Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #81

Glad to hear that they are getting things resolved, Doug.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #82
In Search of a Vacation

Glad you got some good responses back from them!! That does give us hope that ours comes back in the condition that it's supposed to. The only thing now is I'm now hoping that your VIN didn't get mixed up with mine since they have both been there at the same time.. Mine was supposed to go through PDI today but I didn't hear anything back from them today.

Good luck and please keep us updated!
Old 01-21-2014, 07:12 AM   #83

I'm really glad they're stepping up to do the right thing. I had some warranty experiences with my Sabre and dealt with Gary; found him to be helpful and sincere. Best of luck. Hopefully you'll have your Sabre back to you in 100% status in time for some camping!
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #84
Always Learning

Another update - good so far.

I just got off of the phone with Gary and the plant manager. Both apologized again for the mix-up. They explained a little more of what happened (longest story shortest, they confused serial numbers on mine and another that was done; mine never should have been sent back).

They did acknowledge that they're not certain what happened to the water filter, but that it was winterized by blowing out the lines. I'm guessing that they simply forgot to empty the water filter. My concern is what else did they forget?

At this point, assuming the weather holds out- we have a schedule in place for them to pickup the camper by the end of the week/beginning of next week and then for me to travel out in early February to spend a few days testing the camper and looking for the slightest imperfections. They'll then transport it back to me and hopefully this whole thing will be a blip in my radar.

As before- the words are all correct and what I was hoping for. The actions seem positive so far. Gary coordinated the call between the parties that I wanted to speak together at once with. Additionally, I've already heard from the transport company about getting a drive together for picking the unit up (after my issues with them dropping it off - the driver literally called me when he was 10 minutes away).
Old 01-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #85

You know a broken water filter housing would be a real show stopper, for whatever reason. Maybe a good idea for me to have a spare.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #86
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
You know a broken water filter housing would be a real show stopper, for whatever reason. Maybe a good idea for me to have a spare.
A spare or the plumbing fixtures to bypass it. Sure is a show stopper- I couldn't run water (or more accurately, pink stuff) in the thing if I wanted to right now.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #87

It sounds like everything will be made right Doug. I like it that you will be able to test everything near the factory. Do you plan to stick around when they winterize it?

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #88
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
It sounds like everything will be made right Doug. I like it that you will be able to test everything near the factory. Do you plan to stick around when they winterize it?
Yep. I'll likely be in it inside of the factory since it'll still be cold mid-February. No chance I'm trying to play inside of it while outside.

And yeah- I'll be assisting with it being re-winterized at the end of my testing and will plan on having pink stuff pushed through the lines.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #89
Infractee

As crazy as the mixup at the factory sounds, I just had one happen to me today that affirms stuff like this can and does happen.

My wife was involved in an accident last thursday, her truck was towed to the wrecker service's yard so that the insurance folks could look at it. Today, I get a call from the appraiser telling me that the truck was NOT there and did I release it to someone else as another wrecker hauled it away. I called the wrecker service and they said that it was declared a total by the insurance company and they hauled it off! I informed him that no, this can not be true as the appraiser was there, trying to look at it. Well, after some digging it was determined that there were TWO silver Ford Expeditions brought in to the yard on the same day and the wrong one was released, apparently nobody looked at the VINs.

Right now, at this moment, the two wrecker services are exchanging silver Expeditions....

So yes, this kind of 3 Stooges type stuff really does happen, incredibly enough.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #90

Good luck...........
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:46 PM   #91

Response

Good to know that all ends well most of them when two side communicate there problems, it is always a shame when two sides fail to discuss there problems OPENTLY.
Its all to easy when done properly....BLESSINGS TO ALL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Another update - good so far.

I just got off of the phone with Gary and the plant manager. Both apologized again for the mix-up. They explained a little more of what happened (longest story shortest, they confused serial numbers on mine and another that was done; mine never should have been sent back).

