Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #1

Columbus 365RL

We are thinking about purchasing a 365RL. We currently have a Carriage Cameo that has been terrific and never had a warranty issue. We hope the Columbus will provide us with the same quality after eight years of use. We fulltime, which is why the Columbus is very appealing. Anyone with a 365RL have any positive or negative thoughts about this model for full timing?

Sent from my XT1080 using Forest River Forums mobile app
bobheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #2

We own a 2014 365RL purchased in 09/13. So far we have no complaints and love the 365RL. So much room and storage. Also have both A/C's 15K standard height units. There is a Columbus Face Book Group you may want to join as there are quite a few 365RL owners in the group.
Cajun Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Happy View Post
We own a 2014 365RL purchased in 09/13. So far we have no complaints and love the 365RL. So much room and storage. Also have both A/C's 15K standard height units. There is a Columbus Face Book Group you may want to join as there are quite a few 365RL owners in the group.
Thanks for info Cajun Happy...
Old 06-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #4

I just bought a 365RL this year and picked it up in April. I got mine with 2 AC's and the residential refrig., 6 point stabilization. We've had a couple of minor issues but we are working through them now. One thing you'll find out is RV tech's don't know a lot. My refigerator was not working on 12 volt which is why there is an inverter. But time and time again I was told that the refrig ONLY works with shore power. I kept asking them then what is the inverter for? Needless to say I was right, it does work on the 12 volt system through the inverter, just don't leave it unplugged too long from a car or shore power. So far we have had 3 trips in it and I love it. Get the air glide that's nice too. I think you will really like the unit I know once I work out the little bugs and make just a few modifications we will love it for years to come. I hpoe that helps.

Powered by Ford 350 Super Duty Diesel
Old 06-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #5

Armulle, thanks for info on the fridge. We were trying to decide between Columbus, Solitude, or Alpine. We just keep coming back to the Columbus, going to check one out tomorrow and another one at different dealer the next day. Getting close to pulling the trigger.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #6

We just got our 365 about 10 days ago, have spent 4 nights in it, and so far we could not be happier. We hope it'll be as reliable and trouble free as our previous trailer. We got the dual AC's (low profile in the bedroom), residential refer, 6-point auto-leveling, dual pane windows. I think you definitely need the 2 AC's in this one. It wasn't super hot over the holiday weekend and I noticed the main AC running an awful lot during the day until I kicked on the bedroom AC, too. Then they both cycled on and off as I expected. Love the ice maker and filtered water in the refer. We skipped the bedroom TV. You still get the nice cherry wood wall-mounted TV cabinet as a standard option. I took our 29" flat panel out of our old trailer and will mount it in the bedroom. I forget what Columbus wanted for the 32" bedroom TV, but IMHO, you can get a better TV for at least $100 less at Sam's, Costco, Walmart, etc. All the connections are there from factory, just need to install a mount in the cabinet yourself and attach the TV.

About the only issues we've run across so far are a crank out window that wasn't put together correctly that I fixed myself and some small cracks around the shower skylight where it looks like they maybe didn't cut the ceiling panel quite right or something. Will need to get that looked at. Other than that, so far, so good!
IllinoisCheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:15 PM   #7

Concur on BDRM a/c. We live in Southern Alabama so definitely need extra a/c. Interesting comment on TV. We have 32 inch TV in bedroom. Really appreciate your input. Thanks for advice.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:47 AM   #8

Though the Columbus is a beautiful rig, it's not in the same class as your Carriage. The Carriage is considered to be a high line heavier 5th wheel designed more for the full timer. It has a larger frame and from the ones I've been in, upscale trims. I'm sure you'll like your new Columbus, but be aware of the differences in the two rigs. It's like going from a Lexus ES 350 to a Camry XLE; both are nice, but the Lexus has that little extra.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #9

Love our Carriage, but after 8 years and many trips all over the U.S. the time has come to replace it. Figure now that we are 70 it is now or never. If Carriage was still around we would get another one, but since it isn't, will go with either the Columbus 365RL or the Grand Design Solitude 369RL. Leaning toward Columbus, and checking one out again today.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:23 AM   #10

Thanks amxpress for the reply. You all are very helpful on this forum and we appreciate your insight. It is nice to know we will be in such good company if we get the Columbus.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #11

Might I suggest that if you get the Columbus you get the option of the six way leveling system, slide toppers, dual pane windows, the fireplace, and the low-profile front AC. Triglide pin hitch is a great option also. Good luck .
Prodigy
Old 06-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #12

Columbus 365RL

All good points Amexpress. 2 AC units might be in there too. Oh yeah, you nailed it. Had to look back after I did the phone post.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #13
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

We bought our 2014 365RL last October, after a lot of research and looking. Since then we put about 3,000 miles on it and camped and LIVED in it for nearly 3 months. I've got to say that we have enjoyed every minute of it. I worked out a few of the "bugs" early on and then built a removable desk for the bedroom, as I work from it when we travel.

What do we like?
  • Residential "feel"
  • 4 door fridge / freezer
  • Large microwave/convection, range AND oven
  • Storage (LOTS of it!)
  • Central vacuum
  • LOTS of room to move about
  • Good sized kitchen with LOTS of counter space
  • Climate control - heat, dual A/C, heat pump, fireplace, fans
  • HUGE shower
  • Good entertainment systems
  • 6 way auto leveling
  • Excellent towing manners (see sig)

We would definitely recommend one, if you're in the market for a large, comfortable 5er that has a residential feel, with above average quality at a very reasonable price.

Cheers,

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:56 PM   #14

We have had our 365 for almost two years now and love it. We live in it in Florida for 5-6 months during the winter, than it stays on the lot while were back in Illinois. We have had no issues with it. The AC's are a little loud but we got use to it. Since we don't tow it I wish we had got a residential type fridge instead of the domedic 4 door RV style. Having to defrost about every 4-5 weeks is a real pane. That is the only thing I would do different. Does anyone know what it would take to replace it with a standard house fridge ? Overall I would compare this rig with many costing much more.
WRROST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #15

Will a residential refrigerator fit through the door?
Prodigy
Old 06-17-2014, 09:24 PM   #16

I'am back in Illinois now, but I looked at some house fridges around the 18 cu.ft. capacity and I think they would, of course I would measure twice and than again. My concern would be the amp's draw and disconnecting all the connections on the rv fridge. I could plug a standard fridge directly into the 20 amp outlet on the pedestal. I think the door opening on the rv is at or close to 36 in. I'll get back down there in late October.
WRROST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:24 AM   #17

If you''re towing you'll need to add an inverter so the refrig will work going down the road. That's how mine is installed from the factory