Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #21

I have seen more than a few people post how they order a camper and then proceed to make all kinds of camping plans and reservations with little or no allowance for the possibility of something going wrong.
Then, when something does happen, the buyer feels pressured to put up with the issues and take delivery.

In this case, the first thing I would have done is ask the dealer to contact the delivery driver and ask what had happened, in detail. He obviously hit some bad conditions, as the rust is an obvious indication of driving on very salty roads. Some of that stuff they use on the roads is terribly corrosive, and the reason I would never order a camper for delivery in the winter.

Considering the overall damage, and especially the rust, I never would have accepted it. If I was desperate to go camping, I would have asked the dealer for a loaner, or rented another unit, until a replacement camper was delivered, in the SUMMER, when the roads would be dry.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #22
daydreaming about camping

How is FR going to "make this right?" Short of delivering a new undamaged unit, they cannot. SO the questions is, will they?

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
How is FR going to "make this right?" Short of delivering a new undamaged unit, they cannot. SO the questions is, will they?
They would have if the OP had not taken delivery.
Now, I am not so sure.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #24

Last year when we had our 320 delivered we found some problems and was not getting a response that we liked,after posting my concerns it was,nt long before I was in a three way talk with the factory rep and the manager and they got it taken care of.Bill I have to believe they well take care of you.It would not be that dificult for them to build you a new 295 bring it to you and swap units unless you want to make a road trip.We do love our 320 and enjoy it very much.Hang in there.
dunebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #25

This will now boil down to the relationship the dealer wants to have with the customer and how the dealership wants to protect their reputation as a valued distributor.

I mean, the owner took delivery and signed off on the PDI.

Time to put the old warranty hat on:

If the dealership wants to maintain any type of positive relationship with this customer, they'll work with FR and get this right; working with goodwill funds and other warranty programs they have in place for such situations by either a complete restore to new condition (minus wear and tear of the first trip) or by simply trading out the unit for a new one. (and this option will probably depend on the extra options he tacked on to the unit when it was built)

If the dealership doesn't care about such things, well, only Zeus knows what headaches he'll end up with and that hard earned cash he spent on the unit; well it will have been flushed away with the black water at that last sani-dump.

My suggestion, if things go bad at the dealership, would be to contact FR direct and invite a Rep for coffee at the unit. With all the RV shows going on at this time of year, there should be one available near his location right now...

Edit:

As for the comment about syro-foam being a fact of RV life, sorry, but look at the pictures... This is inside a sealed vent. These blocks are not the usual floaters of a few bubbles. This looks like it must have been a Friday-Monday before or after an extended long weekend unit.

Speaking of which, wouldn't the Lemon-Law you have in the States apply to this situation?

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_law

Lemon laws are American state laws that provide a remedy for purchasers of cars and other consumer goods[1] in order to compensate for products that repeatedly fail to meet standards of quality and performance.
These vehicles and other goods are called "lemons." The federal lemon law (the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act) protects citizens of all states. State lemon laws vary by state and may not necessarily cover used or leased cars, and other goods. The rights afforded to consumers by lemon laws may exceed the warranties expressed in purchase contracts. Lemon law is the common nickname for these laws, but each state has different names for the laws and acts.
Federal lemon laws cover anything mechanical. The federal lemon law also provides that the warranter may be obligated to pay the prevailing party's attorney in a successful lemon law suit, as do most state lemon laws.

Just a suggestion...
blourie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #26

In regards too post # 25 (Styrofoam) Walls,Floors,Ceiling,and the entire chase system for the Roof A/C,and you think they dont use MUCH? Normal is pellets,small chunks,ect. but the large pcs.are still Styrofoam! Good luck on the L-Law in the USA also for a R/V. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #27

Unhappy

Your dealer should NOT have accepted this unit ! Your dealer should NOT have let you leave with it ! YOU should NOT have accepted this unit . You SHOULD contact FR immediately and ask for help in this matter . You SHOULD RETURN this unit to your dealers lot tomorrow morning if you haven't already. If the FR representative is not helpful RIGHT AWAY you SHOULD see a lawyer . I think you will find FR WILL attempt to help you . I would NOT ACCEPT that trailer . It has serious roof damage IMHO. The Styrofoam roof is fractured and broken IMHO. It will cost thousands to repair right . It is very obvious that this trailer was used and abused BAD . I'm sorry to speak so frankly to you but I WANT to alarm you so you will realize how serious this is IMHO !! Good Luck !! Jim
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blourie View Post

My suggestion, if things go bad at the dealership, would be to contact FR direct and invite a Rep for coffee at the unit. With all the RV shows going on at this time of year, there should be one available near his location right now...
RV shows are staged in different areas & times. The RV show comes around to Southern California in October.

