Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
Now Camping Year-Round!!

Columbus 325RL - Anyone own one or looking to buy one?

Hi
After we were able to go in a Columbus 320RS and really look it over as opposed to looking online at their website, we knew we really wanted a Columbus. However, one of the things we really want is the outside kitchen and so that only leaves us with 2 models to choose from and we prefer the rear living style after our last two trailers-one was a bunk model, and the one we still have is a rear living model.
So we have our sights on buying a 325RL. Someone in another post who has the 385 BH said they don't have the sink in the outdoor kitchen. All the pics I have seen of the 325 show a sink. That's one thing I want to make sure it has before we get serious about ordering. Also, brochure shows a Weber BBQ grill, that I thought I read comes with these units. Is this right? Looks like a nice BBQ with it's own stand. This would really add to the outdoor kitchen.

I like the extra counter space the 320 has, but compared to my Wildcat, the 325 has lots more than I am used to having, so should be ample. The theatre seating - WOW - can't get chairs more comfy that those! Love them! And I don't want to leave out that shower. Never seen a bigger shower in an RV. I'm not saying they might not exist, but I've never seen one. Impressive!

Right now we are getting quotes from dealers on the 325's but have been unable to go to see one. Our local dealer who is 40 minutes away has the 320RS. There is another dealer 3 hours from us in NY state that have one but with the border crossing it is a full day trip to go and see it. Haven't managed to have a spare day to do that yet, we only saw the 320RS last week. And work - well I am sure most of you would agree it sure does get in the way for us campers! I am going to try and see if we can manage to go there next week. Hopefully it doesn't sell in the meantime (not that I want the one on the lot-but I want to look in/at it).

I am surprised with all the threads and posts I have read on this forum about Columbus 5th wheels that I haven't noticed anyone who owns a 325RL. What's up with that? Does no one like it? Or has it only recently been introduced? Hoping to hear of some 325RL owners out there????

2020 RW Signature 8291RK 5er (...May 2021) & 2017 Dodge Ram Laramie 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4
Still missing my beautiful Columbus2013 Columbus 325RL__2019 Rockwood 2511S__2017 Rockwood ML 2507S__Rockwood Roo 21RS__2009 Wildcat 29RLBS
WannaBcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #2

Try searching on Youtube!

Dealers usually post a video walkthru on various models. Sometimes they drop a comment or three that may give you some of the info you are looking at. I don't understand why the manufacturers don't do official videos. It would be a great selling tool for their dealers that don't have a particular model in stock.

I am really impressed with these new Columbus models. I like the 320 and the 365.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
Trailer Trash

Never seen a 325RL at a tradeshow or at a dealer lot. Just the 320RS. Try and find factory numbers for how many of each were made as 2012 and 2013 models and that will be our first clue.

The 320RS was a new layout and different than the competition. I'm guessing Palomino simply marketed the 320RS to get the Columbus brand rolling. The other models were available but factory order specials. Christopher Columbus can chime in on this.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
Factory Rep

The 325 is a wonderful layout it has had good success retailing.
The outside kitchen on this model has a sink as well as a pull out propane gas 2 burner. You can order without the 2 Burner gas and option in the Roll away Cart w/ Weber Electric High output grill
These Weber grills are great
Hope this answers some kitchen questions. Oh , don't forget that we use Aluminum Cabinets in this kitchen so they will last
Chris
Christopher Columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
Now Camping Year-Round!!

Thanks Chris. Glad to hear about the sink. I just find it weird i havent heard of Anyone on here who has bought this particular model!
When exactly did this model first go into production as i gather it is newer than the 320?

2020 RW Signature 8291RK 5er (...May 2021) & 2017 Dodge Ram Laramie 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4
Still missing my beautiful Columbus2013 Columbus 325RL__2019 Rockwood 2511S__2017 Rockwood ML 2507S__Rockwood Roo 21RS__2009 Wildcat 29RLBS
Old 08-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
Now Camping Year-Round!!

We have been negotiating with a salesperson at our local dealer. Today we gave our bottom line and we've been asked to come in tomorrow to discuss in person. I can only imagine that is because they are going to try and talk us up a bit and tell us they can't go that low. We'll see. We're not in a big rush and have had better quotes from 2 different dealers in the U.S but that would be a bit of a drive. (We're from east of Toronto, Ontario) Anyways, cross your fingers for us!!

Old 09-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Now Camping Year-Round!!

Chris, a couple of questions I am hoping you can answer. I have read where someone posted that they were sure the 320RS was a longer 5th than the 325RL. However online in the specs it lists the 320RS as 36'9" and the 325RL as 37'4". Can you confirm if these specs are correct?
And also, when I look at video and pics posted online at various websites I see some have a brown leather couch that matches the theatre seating(not sure if it converts to a bed?), some show a fabric material one in a beige colour which we saw for ourselves in the 320RS on our dealers lot, and some show the same beige coloured fabric material chairs that I assume are swivel rockers? I requested that in addition to the theatre seating that we have what I believe is referred to a 'sleeper sofa'. Any idea what that is and is there the option to have it in leather like the theatre seating?

