Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2020, 09:00 PM   #1

Columbus 295RL w/3 propane tanks!

We are in the midst of purchasing a 2015 Columbus 295RL and during the walk thru, the seller could not be there and had a neighbor show us the unit. We saw (3) 20# propane tanks: 2 on one side and 1 on the other. Are all 3 used for general propane needs? Or is on used for something specific? There is no outdoor kitchen; nor is there a BBQ.

Can any owners give me a clue?

-Rich
45RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:56 AM   #2

They did this a way for folks that had trouble handling the larger 30lb bottles you basically still have the same amount of propane available just easier to handle and possibly exchange, like at Lowes or such. Yes it runs all the normal items that run on propane.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:59 AM   #3

Thanks, dblr. So all 3 are connected together? Is there a 2nd regulator? Do they switch as each one becomes empty?

-Rich
Old 03-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to B and B
All three are connected together. There is a extra regulator as well. We almost bought the same unit but could not make a deal that was satisfactory.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45RPM View Post
Thanks, dblr. So all 3 are connected together? Is there a 2nd regulator? Do they switch as each one becomes empty?

-Rich
As B and B said yes, there should be a regulator on both sides, I am not personally sure how the change over works on a 3 bottle system but on a 2 if both bottles are open they will switch over automatically, but keep a eye on the gauges as it is easy to run out completely.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:06 PM   #6

My guess would be all automatic. The pair would run out first then the single would take over and you fill the pair while the single is in service. Just a guess.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #7

Propane tanks

The two side by side tanks have a automatic switch over if both left open or on, the third tank is for back up, we leave our third tank closed or off until needed or if needed
Mike ONeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:08 PM   #8

Three propane tanks

We have the same install in our Columbus. In fact, when we looked at the unit at the RV Show, it had four 20 lb tanks installed. Upon delivery, there were only three. Two curb side and one drivers side. When asked, I was informed that it was ‘against the law(?)’ to carry that much propane (80 lbs) in an RV with that type of tank. (I don’t know if they were stringing me along?). However, the system works just fine and I have never emptied all three in a season. Leave the two on the curb side open with the autochangeover valve serving it’s purpose. Drivers side tank is closed. I keep an eye on the auto change and have a tendency to refill when I note the valve has changed. The tank on the drivers side in my ‘emergency standby’. I only Open that if both curb side are empty. (I also swap the tanks Side to side once a year). I don’t know it they use the smaller tanks for weight/ convenience or due to keeping down vertical height of the compartment. (The tanks are below the bedroom floor - a 30 lb tank is higher could influence the height of the floor?)
2007 Corsair. 246 RKS. 5th
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:26 PM   #9

Thanks, Dave.

Is the driver's side (single) tank connected to anything? Or is it merely a stand-by tank?

-Rich

PS Forest River told me that they went to the 20# tanks as a two fold convenience:
1) tanks are lighter and easier to transport
2) more places to get refill/exchange (Home Depot, WalMart, etc)
Old 03-03-2020, 07:23 PM   #10

Yes, they are all connected. If both curb side empty, just turn on driver side tank. It has it’s own regulator. It is plumbed across the front of the trailer to the curb side. The two tanks on the curb side are (on my Columbus) mounted on a tray / drawer that pulls out and makes access and removal of the tanks easy.

We love our Columbus .... probably the last big 5er we will ever buy. Very minimal problems / issues since new. We have now parked the Columbus on a seasonal site, so it doesn’t see many miles any more.
2007 Corsair. 246 RKS. 5th
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:30 PM   #11

The Columbus we're buying is model 295RL. The brochure says that all Columbus' have a pull out pantry. Have those of you with a 295RL found a pantry?

-Rich
Old 03-07-2020, 05:04 PM   #12
Dr. V

No Pantry

We own a 2015 295RL and love it. The third propane tank/drivers side has its own regulator and works on its own if you need it. It is very easy to remove and works great with outside cooking equipment that has its own regulator. You can buy the needed hose on Amazon. That’s a big NO on the pull out pantry...we were disappointed. I put shelves in the coat closet by the steps and it works great as a pantry. Enjoy!
dkvoelter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
295, columbus, propane, tank