Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2015, 07:55 AM   #1

Back up Camera

I would like to install a back up camera on our Columbus 320RS. I.m not sure which type to get. I don't want to spend a lot of money and not have it work well. Is the wired or the wireless type better? Anybody tried any yet? Our Columbus is 37 feet long, so a wireless one would need to work at least that distance or more.
Thanks

2015 Columbus 320RS
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
paluka44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:08 AM   #2

Hi Frank, like back bumper discussions, there's tons of discussions on backup cameras. Do a search and enjoy. I've pasted a link below to one of the discussions. The issue with the less expensive cameras is that they are made to be put on the rear of a truck or car and do not have the power to pump the signal from the back of an RV to the TV. So, as always, folks have gotten creative and/or bought more expensive camera kits. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ply-33506.html
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:15 AM   #3

I have a Furrion Backup camera on my 5th wheel. It is wireless and does not work well. It even loses signal while sitting still. There tech support is terrible will not call you back. Stay away from Furrion
2012 3/4 ton GMC Z71 Diesel
Dennis Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:23 AM   #4
Broke and happy

I have a similar RV the Columbus 320RK. I recentely bought a RV Rear Safety wireless camera. I installed it and found that it dropped signal way to much. I contacted waranty and they sent me antenna booster kit at no charge. Now It works very well, and will only momentarily drop signal when driving by allot of restaurants/ gas stations that have microwave or wireless noise. The night and day screen resolution is very good. Its half the cost of the trendy Voyager, and probably works just as well.

RVS-CW-CAM | Wireless Quad Camera System with Cigarette Lighter Adaptor | Rear View Safety
bobfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:49 AM   #5

I just got mine,like the one mentioned in the installed a backup camera thread,installed yesterday.Pulled the power from the inside like in a compartment in the back of 5er.Used a phone charger plugin to bring the 12 volt down to 5 volts for the camera.I like it.I can take my truck over 100 yds away and still have great reception.I did some experimenting with wrapping the camera with a plastic bag,because it's not water proof and the picture works and looks just fine.Got another 5 volt plugin for the monitor and everything is good.I did mount the monitor in the back window so I see it from the rear view mirror.The picture that's transmitted is reversed.Works really good and I believe it will work just fine.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:27 AM   #6
Swift2

Installed mine camera to day so haven't Had a chance to check it out on the road yet. It was wireless and I wired it into the center marker light for power about a ft. Down from the top. I drilled in to the Back of the trailer into the cabinet inside and mounted the antenna unit in the cabinet inside.
Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:07 AM   #7

Thanks for the links and info.

2015 Columbus 320RS
Old 01-27-2015, 01:33 PM   #8

Just got my rig last weekend and it has the wireless camera already on it, still have to check it out. I think its wired to the lights so I may have to have the rig hooked to the truck with lights on to get it to work. Let me know if anyone knows different.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:14 PM   #9

I have one for sale. Asking $300 usd plus shipping

Never Used, Brand New in the Box

Retails for $399.00 + tax

FRC12TA-BL
Wireless Backup Camera System
Furrion's backup camera system boast amazing features with the latest in digital wireless technology, eliminating interference from the outside environment. The powerful infrared wide angle lens camera digitally locks to the 4.2" LCD color display providing over 100ft of seamless long distant video transfer.

-Vibrationsmart
-Climatesmart
-Digital wireless technology
-Direct monitor pairing

Camera:
Water proof (IP65), 12 volt camera
Digital wireless technology with direct monitor pairing
External antenna for long distance signal transfer
Wide angle lens
Infrared night vision
Adjustable camera angle
Shaded camera for low glare
Safety tested and FCC certified

Wireless Backup Camera System - FURRION
SurveyorWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:03 AM   #10
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Try putting the backup system on the for sale thread. Get buried here no one will see.

I have the same system it works but the receiver is to small a screen and they do not offer a larger one. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:07 AM   #11

Stay away from Elite. When you need it you do not get reception
hilitephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:10 PM   #12

I ordered this wireless system form my RS320. It picks up some interference but works well.

7" Monitor With Wireless Mounted RV Backup Camera
2015 Nights Camped 72
2016 42
2017 15 so far
Fred and Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:51 PM   #13

This one looks good. Thanks

2015 Columbus 320RS
Old 08-02-2015, 02:07 PM   #14

We have a 2015 Columbus 320RS that came with the camera all ready installed. They have changed it once, because it did not work right (don't know if they changed the camera, monitor, or both) & the second still does the same thing.... freezing up, blank screen, etc. Not real happy with this system right now. I thing it would be great... if it worked! I think it is a Elite system that came with the camper.
Morgans Cove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:38 PM   #15

Mine too and i made them change in to the voyerger brand and forest river gave the ok to change it out so insist to have it changed.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:22 PM   #16

Back up camery

Thank you, kidtexas! I am calling our dealer tomorrow! We appreciate the information.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:01 PM   #17

Mine came with the lower model Furrion which didn't work worth beans. The only time it was some what usable was when drove through a "tunnel" such as trees or buildings. I assume the signal would bounce and work then. I emailed Furrion support then talked to them. Very good support, the person said "oh yes that is a faulty camera. We will send you a new system and upgrade it to the observation model. I installed and a short 20 mile trip it seems to work better. We leave Friday for a week so hopefully it will work as designed.
16k Reese Titan Slider
40 gal ATI Transfer tank
Load Lifter 5000 Airbags
glraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:34 PM   #18

We have been back & forth with our dealer over the Elite rear view camera that came with our 2015 Columbus 320RS. They have now changed it to a "Drive" with a "booster antenna that is a wire from the monitor mounted antenna slot to an antenna similar to the Elite, & is to be mounted by tape to the vehicle thru the rear slide window. PROBLEM: We do not have a rear slide window, & are not real excited about sticking something on our 2015 Ford truck! They are trying to tell us that the problem is actually the Ford truck. This new system did not work any better than the Elite. We finally threw the antenna in the bed of the truck running the wire out the side window. It seemed to work a little better, but SERIOUSLY?? Is this the BEST they can do? Besides freezing or dropping all signal, when it does display a picture, it is in REVERSE. We are very frustrated right now.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:59 AM   #19
Broke and happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgans Cove View Post
We have been back & forth with our dealer over the Elite rear view camera that came with our 2015 Columbus 320RS. They have now changed it to a "Drive" with a "booster antenna that is a wire from the monitor mounted antenna slot to an antenna similar to the Elite, & is to be mounted by tape to the vehicle thru the rear slide window. PROBLEM: We do not have a rear slide window, & are not real excited about sticking something on our 2015 Ford truck! They are trying to tell us that the problem is actually the Ford truck. This new system did not work any better than the Elite. We finally threw the antenna in the bed of the truck running the wire out the side window. It seemed to work a little better, but SERIOUSLY?? Is this the BEST they can do? Besides freezing or dropping all signal, when it does display a picture, it is in REVERSE. We are very frustrated right now.

There may be some truth in the "Problem is with the Ford" . I have a different brand ..rear view safety. They had to send me a booster antenna like you describe. I run mine along the dash, out and, up the windshield strip, and along the door frame where its magnetic mount is above the passenger side on roof. Camera works great now, but it will knock out the vehicle TPMS system. This occurs about 20 minute after turning on the lights to run the camera. The tire light for the Ford indicates malfunction. I am considering adding a shield to the Ford sensor.
bobfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:39 AM   #20

Rear Camera

Since our Ford truck is a 4 door, and the antenna for the camera has a stick on mount rather than a magnet, I honestly don't know how they expect you to use your vehicle for anything besides your camper. I know this sounds picky, but I don't want to drive around with the monitor on the dash board all the time because of this antenna wire/antenna arrangement.

What is a Ford sensor shield & how does it work? Where do you get them?

Tags
back up camera