Old 03-16-2018, 02:31 PM   #1

Blowing 15 AMP fuse that feeds main slides

So here is one for all of you.

I am blowing a 15 amp DC fuse that feeds my two main slides. (slide move in/out ok) itís everything in the side, lights and fridge. Radio works but I imagine it is not wired to this fuse.
Discovered this when I tried to turn on the fridge several weeks ago. Just got back from a 17 day trip and all was well on gas and AC. When we were heading out I replaced 4-5 fuses until one held and away we went. Before we left one funny thing happened. Had AC applied, fridge on. Checked when I went to bed all ok. Checked the next AM fuse blown so one would think it is with the fridge. Came home yesterday, unpacked, fridge, all stuff in slide off, no AC, battery on. Checked this AM, fuse blown. NOTHING was on or drawing DC in the slides. Has blown with slide in and out. I swear it seems to be the cold, was 32 degrees last night. Seems when it warms up the fuse holds ok.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Took a quick look under slides at wiring and nothing seems pinched but it is such a mess of wires who knows.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Are you sure it is 15 amp and not 30??
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 47 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:57 PM   #3

Labeled 15 amp

It's labeled 15 amp and has always been. The only 30 amp DC fuses I have are to the two that you can reset. When this fuse is blown the slides still extend and retract so it has nothing to do with the slide motors. The only things in the slides that that I can think of are DC are, Radio, lights, antenna amp, fridge. Radio works with blown fuse, have not checked the antenna amp, not sure if that is AC or DC driven.

More thoughts welcome.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #4
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

What type of camper
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 47 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYE View Post
What type of camper
Profile shows
RV Brand = Palomino Sabre; RV Year and Model = 2014 32RCTS

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 40; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #6
Not a newbie

Semi-related comment ......

Fuses and breakers pop for four primary reasons.

1. Wires grounding out. Wiggle all accessible wire bundles and check for blown fuse. (or sparks or fire)

2. A component that draws too much current. Operate individual components with amp meter attached to power wire and compare to specs and check for blown fuse. Hint: a component that draws 12-15 amps with a 15 amp fuse is the number one suspect. Don't forget that it may be the component drawing excessive current OR what the component is moving may be binding.

3. Weak fuse or circuit breaker. (Really common). If it's a weak fuse, one replacement will fix it. If it's a weak breaker, swap out with another same amp breaker and test.

4. Extra load added to circuit. Like that amp you added to the stereo!
Johnfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYE View Post
What type of camper
Palomino 5th wheel.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:44 PM   #8

Good Input

Hey JOHNFORT.

Great suggestions and I will certainly check for some of those things, but to clarify this fuse blew during the night with nothing in the slides turned on. I agree something must be drawing current to make this blow. Right now it is working fine. Maybe I am missing something that is on this circuit?? I will see if I can find somethings like a propane alarm or such. I would venture to say that if just left alone it would blow again during the night. Could outside moisture or cold have anything to do with it?

Also I did not add any circuit, I was referring to the TV antenna amplifier that is standard with the unit.

Thanks again.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
So here is one for all of you.

I am blowing a 15 amp DC fuse that feeds my two main slides. (slide move in/out ok) it’s everything in the side, lights and fridge. Radio works but I imagine it is not wired to this fuse.
Discovered this when I tried to turn on the fridge several weeks ago. Just got back from a 17 day trip and all was well on gas and AC. When we were heading out I replaced 4-5 fuses until one held and away we went. Before we left one funny thing happened. Had AC applied, fridge on. Checked when I went to bed all ok. Checked the next AM fuse blown so one would think it is with the fridge. Came home yesterday, unpacked, fridge, all stuff in slide off, no AC, battery on. Checked this AM, fuse blown. NOTHING was on or drawing DC in the slides. Has blown with slide in and out. I swear it seems to be the cold, was 32 degrees last night. Seems when it warms up the fuse holds ok.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Took a quick look under slides at wiring and nothing seems pinched but it is such a mess of wires who knows.
I'm confused. (so what else is new) You keep saying fridge. Do you have a 3 way fridge in your 5th wheeler? Unusual. So you kept putting 15 amp fuses in until one held? What exactly does the fuse control? I'm ASSUMING just the lights in the slide. If blowing with the slide in I'm guessing the lights are off so I'm gonna lean toward a skinned 12 volt hot wire. Are both slide lights on this fuse?
Old 03-16-2018, 03:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
Hey JOHNFORT.

