Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #1

Bad Trip report

We just finished a 4 week trip between Southern Calif and Winnipeg Canada. We have a 2013 Columbus 320rs that we bought in Oct of 2012. We had a converter issue and a hot water heater issue right out of the box on our first trip, but then everything seemed to work OK. On our 3rd night out on our way to Canada, I pushed the button to put out the bed slide, and you guessed it, nothing happened. We spent the rest of the trip with the bed in the closed position. We did have the use of the bed, but we got real tired of climbing over it to get to the closet and climbing over each other at night. The worst part of it was the inability to have the side windows open to get air circulating. The weather was hot and humid and we spent a couple of nights on the couch because it was just too hot upstairs. I stopped at a big RV dealer in Bismarck, ND and made some inquiries about repairs. I was told that they could look at it in about 3 weeks. When I told them what was wrong, the service guy said he was not surprised. They had replaced numerous motors in the Swintek slides and they were becoming more and more of an issue. I think he mentioned something about Chinese junk and I don't mean a boat. I traded off my last trailer because it was starting to nickel and dime me and I could not trust it anymore. Now I have a brand new trailer and I cant trust it either. My dealer is 110 miles away and I am getting very tired of going back there. (That part is my fault. I should never have gone that far) My local dealer will not work on any trailer that he did not sell. I am getting tired of the whole RV thing. So much for Amish workmanship and quality products. Sorry for the rant.
travelor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #2

I don't think the amish built the slide motor unless they live in China too, but frustrating non the less...
And being from Winnipeg not sure which is worse, leaving so cal for the 'peg, or the trailer issues...
let us know what it ends up being that is wrong...
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote