Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #1

Battery cut off switch

Has anyone tried turning off there cut off switch in the 320RS what does it turn off???? We have had our 320 in storage for 6 weeks and went today to do a few things to if and the battries were dead had the switch off all this time, did not disconnect neg. cable should I have done that?? We also have 2 12 volt batt.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #2

I remove my batteries and place in the basement cause it gets real cold here, you had a drain thats is why they are dead, prob clock did it to ya

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

A few things could have happened.
  • Most likely is, depending where the disconnect is located, the batteries could still have a parasitic drain somewhere in the line. Disconnects work best when they are close to the batteries.
  • Batteries were stored without a full charge
  • Batteries are not holding a charge for some reason. If it happens again, you will want to test them.
  • The time between charges was too long. I doubt this was it but thought I'd mention it anyway. My two 6-volts will last much longer than 6-weeks even in the cold. I live in WI and never remove them from my trailer.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #4

Ideally, the battery cut off switch should kill all 12V supplied to the rig. When they are on, the propane detector and the radio are two of the biggest draws. Do a test to see if your switch is wired correctly. My buddy's switch has to be pulled out to kill his camper, but a guy that camps with us some, you have to push his in to kill his. They look like the same switch. Yours may even be switch that turns from off to on, just check and make sure it is wired correctly. You may even have a defective switch.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #5

Any battery will "self discharge" over time. You didn't mention size or age but most folks use a tender or top up every few weekds esp over winter. Dead over 6 weeks sounds like a bit pre mature, but others point there are lots of factors. Best to top up often, once discharged they will never come back.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
Denver, CO

Sump ting is wrong with your setup if the batteries are in good shape. You should have the batteries checked by a battery shop and also check your trailer wiring to see if you have parasitic drains with the battery switch turned off.

Maybe someone has a clamp meter to check what kind of amp drain you are seeing with the switch off.

I your battery has been drained in freezing weather it is toast and you will need new ones. Boohoo
Old 02-24-2013, 04:29 AM   #7

On our Columbus 320 RS the six way leveling system panel is still on even though our battery switch is switched off. Therefore we are getting parasitic drain from the leveling system. I keep my 2 6-volts on a trickle charge just because of that. Hope this is helpful.

Mark/Jeannie
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
On our Columbus 320 RS the six way leveling system panel is still on even though our battery switch is switched off. Therefore we are getting parasitic drain from the leveling system. I keep my 2 6-volts on a trickle charge just because of that. Hope this is helpful.

Mark/Jeannie
Hmmmm.... that is interesting, wonder why? Normally is a battery cut off is installed properly, it cuts all power. It should be wired directly in between the main + and - cables. I am going to have to look into this one so I dont have the same problem. I do not have access to power where I store my unit.
2013 Columbus 320RS
Maryland
Times camping in 2013 - 5
Sporoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporoo

Hmmmm.... that is interesting, wonder why? Normally is a battery cut off is installed properly, it cuts all power. It should be wired directly in between the main + and - cables. I am going to have to look into this one so I dont have the same problem. I do not have access to power where I store my unit.
Look for small fused leads at + terminal, mine has two, one for steps other for? Niether draws power when main cut off. Hydraulic pump always connected, no usage when main is cut off.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #10

When I purchased my 2012 Sabre 31RETS-6 in January 2012 it did not come with at battery disconnect switch. I requested the dealer add one which they did. They located the switch in a very convenient place, on the left wall of the basement next to the 12 V plug and cable connection. They wired it into the fuse panel. When in the off position there is still 12 volt power to the front landing gear and bedroom slide. There does not seem to be any drain on the battery. The only thing I worry about is someone messing with my landing gear legs while it is at the storage facility. Goes to show you that dealer employees don't know a lot about what they are working on. I guess I should have made them change it but that would have required another trip back to the dealer. I have always installed these myself and put them near the battery and used the negative battery cable. Live and learn.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ret2006 View Post
When I purchased my 2012 Sabre 31RETS-6 in January 2012 it did not come with at battery disconnect switch. I requested the dealer add one which they did. They located the switch in a very convenient place, on the left wall of the basement next to the 12 V plug and cable connection. They wired it into the fuse panel. When in the off position there is still 12 volt power to the front landing gear and bedroom slide. There does not seem to be any drain on the battery. The only thing I worry about is someone messing with my landing gear legs while it is at the storage facility. Goes to show you that dealer employees don't know a lot about what they are working on. I guess I should have made them change it but that would have required another trip back to the dealer. I have always installed these myself and put them near the battery and used the negative battery cable. Live and learn.
Yup!
2013 Columbus 320RS
Maryland
Times camping in 2013 - 5
Sporoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #12
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ret2006 View Post
Why the negative terminal? I've always used the positive for the disconnect and the negative for the battery monitor shunt...
Old 02-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post

