Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2019, 05:49 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
The REAL advantage to the slider is to move the center of rotation (the King Pin}, behind the rear axle.

Set up correctly, 2" in front of the axle, the response of the trailer to the movement of the trucks front wheels is very small and slow, compared to moving the center of rotation behind that rear axle.

Yes, you can back into any spot if you have enough space. The slider makes it easier is all by making the trailer more responsive to your steering wheel.
That is precisely correct.

We had a Reese square tube slider, it worked perfectly. The only problem was in order to slide it I had to take the pin weight off of the hitch. This meant lowering the landing gear, moving the truck for or aft, then raising the landing gear. I found it a PITA.

We bought a Reese Revolution pin box. It moves the center of rotation all the way back to where the pin box bolts to the 5ers frame.

The 5er is even more responsive to the truck in reverse than it was with the slider slid all the way aft (22" vs 10" rear of forward receiver location) and no more fooling with landing gear.

For a while we kept the sliding mechanism "Just in case" but we never needed it. So we replaced the sliding mechanism with standard legs ($70) for the hitch head to remove all that extra weight of the sliding mechanism. Saved about 100 lbs or so in the bed.

For us, all the above was the perfect solution!
Old 02-18-2019, 08:12 AM   #22

F350 SB w/Columbus 377

I have a 2018 SB F350 SRW and just purchased a Columbus 377MB and dealer recommended the B&W 20k manual slider, which I bought. I don't pick up trailer until 2/23 don't know how far I can turn before needing to place in maneuver position. I'm really not concerned for going in reverse and will always put into maneuver before entering a campground. My concern is forward driving and turns. Does anyone else have a similar setup to mine and have they had any issues with any normal forward driving and hits on the cab?
GUTOWSCR471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #23

I think you and I are kinda in the same boat. I will do the same at the campground. My slider is setup directly over the axle not 2 inches forward of the axle. I haven’t had a chance to get to a parking lot to see how far I can turn without using the slider. I hope to do that soon.

I’ll report back when I can, As soon as the weather breaks.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
I think you and I are kinda in the same boat. I will do the same at the campground. My slider is setup directly over the axle not 2 inches forward of the axle. I haven’t had a chance to get to a parking lot to see how far I can turn without using the slider. I hope to do that soon.

I’ll report back when I can, As soon as the weather breaks.
I asked my dealer to setup the B&W furthest from the cab also, I'll see what they actually do Saturday. I'll take some pictures and post back here.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTOWSCR471 View Post
I asked my dealer to setup the B&W furthest from the cab also, I'll see what they actually do Saturday. I'll take some pictures and post back here.
That would be great! - you can see my pics at the cedar creek page on the 34IK thread.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #26
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
I have a 2018 SB F350 SRW and just purchased a Columbus 377MB and dealer recommended the B&W 20k manual slider, which I bought. I don't pick up trailer until 2/23 don't know how far I can turn before needing to place in maneuver position. I'm really not concerned for going in reverse and will always put into maneuver before entering a campground. My concern is forward driving and turns. Does anyone else have a similar setup to mine and have they had any issues with any normal forward driving and hits on the cab?
I think you'll find that you won't need to put the slider in 'maneuver' mode every time you go into a campground.

My 5'ver will be four years old in April and I've not once had to slide the slider.

But, I like having it there come the day when I might have to use it as opposed to needing a slider and not having it.

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:54 PM   #27

I tow a 2015 Columbus 320rs with a 2017 Silverado 3500 short box. I have the Andersen Ultimate. It will turn 90* with no problem. I have had Several different hitches, and find the Andersen to be smooth and easy to use. We have over 5000 miles towing this set up.
RickMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:50 PM   #28

Picked Up 377MB Today

Picked up the new rig today. 2019 377MB towing with 2018 - F350 SRW Short Bed, Companion 20k Slider. Hooking up and driving was amazing. Plenty of turning radius for normal driving, no issues. Even backed into driveway without using slider. Companion was setup 1" front of axle at 18" height. Both Columbus and truck sat level. Had about 6.5" of clearance over bed rails.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	377MB.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	197445  
Old 02-23-2019, 10:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Picked up the new rig today. 2019 377MB towing with 2018 - F350 SRW Short Bed, Companion 20k Slider. Hooking up and driving was amazing. Plenty of turning radius for normal driving, no issues. Even backed into driveway without using slider. Companion was setup 1" front of axle at 18" height. Both Columbus and truck sat level. Had about 6.5" of clearance over bed rails.
Nice rig!
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:29 AM   #30

Quote:
Sounds like a Perfect setup. Good Looking rigs too!
Old 02-24-2019, 06:24 AM   #31
"On the road again"

I pulled a Columbus 320RS for five and a half years with an F250 short bed, no slider and every time we went anywhere the journey started by backing down a tree-lined, 175 feet-long driveway. It was never a problem.

The hitch wasn't an Andersen, but I got the impression the main question was concerning slider or no slider. I used a Reese.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:40 PM   #32

Nice rig more pics please! Can you give us the weights when you take it to a CAT scale?
Old 03-02-2019, 07:07 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMN View Post
I tow a 2015 Columbus 320rs with a 2017 Silverado 3500 short box. I have the Andersen Ultimate. It will turn 90* with no problem. I have had Several different hitches, and find the Andersen to be smooth and easy to use. We have over 5000 miles towing this set up.
Hello RickMN....I too have a 2015 Columbus 320rs.5th wheel. Bought new in August 2014. We love our trailer. We full timed for four years, work related. We did have an issue (For us big issue) with soft floor. With quite a bit of interaction with manufacturer, they provided pick up, and return delivery. To factory in Indiana. Repair was pretty good. I was wondering if you have had any (soft floor) issues? As I said, we still love our trailer. No other real problems. Thanks.
mitchwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:26 PM   #34

2016 Columbus 340 RK pull it with a 16 F2 50 gas short bed
chevelleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #35

Not sure if you still follow this but we have a 6'9" box on my F-350 and use the Andersen hitch for pulling our Columbus. Never been in a spot where we would have needed a slider. Stayed over 100 nights in campgrounds with about 18,000 miles on it. Love the entire setup. Good luck.

Tags
5th wheel, bed, columbus, towing, wheel