Old 09-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
Factory Rep

You can order a rebound leather matching sofa sleeper. All our sofas make into a bed
Chris
Christopher Columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
Now Camping Year-Round!!

What is the price for the leather sleeper sofa compared to beige fabric leather sofa sleeper?

Old 09-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #10

Purchased a columbus with outside kitchen. Love it. It has a microwave, two burner cooktop, refrigerator, sink, two cabinets, and a drawer. Only drawback is that it is high off the ground for me. I am 5' 8".
Old 09-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
Now Camping Year-Round!!

Good to know. Thanks. I am 5'3" So I guess handy hubby will be building me a platform for it. Or...maybe I'll get him to do all the cooking outside while I keep our drinks refilled. *hic*

Old 09-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #12
Now Camping Year-Round!!

Anyone know whether these units come stock with a TVs antennae? I can't seem to find any mention of it anywhere.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #13

All Columbus 5th wheels come standard with a retractable TV antenna mounted on the roof at no extra charge.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #14
Trailer Trash

It's a Wineguard amplified antenna. Actually pretty large as you can see it plain as day on the roof when you have it up. Cranks up/down with directional knob for rotating antenna to get best signal. Crank is in hallway ceiling and amplifier button with green LED is next to coax connector - large tv in living room. You can confirm these items on unit you will be buying.

Warning - put antenna down before travel. Bridge, tree, building's roof, or wind will put it down for you and that is not covered under warranty.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
Now Camping Year-Round!!

How is the pull out couch? I've been told Columbus doesn't use those horrible air beds like the one we had in our wildcat and most manufacturers use. is the pull out comfortable? it just folds out and so you end up sleeping on a foamlike 'mattress' are from the seat and cushions from the couch?

Old 09-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #16

Pull out couch bed is great. You can actually sleep on it without anything hard poking your hips. It is quite comfortable. All in all the Columbus 325rl is a very good RV and most comfortable for long term camping. Especially with the 4 door refrigerator. We have camped 7 weeks so far and plan for 6 months starting October 1.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #17
Trailer Trash

It's why they make sleep number beds. The couch is hard as a brick AND the suface you sleep on has large indentations were the cushion ends meet. I spent a few bucks and bought an Aerobed to put on top of the fold out couch. Aerobed is adjustable so your kids/guests can dial in what they like.

Like any bed, try it before you buy it! Some will say too soft, too hard, just right.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #18

Everyone we have had sleep on the fold out couch have loved it and told us it was very comfortable. I push the cushions down so they are even.i also put a mattress pad on the bed so body oils do not get on the couch.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickdana View Post
Pull out couch bed is great. You can actually sleep on it without anything hard poking your hips. It is quite comfortable. All in all the Columbus 325rl is a very good RV and most comfortable for long term camping. Especially with the 4 door refrigerator. We have camped 7 weeks so far and plan for 6 months starting October 1.
Update: we have camped in our 352RL since August, 2012 and have no significant issues. The dealer's service manager called the first of October and said our replacement entrance door was in. We never knew anything major was wrong with the original door. I had to adjust and secure the keeper for the door to close properly and had noticed someone had attempted a fix that had not worked. He told us that the original door was warped. Close inspection affirmed this and we are scheduled to stop at the dealers on our return north in April. Other issues we have after 6 months of camping are: 1. trim on the inside of the kitchen is loose. 2. The stove cover is a little tight. 3. The trim strips on the ceiling has detached from the ceiling for about 12" in one place. 4. The black water valve leaked. (I mentioned this in previous posts).
5. The bedroom tv looses signal when certain lights are turned on. This also is discussed in other posts. I just haven't looked at the connectors yet because we use satellite.
All in all we have a very good camper that seems to be well built and expect to be in it for the long term.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #20
Now Camping Year-Round!!

Hey guys, good to hear! Sounds to me that aside from the door, most things are minor and either can be fixed ourselves or in the case of the tv signal in the bedroom, can just be learned how best to live with. Thanks for the update. Really good to hear from one of the few 325RL owners I know of. Doesn't seem to be a very popular model contrary to what Chris Columbus said.

Couple of questions if you don't mind... What options did you buy yours with? Also wondering whether or no you got the 4 or 6 self leveling stabilizers, do you find much movement in the trailer, both side to side or back to back when someone is walking around? Did you get the Strong Arm Stabilizer Package installed at factory?
How is the quality of the material the theatre seating is made of? Is it leather, or vinyl or what? Think it will stand up to longtime usage?
And if you got the bedroom a/c, do you have the noise problem like I have heard mentioned in other posts?
What do you think of the quality of the outside kitchen? I hear it's all made of metal (I have not been able to see this model in person yet), do you think it will rust or bend with use?
The door you had replaced, is it a one piece with the screen in it, or are you getting the separate screen door and outside door without windows that open?
Lastly, have you by any chance measured the length of the trailer. Someone in a previous post mentioned that they had seen both trailers and thought the 325 was shorter than the 320. ??

Thanks so much in advance and I hope I didn't ask too many questions!!??
Cathy