IMO: Lawyers & Lemon laws seem a little premature unless I am missing something. Hopefully this problem is fixed with the right soultion ASAP and the OP can fully enjoy his RV.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #29
Trailer Trash

You know in restrospect, if I was payin tons of money on my dream RV, then plan a sweet vacation in it with family, make campsite reservations then go pick up a damaged RV.......Well if dealer or Forest River said, hey sorry about the problems.....Go take it, enjoy some vacation time, bring it back and will fix ya up so you till you are 100% happy.........I would have taken the rig.

In all this internet forum reading, typically 100% of the real story never comes out. We only read part of the whole story. Let it play out and don't get too excited guys.

I see moderators and MR. Columbus himself are reading this thread as I speak. Again, give it time. I have not read yet, ANYBODY the got screwed over on a Columbus rig in the end. Eventually, a dealer, factorry, etc. fixes the problem. Just takes time. Sometimes lots of time.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
You know in restrospect, if I was payin tons of money on my dream RV, then plan a sweet vacation in it with family, make campsite reservations then go pick up a damaged RV.......Well if dealer or Forest River said, hey sorry about the problems.....Go take it, enjoy some vacation time, bring it back and will fix ya up so you till you are 100% happy.........I would have taken the rig.

In all this internet forum reading, typically 100% of the real story never comes out. We only read part of the whole story. Let it play out and don't get too excited guys.

I see moderators and MR. Columbus himself are reading this thread as I speak. Again, give it time. I have not read yet, ANYBODY the got screwed over on a Columbus rig in the end. Eventually, a dealer, factorry, etc. fixes the problem. Just takes time. Sometimes lots of time.
It's easily to get involved in this because we feel for the OP but you posted some wise words about giving it time to play out.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #31
Not-so-Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
We're not sure what Forest River is going to do at this point. We were in contact last week with them and I have sent everybody photos and documentation and links to even more photos.

Jack Landers with Columbus is supposed to be contacting us concerning this, but so far we haven't receive a call or a reply to our emails. I guess the factory was closed today for Presidents Day since we didn't hear from anybody today either.

I will keep posting as things progress... thanks for all of the input!
• 1952 Blonde Nurse
VenturaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #32

QUOTE:
IMO: Lawyers & Lemon laws seem a little premature unless I am missing something. Hopefully this problem is fixed with the right solution ASAP and the OP can fully enjoy his RV.[/QUOTE]

I think FR will step in as we all have seen them do on this forum . Having said that , I would do everything ,I could, to be ready to proceed down a different path if need be . You (the OP) need to cover your own hind end ! That's why you talk to a lawyer . Total cost to have that conversation ? Maybe $ 50 to $150 . Pretty cheap insurance . If it was "my money" I'd want all the insurance I could get ! The dealer , if all is as the OP represented, has already demonstrated that he is not worthy of the OP's trust . Forest River is NOT the bad guy here . As far as the OP knows or we know , they built a new beautiful wonderful unit ! Then the transport company got involved and the receiving dealer . Those 2 should have done a better job of this. That's why both of them get paid ! Jim
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #33
Trailer Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
It's easily to get involved in this because we feel for the OP but you posted some wise words about giving it time to play out.
I've been on both sides of the fence in other markets. Both as a customer, project manager, vendor/salesman, etc.

When I took delivery of my Columbus last summer, my truck died 50 miles from leaving RV dealership and it had to be towed due to truck's warranty situation. It took 3 days to get repaired. Seemed like FOREVER. I look back at the event now, and remind myself, well that wasn't too bad and they did take care of me.

