Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #1

Columbus Palomino 385BH

Hi! Been hanging out for awhile - but this is my first post. Great site!
Anyone interested in/ordered the new Columbus bunkhouse? Saw the 320RS on Sat. and really liked it!
We have been looking for a bunkhouse model and believe this new Columbus just about meets all our "have to haves". (Not an easy thing as my list was quite extensive!). We have camped for the past 4 years in a 2008 Cherokee 31Z+. Need more room!
So... we put in an order on Sat. Since there aren't any order spec sheets for this model we really just wrote up what we wanted and are waiting to hear if Palomino can do it. Then we will negotiate the price. Our salesman told us this would get us a position in the manufacturing process. I guess it is kind of like "call ahead seating".
It is our understanding that this model just went into production yesterday and as of last week all the details had not been decided.
If anyone out there has anymore info -I'd love to hear!
Jo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #2

I have an option sheet, if you're interested. Let me know where to email it.
Our 320RS is suppse to come off line tomorrow.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #3

Great news! Just got off the phone with our dealer and the Columbus 385 BH prototype is anticipated to be complete next Tues. We have been invited to the factory to "take a look". What an opportunity!

At that time we will be able to discuss options and get the final order completed. I was delighted to hear that the larger 4 door refrigerator is definitely a go!

If any of you good folks have any questions regarding this bunkhouse option i would be happy to try and get some answers.

We are at a seasonal spot that opens up April 27th - probably won't have the new fifth wheel by then, but it will be close! Summer is lookin' up!
Old 03-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #4

Columbus 385

I have been waiting and trying to gather facts on the 385 BH for quite some time.I was told by my local dealer that I could go over starting 3-26 to see the prototype. I have a base price of 60,306 MSRP plus Voyager Package(forced option) and options. I have been tring to hold out but it is diffacult with out much info and photos. I don't know how much, if any the final pricing will change next week. I'm thinking the gray exterior but have not seen any in person yet. I've seen the cream but looks a little too yellow for my taste. Any one seen a gray Columbus and how does it look?
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #5

I am headed up to the Columbus factory this afternoon for a tour and a look at the 385. I don't believe that the price sheet is ready yet as it is still just a prototype. Hopefully all details will be worked out this week. I was told yesterday that production is scheduled for the 27th of this month.
I have a whole list of questions/ details I need clarification on. Anyone else needing answers? I will try and post more info this evening.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #6

Thumbs up Saw the 385 today!

Back from my visit to the good folks at Columbus. We had agreed to meet our dealer, Dennis Murphy from Campers Inn in Elkhart, IN, at the plant. We were warmly welcomed by Jack Plummer, area sales rep for Columbus.

These guys know their stuff! If they didn't have the answer they found someone in the plant that did. We were fortunate to meet Tom (sorry - his last name has escaped me) the head of the Columbus operation. It was his idea to name this new line "Columbus" with the "Rediscover North America" concept.

Best of all we were able to look, see, feel and touch the 385 bunk prototype! It is nearing completion and price list with options should be available next week. To say that we were impressed, is an understatement. Tom is still working to maximize storage in this unit. I gave him a couple of suggestions and he was very receptive and told me that they were a "done deal".

Both my husband and I were impressed with the quality of this unit. I learned a whole lot today! I talked to Jack about the possibility of being a regular poster to this Forum as a Forest River rep, much like Wildcat Chris and SabreSam, and he has agreed to join in!

Our dealer, Dennis took bunches of pictures today. He will be sending them to me soon. I did take a few with my iPad -but my kids tell me I am the world's WORST photographer!