Great suggestions and I will certainly check for some of those things, but to clarify this fuse blew during the night with nothing in the slides turned on. I agree something must be drawing current to make this blow. Right now it is working fine. Maybe I am missing something that is on this circuit?? I will see if I can find somethings like a propane alarm or such. I would venture to say that if just left alone it would blow again during the night. Could outside moisture or cold have anything to do with it?

Also I did not add any circuit, I was referring to the TV antenna amplifier that is standard with the unit.

Thanks again.
Anything is possible with an RV but technically the answer is no.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:24 PM   #11
Not a newbie

Moisture, slim chance, though possible. What else doesn't work when the fuse is out or blown?

List the items, then one by one, disconnect the item AT the item. If one of the disconnected items allows the fuse to keep working, it's the culprit.

If all items are disconnected and it still blows, it's a wire short to ground.

Start with the 12 volt to the fridge. The 12 volt to a 2 way fridge runs the circuit board and light, I think.

If the 12 volt to the fridge is the culprit, it's probably a bad circuit board. Search the forms for Dinosaur boards, a top notch replacement. Look at your circuit board for burned areas.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:25 PM   #12
Site Team

Check the wiring harness under the slide. The wires are usually in or attached to a flexible plastic strip that is designed to keep the wires from being damaged. It is possible this broke and the wiring is pinched or damaged.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:28 PM   #13

I was having the same problem with a 30 amp slideout fuse blowing but not every time.
I replaced with a slow blow/reset type fuse. No more problems with blown fuse.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:31 PM   #14
Site Team

I'm thinking you might have a damaged wire. Like Flybob suggested, check the wiring to the slide to make sure everything's fine. It's entirely possible that it's just some insulation that was torn, and then when it's cold and condensation forms, it's shorting out, but when it's warm and dry, there's no short.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:34 PM   #15
Not a newbie

Excellent idea on the slide wire bundle. When I did my own two day PDI on my new TT I was amazed at all of the POTENTIAL issues I found.

The most surprising one was that ALL wire bundles were TIGHTLY wire tied and secured to the TT causing strain on the wires. They need to flex and move freely. I loosened and repositioned lots of wires and bundles. The "dish" coax was nearly cut in two.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:43 PM   #16

I left the 12 volts to the fridge out of the equation because the OP said the fridge was off. I have to assume there is no 12 volt to the board at that point. I have been wrong. I prop the door open in storage but never paid attention to the light because the battery is disconnected.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:45 PM   #17
Not a newbie

No true. Keep it in the loop, on or off.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfort View Post
No true. Keep it in the loop, on or off.
Guess I lert sompin' today,
Old 03-16-2018, 05:04 PM   #19

Thanks

Hey guys. I really appreciate the help and ideas. Please keep them coming. I will try to answer all the questions posed in the last few replies.

It is a 2 way fridge. Gas/Elec
What doesn't work with the fuse out?
Lights in both main slides (dining and living)
Fridge (wont turn on resides in LR slide)
Stove exhaust fan and light

The tv antenna amp and the radio/DVD player, although located in the slides still work.

So. I agree with all the wiring shorts, chaffing etc but the strange thing is I try 3 fuses in a row they blow immediately either with the converter or on battery. I wait a few hours, haven't changed a thing or moved a slide NOTHING and and the 4th works. Vey strange.

Here is something I could use guidance on.

I pulled the electrical panel cover off and there are two wires going to the fuse. I tried one at a time and found one works each slides stuff. My main concern of course is not being able to use the fridge when we go out but perhaps the non fridge slide (dining room) is causing the issue. I know when the fuse blows I can try each wire individually and see which blows the fuse. That is IF THE FUSE IS STILL BLOWING.

I Have 3 empty fuse slots on the circuit board. Can I separate the two slide wires into two individual circuits if I fuse the new circuit with a 15 amp fuse? Are all those fuse slots active on the circuit board? If I can do this I will know for sure which slide is blowing the fuse and this will help troubleshoot the issue.

If the dining room slide is causing the issue I can certainly live without lights until fixed but the fridge will still work. If it is the living room side with the fridge, well at least I will know that for sure and can proceed.

Thanks

Old 03-16-2018, 05:05 PM   #20
Not a newbie

cavie, every day I learn just how little I know.

Tags
fuse, slide