They did acknowledge that they're not certain what happened to the water filter, but that it was winterized by blowing out the lines. I'm guessing that they simply forgot to empty the water filter. My concern is what else did they forget?

At this point, assuming the weather holds out- we have a schedule in place for them to pickup the camper by the end of the week/beginning of next week and then for me to travel out in early February to spend a few days testing the camper and looking for the slightest imperfections. They'll then transport it back to me and hopefully this whole thing will be a blip in my radar.

As before- the words are all correct and what I was hoping for. The actions seem positive so far. Gary coordinated the call between the parties that I wanted to speak together at once with. Additionally, I've already heard from the transport company about getting a drive together for picking the unit up (after my issues with them dropping it off - the driver literally called me when he was 10 minutes away).
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #92
Always Learning

Off she goes. There is a schedule for the return trip, the repairs, PDI at the factory and then my inspection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1390612301.532041.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	45361Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1390612317.828206.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	45362

My only complaint right now is with the transport company - it's obvious that they're used to dealing with dealers and not individuals. Thankfully I work from home as the drop off last week and pickup today (hard to believe that this has only been a week!) I've had 15 minutes or less of notice. The driver tonight had to follow me to the storage lot because I didn't have notice to bring it home. He hitched up there to start his trip back.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #93

Interesting, I don't see a name or DOT number on his truck. I hope it isn't some guy stealing your trailer...just kidding.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 01-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #94
NELA

Looks like he picked it up awfully late. Staying the night in a hotel a few hours down the road...or (cringe) will he stay in your 5er?

<ducking and runnin'

OK, just kiddin. Hoping the trip back goes well and in a couple of weeks or so you'll be bragging about how happy you are with the repairs and return of your baby!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #95

Man you guys are yanking his chain already. I was thinking that he would sleep in his rig, but I wasn't gonna say it. As little as these transport companies pay it's certainly cheaper than a hotel. Anyway, Hope it all works out!
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #96
Always Learning

Oh, it was only that late because of our woes getting hitched up. Well, ok - it started with my stupidity of getting to the storage lot without my camper keys! Wife had to bring them over.

So- I know y'all are just busting my chops. But they had me lock the doors saying that the factory has master keys or something. The driver didn't have keys.

I know the last 2 drivers (don't recall the first) each had to have a CDL due to the combination of weights between camper and truck) and each had the back seat removed and a platform bed built in its place. Both talked about sleeping there with their traveling mates (aka dogs).

I out and out asked the guy today what he gets paid. It was. $1.26/mile. Going east from Indiana he gets a $0.10/mile surcharge for fuel costs. Somehow going back, he wasn't going to get it but with my camper and the CDL required due to weight, he gets a $0.10/mile surcharge. He said that they rarely have return loads and this was really nice for him.

So far it has been a Ford and 2 Dodges.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:10 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Oh, it was only that late because of our woes getting hitched up. Well, ok - it started with my stupidity of getting to the storage lot without my camper keys! Wife had to bring them over.
Man I hate it when I drive out to our storage lot to check on the trailer only to realize I don't have the trailer keys with me. I do that at least once a year. My excuse is my age.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 01-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #98

I kind of wonder if the transport guys remove the DOT magnet sign from their truck when they are towing a used RV. Looks like a pleasure trip aka non commercial towing event. No log book needed either. Still get paid the miles and a great flying under the radar gig if you can stay awake and stay safe.
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:25 AM   #99

I guess in the end all we can ask is a company stand behind their product and make the consumer happy. Stuff happens and in this case there seems to be ALOT of uneeded extra aggrevation involved for a customer that seems to have all his ducks in a row. Best of luck and as of right now it seems that Forest River is doing the right thing by you. I'm sure you will keep us all posted on the end result.
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #100

A side from the fact that there no commercial signs on the truck, here's a question I have. What speed do these guys travel at? Since ST tires are rated for only 62 MPH and the tire won't show signs of distress until long after the trailer is returned to the owner, how would one know?

Tags
camper, factory