Another thing you will notice about online forums is.......People complain and be vocal when things go wrong. Everyone is rooting for the guy that has the bad experiance. What you tend not to see, is that same guy come back to the forum and describe how a dealer, factory, etc. took care of him. Magically the complaining goes away, and the person with the bad experiance fades off into the sunset. People say hey got it fixed. But that's about it.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Every new unit We have had (Debris) has appeared everywhere after traveling. Styrofoam is a way of life with the R/Vs. Remove panels and you will find (screws,sawdust,plastic wire covers,) Overhead lights are put there to (Catch Debris). I have NEVER found a Smooth Road on a Long trip! In regards to your first trip loss because of late delivery,Dont spend your money before you Make it! Youroo!!
Did you look at the pictures? We're not talking about some small sawdust and styrofoam debris. In one picture, there is clearly chunks of foam that are a few inches wide and long. Rough roads don't cover having your awning tube ripped to shreds or cracking wheel moldings.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:34 AM   #35

Hi Bill!~ This is Kerry and Larry, we got our 320RS from the same dealer. There was some small pieces of foam and wood debris in our vents also. We looked at it and it all seemed to be trim, from construction. Bad mark on Forest Rivers QC, but I had no concerns of construction or damage from it.
That said, you certainly have some major issues. The first thing I would do would be to get some things in writing, list of damage, who you have talked to, what has been promised and what if anything has been done. A formal letter to your dealer, Forest River Sales Rep, and the Factory to start. Getting a little legal advice might also be worth the time and expense.
I hope our dealer "RV Super Center" in Temecula CA and Forest river does the right thing here.

Kerryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:15 AM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerryj View Post
The first thing I would do would be to get some things in writing, list of damage, who you have talked to, what has been promised and what if anything has been done. A formal letter to your dealer, Forest River Sales Rep, and the Factory to start. Getting a little legal advice might also be worth the time and expense.
This looks like a pretty good plan of action. It gives all the parties involved a chance to take care of the matter in a reasonable time frame while providing you with documentation in case you need to move forward.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:41 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78 View Post
Did you look at the pictures? We're not talking about some small sawdust and styrofoam debris. In one picture, there is clearly chunks of foam that are a few inches wide and long. Rough roads don't cover having your awning tube ripped to shreds or cracking wheel moldings.
Yes I did see the vent S/Foam Pic. If you read Post #26 it stated that. The rough roads were reference to R/Vs getting the ***** shook out of them going down the road. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #38
Not-so-Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerryj View Post
Hi Bill!~ This is Kerry and Larry, we got our 320RS from the same dealer. There was some small pieces of foam and wood debris in our vents also. We looked at it and it all seemed to be trim, from construction. Bad mark on Forest Rivers QC, but I had no concerns of construction or damage from it.
That said, you certainly have some major issues. The first thing I would do would be to get some things in writing, list of damage, who you have talked to, what has been promised and what if anything has been done. A formal letter to your dealer, Forest River Sales Rep, and the Factory to start. Getting a little legal advice might also be worth the time and expense.
I hope our dealer "RV Super Center" in Temecula CA and Forest river does the right thing here.
We are actively working on the situation and have been making calls to the dealer and factory as well. Add to that daily emails to all parties, posting photos, documenting issues, etc.

When we signed the papers the dealer created and signed a list of 17 issues that would be taken care of. Of course we have found some other issues since we got it home and have communicated those to the concerned parties as well, such as the cracked gear rack on the kitchen slide. We tried to be thorough on our PDI but the weather was bad and prevented us from really seeing everything.

Pam called Jack Landers at Columbus this morning and he then contacted Dustin at RV Supercenter. The plan is for the dealer to order the necessary parts from the factory and to PU the trailer and make the other necessary repairs. I talked to Dustin and they plan to PU the trailer this week.

We have been assured that the Columbus factory and RV Supercenter will take care of everything and that we will be "happy" when it's all done. I will definitely post positive results on this forum as they happen after all we just want to be happy with our new trailer.

Now that the ball is rolling we'll wait to see how this week unfolds and will keep posting...
• 1952 Blonde Nurse
VenturaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #39

This is GOOD news, and I am happy to see that you will be taken care of. Hopefully all works out to everyone's mutual satisfaction.

As I said earlier, it is a matter of reputation and customer satisfaction. They're making enough on these units to ensure everyone is taken care of and it is done properly.

Keep us advised on the progress and hopefully you'll be hauling your beautiful unit down the road with the kids screaming in the back, "Are we THERE Yet???" real soon.

Good luck with the repairs.

Brad
blourie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #40

It is truly amazing how one "bad-apple" employee can destroy a dealer's reputation along with possible tarnish on the company that made the unit. It appears this character went "4-wheeling" while towing your new trailer! If I were that dealer, I would be on the phone/computer trying to find an exact replacement or better already built sitting on a Columbus Dealer's lot somewhere and make arrangements to Make things Right with you the customer!
53Oliver88 is offline   Reply With Quote