is new) used to be NOT directional, but with very reduced range. With the Wingman or Sensar IV the range is now the same as the VHF "Bat Wings."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Antennaweb Satellite Wide angle.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	24036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antennaweb Satellite at Camper.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	24037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antennaweb Roadmap Wide angle.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	24038  
Old 02-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #24

Just thought this would also make some good reading; as I had compared the Sensar III with the Sensar IV
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lts-29344.html

I have been helping a friend shop for a trailer recently, and I have also been surprised at seeing so many with the Sensar III still. Yes, I know it is cheaper. However I paid $70 for my Sensar IV head, so on a $15,000 trailer the cost difference cannot be significant.

What should be fun is my buddy's new Grey Wolf has a different antenna than the ones I had previously tested. Once I have some new results I will be sure to update my thread.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #25
Site Team - Lou

If you have not looked at the PDF on moding your camper's antenna crank with a clear plastic circular protractor (below post). Just orient the zero degree mark with North, then refer to the station print out to fine tune the antenna.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Not sure if this is correct or not but I was told that some models of TV are better than others when it comes to getting more & clearer pictures.
I agree, tv prices for a certain size can vary. KMart can sell an no name 27" tv for alot cheaper than Best Buy sells a 27" name brand. The reason for this, quality of componants. The most important actual part of the tv for receiving a signal is the tuner. Cheaper tv probably has a cheaper tuner that won't pick up channels as well as a tv with a decent tuner.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:12 AM   #27

it may be that the iv has a better amplifier than the 3. that would make it pull in more channels. if it only cost $15 more for the 4, i would go for it.

had a chance to talk to some emplyoees form our local tv station tonight. according to them, they still broadcast on the vhf band. my second question was if i tuned to chanel 7 here and went to another area, would the freq be the same. did not get a clear answer on that.
digital signals seem to act like they are on a much higher freq. ie aiming has to be more precise. that would also be the case if they were using a narrower bandwidth. the old channels were 6mhz. they may be putting several in that same space now.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
it may be that the iv has a better amplifier than the 3. that would make it pull in more channels. if it only cost $15 more for the 4, i would go for it.
Jim,

The IV has the same amp internals as the III; it just has the external UHF focusing elements permanently mounted to the while plastic amplifier head.

The III can easily be converter to the IV by adding the Wingman Adapter.

Herk
Old 02-08-2013, 11:58 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Jim,

The IV has the same amp internals as the III; it just has the external UHF focusing elements permanently mounted to the while plastic amplifier head.

The III can easily be converter to the IV by adding the Wingman Adapter.

Herk
thats good. i would prefer the better antenna to a amplifier. (not that i don't want both).

when we camp in TN, we are on the fringe for several (all) the stations. the add on strip helps enough to be noticed on a signal strength meter.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:54 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The Wingman makes the antenna directional for maximum range and channel reception/clarity. You need to use a program like AntennaWeb - Home for the internet or Towers App for the iPhone to tell you where to point the antenna elements at the station's transmission TOWER.

The tower may not be in the same place for all channels. So, for example to watch channel 3.1 you may need to point it north east and to watch 6.1 to the north west. The apps have a satellite (google earth maps) view with aiming lines overlaid so you can aim the antenna at a tree or building close to your camper and along that line.

I will work on some screen captures to show you what I mean.
Thanks Herk! I was going about it wrong with the "one stop" position. Even worst, without any programs like AntennaWeb.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:19 AM   #31
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

After I ripped of my antenna off of my last camper for the second time, I switched to the Jack antenna and I was pleased with it. Compared to my new camper the Jack antenna ran circles aroung this new one. I believe this is due to bad connections an I have been reading on the forum!!
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
thats good. i would prefer the better antenna to a amplifier. (not that i don't want both).

when we camp in TN, we are on the fringe for several (all) the stations. the add on strip helps enough to be noticed on a signal strength meter.
Jim,

All RV antennas have internal amplifies. The Winegard Sensar antennas have the actual amplifier in the white plastic box that contains the bat wing VHF elements and a ROUND UHF antenna that fits in the white box. Inside the UHF loop sits the signal amplifier circuitry. The wall plate IS NOT the amplifier; it is the power supply FOR the amplifier on the roof. It also serves to switch the TV1 and TV2 outputs on the plate from the roof antenna to the CABLE connection outside the camper.

The Wingman leading UHF elements "focus" the incoming UHF signal ONTO the loop antenna. EACH UHF cross bar increases the gain of the antenna by each succeeding element. The more elements, the more gain from the stack.

In this antenna, the swept back elements are the VHF elements and the vertical bars and short 90 degree blades are for UHF signals. The short bars increase the gain of the signal and the vertical bars collect it and send it down the wire to the tuner.

If you want to use the Wingman, but it does not fit due to an obstruction, you can saw off up to one element off the end and it will still work; just have less range.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	h6593020-f_MT.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	24129  

Tags
antenna