A big shout out to Dennis Murphy at Campers Inn in Elkhart! He has been more than patient with me through this process. This fella has been in the RV business for 40 years - started out on the build side and is now in sales. If anyone needs a dealer with great manufacturers' connections and lives right in the heart of the RV build world - Dennis is the man!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #7

Mustang,
To answer your question re: has anyone seen the grey Columbus? - The answer is now "YES"! We went up to the plant totally sold on the cream/brown color way and quickly changed our minds! LOVE the grey! You won't be disappointed.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #8

Jo54:
Camper's Inn? Cool!
That's where my 320RS is sitting awaiting my arrival this weekend. Of course, it's their Mocksville, NC location.
I am happy to hear about the quality of the Columbus. Being a new line, it was a concern.
So, were you able to talk to any of the workers? Did they tell you of any production modifications or design changes? Any pictures of the plant or production line?
Mustang:
I have seen a gray Columbus, and this Firday, I will own a gray Columbus. It will go well with my silver Dodge RAM.
Prodigy
Old 03-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #9

so excited............ I believe next week we will pick up our 2013 Grey Columbus 320RS. Hope that Jack will become a regular in the forum. Would really like to get a list of Columbus owners!!!! Patience......... is a virtue........... and I keep having to learn it!! Have everything ready to decorate!! Just need to magically make the Pod an Earth Station!!! Change the Cougar into a Columbus!!!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #10

Yep, was able to talk to some of the workers. I didn't specifically hear of any production changes - but then again I was on a fact finding mission for a unit that hasn't even started production!
Tom was really great when it came to listening to suggestions. I suggested a small counter addition to the 385 that could be put on a hinge. It would also need an additional electrical outlet nearby - think coffee station... He said "I like my coffee too!" "We'll do it".
Changes to the outdoor kitchen, 3 propane tanks vs. 4, more LED lights, decor choices... Tons of info today! Brain attack!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #11

Amxpress,
If the folks at the Campers Inn, NC are even close to the quality of folks in Elkhart you have made a wise choice! One advantage to dealing with these guys are that they are literally minutes from all the plants. We are fortunate in that we only live about 100 miles south.
I will work on getting some pictures up.
You will LOVE your grey choice!
Old 03-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
Factory Rep

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Columbus plant....We are very proud of our facility and product and love to show it off.
Christopher Columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #13

I believe Christopher Columbus (aka Jack Plummer, Columbus rep) deserves a warm welcome!

I knew you would follow through on your promise to be here for all the new and "soon to be" Columbus owners! This is the guy with all the answers or at least knows where to get all the answers!

The plant had a real homey feel. Everyone cared about the end product and making us, the end consumer happy!

Thanks once more, Jack, for your warm hospitality yesterday. Believe it or not I think I still have a couple of questions!
Old 03-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #14
Factory Rep

Jo54....I am relying on you to help me guide around this site. I will do my best to answer any and all questions that Columbus nation has.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #15

Welcome Christopher Columbus to the forum. We are patiently awaiting the arrival of our 320RS (Earth Station) to the dealer so that we can schedule a pick up (hoping for next week) Thank you for being interested in your product after it has left your hands.

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #16
Factory Rep

Thank you Earth Station I look forward to hearing about your camping trips in your new columbus....Happy Camping
Old 03-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #17

Welcome Christopher Columbus. It's good to have a guy from the factory to whom we can communicate with about Columbus 5th wheels.
We're picking up ours this Friday and camping out Friday & Saturday night to break it in.
We are very excited about our new fiver.
Thanks for being a part of the forum.
Prodigy
Old 03-21-2012, 11:44 PM   #18

Welcome Jack. Husband and I met you at the Georgia show. Our Columbus is due to be delivered to the dealer this week. We are extremely excited.

Jo45 is correct, Jack is very informative of his product and extremely patient with
customers. We probably drove him a little crazy in the beginning. LOL
trudy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:13 AM   #19

Talking

Welcome aboard! Christopher Columbus appreciate you taking the time to be on the forum. DW and I ordered at the Houston show and are anxiously waiting the arrival of our new 320rs. Guess I will be the first to take advantage and ask a question... We have heard that there was a change from 4 propane tanks to 3. Possibly due to local transportation laws. Can you confirm the change and will it be possible for the end user to add the 4th tank if true? One more, It has also been rumored that the Island on the 320rs may now be permenantly affixed (hoping this one is false) true? looking forward to your response, thanks again for being here.

Joel & Bec
redfinaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #20

My wife and I are also interested in the Columbus 385 and have been patiently waiting on this unit before ordering another brand. This unit seems to have all that we are looking for, but I am concerned about the spec's. Does anyone (Christopher Columbus?) have any information as to the length of the unit? I know it is long, but just how long? Thank you
RVdawg is offline   Reply With Quote