Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2019, 01:44 PM   #1

Exclamation Columbus 5th Wheel Slide Issues

Greetings. I own a 2019 Columbus 366RL and was wondering if anyone out there has a Columbus and has experienced any type of slide issue. The main issues seems to be that the off door slide itself is not lined up correctly. meaning, when fully extended, I can place my hand through on one side, and cannot get my fingers in on the other side. The slide also makes a loud clanking noise when extending. Also, I have burned out several 30 amp fuses, but the 40 amp fuse seems to be holding. The dealership (Camping World) has not been able to fix this issue(s) after several times at the facility. I am getting ready to get an attorney to sue Forest River and Camping World, but wanted some feedback to see of there were similar issues.

Thanks
Wanderer 1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:03 PM   #2

I can't address your trailer, but do NOT use a higher rated fuse, even it's that was your dealer's "solution". Just in the last week someone posted on one of the forums I'm on about extensive damage caused by a fuse rated for higher amperage than the wires were designed to carry. Wires that were burned off, etc. And as he said, they were "lucky". They could have had a catastrophic fire. Good luck getting the problem properly repaired
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:43 PM   #3

Here is the thread I referred to: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=t

Dangerous factory wiring beware.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer 1964 View Post
Greetings. I own a 2019 Columbus 366RL and was wondering if anyone out there has a Columbus and has experienced any type of slide issue. The main issues seems to be that the off door slide itself is not lined up correctly. meaning, when fully extended, I can place my hand through on one side, and cannot get my fingers in on the other side. The slide also makes a loud clanking noise when extending. Also, I have burned out several 30 amp fuses, but the 40 amp fuse seems to be holding. The dealership (Camping World) has not been able to fix this issue(s) after several times at the facility. I am getting ready to get an attorney to sue Forest River and Camping World, but wanted some feedback to see of there were similar issues.

Thanks
It sounds like your slide is simply out of adjustment. If Camping World can't or won't fix it, I would reach out to the factory, with documentation of what has been done to date. Ask if they will approve an independent repair facility to adjust the slide and cover the cost under your warranty, OR if they will recommend someone who can fix the problem - and it IS fixable.

Getting a lawyer involved before you have tried any option than Camping World isn't going to do you any good. Are you going to sue Camping World for incompetence? So far, they haven't done anything to "injure" you...they just haven't done anything.

As far as having the same issue, we have a 2017 Columbus 320RSC and have not had any issues with our slides being out of adjustment, but if you search these forums, I'm pretty sure you'll find a few threads that address the issue. I know I've read a few.

Good luck getting the problem resolved.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #5

I also belong to a Columbus RV group on facebook. Here is what one Columbus owner posted this morning about a slide on her RV:

"So happy! We’ve had our one problem slide in and out several times this trip and it goes in and out like a dream. Can’t praise the mobile RV guy who fixed it for us enough. We learned that we must use an RV repair person who knows slides inside and out."

She went on to say that the mobile RV repairman told her that whomever worked on her slide in the past "messed it up big time."

I'm still thinking that should be your next move in getting your slide to operate properly.

With only a couple of posts, you apparently are relatively new to these forums. Camping World sells a lot of RVs, but their reputation for service after the sale - and service in general - is not all that good. There are a LOT of CW posts on here.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:40 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice

Thank you for the advice. I contacted Forest River and they authorized me to take it to a local repair facility. The individual I spoke with when I dropped it off this morning was very helpful, and the knowledge he had, well left me encouraged. Thanks again!
Wanderer 1964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, columbus, slide, wheel