Why the negative terminal? I've always used the positive for the disconnect and the negative for the battery monitor shunt...
^^^ That is a big debate here and elsewhere and a quick search will show you many good arguments for both negative and positive. I place mine off of positive because that is how we did it with our power and sail boats. Blue Sea recommends installing off of the positive terminal per American Boat and Yacht Council standards. I figure that the ABYC would have done their homework in order to recommend this to boaters as the repercussion of incorrect wiring are inherently more dangerous on a boat than on a trailer IMO. I guess I just default to their supposed authority.

edit: I should also add that I do not really see the danger in adding it to negative. Check out this discussion...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ide-16556.html

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
The consensus among a lot of people was almost 50 - 50 to use the negative vs positive side. Since using the negative side was going to be a lot easier and quicker to complete the install, that was the reason.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #15

Either side (+ or -) accomplishes the same thing. In the 320RS the cutoff sw is in the basement, on the aft wall, stbd side. Seems like a long way from the batts. I bet there are other connections made either directly to the batts or at least before the cutoff sw so as to allow some parasitic drain to occur. Try turning OFF the cutoff sw then go thru EACH and EVERY DC circuit (probably at the fuse panel) and meter each one to see if there is power. If not, then check each DC power sw on ALL DC equip and see it turns ON. If it does, there is your drain. Check the propane detector and CO detector as well. They are usually hard-wired in to the DC system and NOT powered off by any sw or fuse. As TRIGUY has mentioned - if RV manufaturerers would go by what ABYC does (as far as electrical) RV's would be much better prepared to meet the travel and weather consequences we endure. Yeah, it would not be cheap.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #16

Update
Talked to dealer today about cut=off switch he had a 320 in service bay and went out and turned the switch off to see what it would kill and he said that he could not see anything that it turned off, he was going to call the Columbus factory and talk to them about it,also took batteries to a Interstate battery store as that was the brand that was put in and had them check then out and charge them they said all was fine with them and they charged them up will pickup later this week. Will let everyone know what dealer finds out.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #17
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
^^^ That is a big debate here and elsewhere and a quick search will show you many good arguments for both negative and positive. I place mine off of positive because that is how we did it with our power and sail boats. Blue Sea recommends installing off of the positive terminal per American Boat and Yacht Council standards. I figure that the ABYC would have done their homework in order to recommend this to boaters as the repercussion of incorrect wiring are inherently more dangerous on a boat than on a trailer IMO. I guess I just default to their supposed authority.

edit: I should also add that I do not really see the danger in adding it to negative. Check out this discussion...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ide-16556.html
Oh my, sorry I asked. I'm also a sailboat guy so it's positive. AND MY SWITCH IS RED. Lol
Old 03-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #18

For my two cents worth. I am planning on putting in a marine two battery switch close to the batteries in the front compartment. The marine switch is sealed so no sparks. I will also have the option of running on one or two at a time. Can't wait until my 320rs comes in.
txcolumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #19

update
Got batteries put back in trailer this past weekend and tried the cut off switch to see what it turned off and all lights,co2, propane detector would not work with the switch off just the 6 point leveling worked, with the switch on all lights and co2 propane dect. worked just fine. I left the batteries in and will check this week to see if there is a draw on them with the cut off switch off. could the converter not be charging the batteries??? only camped in it 2 times last year as we took delivery of it in Nov.2012 both times plugged into power.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #20
Denver, CO

The cutoff switch may disconnect the converter also? If you check voltage you can find out. With converter on and switch off the battery should be at 13.x volts. If not then not hooked up or not working.