Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #1

Anyone towing a Columbus using a Superglide slider

I recently ordered a new Columbus with a Trailaire Rot flex Pin Box. Is there anyone using a SuperGlide Slide hitch with this combination?? Are there Any height or adjustments issues I should be concerned with??
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:53 AM   #2
Chuck P.

I have this setup for my Columbus 340RK. It is an easy hitch/unhitch process along with drive-ability. To my knowledge there were no adjustments required.
This the first fifth wheel I've owned and will never go back to a Class A MH.
chasphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #3

I do.

If you are talking about the Roto Flex without all the shocks on it that is what I have with a 2900 SuperGlide. Just need to make sure you stay within the spec of (I think 10 degrees of center for hitching and unhitching) A few times I had to pull the head pins and raise the head out of the Superglide and than release. No big deal, I love the Superglide. Keep it lubed.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #4

You are correct David. That is exactly the set-up I will have. After reading some reviews was that the 2900 super-glide has no height adjustment so When installed in my RAM, it sits 20 inches high! My concern was not having enough adjustment at the pin box to get the right trailer height.
Do you also pull a Columbus FW??
Old 07-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #5

I am pulling a Palomino Sabre 32RCTS. I clear just fine with my 2013 F-350. Let me know if I can take any measurements. Maybe top of hitch plate to top of bed rails? Than you can compare to your rig. We are out camping in the girl right now so if I can be of any help, let me know.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #6

It is going to be high depending on the truck. I have a 1 ton F350 4x4, and the trailer sits about 8 inches high. You can get about 5 inches of drop by adjusting the kingpin box and getting the shorty legs for the Pullrite. If your trailer axles spring are under the axles, you can move the axles under the springs and get 4-5" of rise at the axles (my trailer was already setup that way).
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #7

I just got a 325rl and first 5th wheel. I equipped my 2003 250 with it. I just drove to Charleston sc from sw VA. The GPS took a God forsaken way it was a fine setup. My question is to other super glide owners is that lifting the rig to get it a bit off the 5th wheel it raises the truck. Is this normal?
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
I am pulling a Palomino Sabre 32RCTS. I clear just fine with my 2013 F-350. Let me know if I can take any measurements. Maybe top of hitch plate to top of bed rails? Than you can compare to your rig. We are out camping in the girl right now so if I can be of any help, let me know.
David
Thank you for your reply. I did send you some questions via e-mail I hope you receive them. I was wondering if hitch sits as high as your bed rails?? And how much clearance you have between your bed rails and FW when hitched. You also probably use the same capture plate that I will need, do you know what PN you are using??
Thanks again for your time.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
My question is to other super glide owners is that lifting the rig to get it a bit off the 5th wheel it raises the truck. Is this normal?

On my superglide setup as I drop my front landing gear my truck comes up about 2 inches which is from te pin weight squatting it. As soon as the pin weight is off the truck the pin box seperates from hitch about 1/2". I then pull out slowly and never had it hang up and lift my truck up. I do spray the plate and rails with wd40 everytime I hitch up as recommended by pullrite. Some people I've heard of using slip plate on the plate. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #10

Todouble

Dah, sometimes you overthink things and have other things going on that you overlook the obvious...thanks for bringing me back to reality
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:27 PM   #11

You cannot use a Teflon lube plate w SuperGlide. No clearance issues with my Ram 3500. Hitch is well below the rails and my bed cover does a great job protecting it from the elements. If you are lifting your truck, you are not paying attention to the 1/8" space needed to pull away from the kingpin. 16* is the max L/R off straight where you can hitch/drop off your Big C. If ifs more than that just release the pins, mentioned earlier above post, raise the kingpin to clear, then pull away, go back and pull the handle (while holding the weight) and it just drops away. Replace it in the hitch and be happy.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbus, slide, towing