Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #1

Dual pane windows

Was at dealer today and our salesman kind of discouraged us from getting dual pane windows for our Columbus 320RS. I would like to here you opinions. Thanks, Craig
Sodapopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
Camper Less Camping

Can you tell us the Dealer's reason against it?

Old 03-26-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
Oklahoma Proud

I ordered them on my sabre. I've been told it will help with keeping heat and cool out. I guess like a house they = more efficiency.
I guess we will see when I get it!

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:44 PM   #4
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I ordered them on my sabre. I've been told it will help with keeping heat and cool out. I guess like a house they = more efficiency.
I guess we will see when I get it!

X2...I've been told the same from fellow RV'ers who have them on their rig...Unfortunately I did not add to my build...oh well, there are plenty of next times!

Old 03-26-2014, 07:03 PM   #5

Our salesman said that it not up the R-Factor and that seals in between could break. He just thought they were not worth the extra $1,100 and he might be right.
Sodapopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #6

We added them when we ordered our Sabre. We have 15 windows and use our camper from mid April thru mid October. After 2 seasons I can confirm they do help alot. Another thing is that they seem to keep noise out better too.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:21 PM   #7
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
X2...I've been told the same from fellow RV'ers who have them on their rig...Unfortunately I did not add to my build...oh well, there are plenty of next times!
You know I was just thinking about this today. At almost 33 yo we are fixin to get our 2nd 5er. I wonder how many campers we will have had by the time we're OC's age?!

Old 03-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #8
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post

You know I was just thinking about this today. At almost 33 yo we are fixin to get our 2nd 5er. I wonder how many camper we will have had by the time we're OC's age?!

Too many that OC would not approve...!

Old 03-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #9

They don't fog up or sweat in the cold like single pane windows do.
jeb182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:41 PM   #10
Always Learning

Had they been available (or had I known they were available), I would have ordered them in a heartbeat. As MillerTime said- they keep the hot and cold out better than single pane windows.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #11

I have them. They are great. As was mentioned there's little condensation on the windows the trailer feels less drafty. This is the first trailer I've had them and I will get them on my next trailer.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 03-26-2014, 10:58 PM   #12

Dual Pane Windows

We ordered and received our Columbus 320 June of 2013. We did opt for the thermal pane windows along with the 2nd AC. Our camping thus far has consisted of being in Southeastern Minnesota the months of Sept and Oct and January thru March in Southern Texas. The winter down here has been colder then normal with many saying it has been the coldest they can remember. There was a period of time that the temp got down to 28 degrees and for several days the high was in the 40's. I feel that having the thermal windows allowed us to be comfortable. As mentioned there is no condensation along with no drafts. We had spent last winter in our older 5th wheel which had single pane windows and the difference is very noticeable. We also have seen that in warm weather the interior is much easier to cool.

Not all of the windows are of the thermal type. The ones on the slide outs are single pane. The reason for this is that the thermal panes are not flush mounts and would not clear the slide out seals.

Good luck with your purchase decisions and hope that you enjoy your 320 as much as we have.
Enjoying the Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:07 PM   #13
Denver, CO

As an experiment I put the shrinkwrap plastic window stuff on several of the nonclosing portions of my single pane windows and that really made a difference. Didn't do the opening portions of the flush windows, but plan to cut some bubble insulation for those for cold nights.

The shrink wrap prevented condensation completely.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:49 AM   #14
Plain Old Member

We have the single pane windows and always have. We'd have probably ordered dual pane windows, but we bought a lot unit, and the windows has never been a deal breaker for me. All our windows are tinted, and most windows that we don't care to see out of are also lined with the reflective bubble stuff, which works probably same or better than thermal pane, and way cheaper. Blocks light and heat. The only windows left uncovered are in the kitchen living area. My wife likes the bedrooms blacked out, day or night, so every camper we've had has been like this. With the dehumidifier we have, nothing sweats, ever, regardless of showers, wet towels or runnning gas furnace. If you don't have thermal pane, and don't want the sweating, get a demidifier. I had posted a thread not long ago asking for opinions on these. We bought one the next day, and it is night and day on the inside. No more muggy feeling inside. Good dry air, and no windows or walls sweating. Worth every penny.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoying the Good Life View Post
We ordered and received our Columbus 320 June of 2013. We did opt for the thermal pane windows along with the 2nd AC. Our camping thus far has consisted of being in Southeastern Minnesota the months of Sept and Oct and January thru March in Southern Texas. The winter down here has been colder then normal with many saying it has been the coldest they can remember. There was a period of time that the temp got down to 28 degrees and for several days the high was in the 40's. I feel that having the thermal windows allowed us to be comfortable. As mentioned there is no condensation along with no drafts. We had spent last winter in our older 5th wheel which had single pane windows and the difference is very noticeable. We also have seen that in warm weather the interior is much easier to cool.

Not all of the windows are of the thermal type. The ones on the slide outs are single pane. The reason for this is that the thermal panes are not flush mounts and would not clear the slide out seals.

Good luck with your purchase decisions and hope that you enjoy your 320 as much as we have.
I brought a Wildcat Sterling fifthwheel and all the windows were dual pane, my Cedar Creek now does not have dual pane windows. I was thinking of maybe putting them in later, it would cost some but they do seem to keep out more noise
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:33 AM   #16

If they work as good as the one's I had installed in my home from single pane, they are worth the extra bucks if I had that option but I do not think I would change out all my windows now to do on my trailer. I'm a 3 season camper do not like this cold weather at all. So I just crank up that AC and let it go.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodapopman View Post
Was at dealer today and our salesman kind of discouraged us from getting dual pane windows for our Columbus 320RS. I would like to here you opinions. Thanks, Craig
The feedback thus far is clear and credible on the benefits of dual pane windows. If it were me, I would be asking a couple of questions; what is the salesperson’s motivation to for providing me with this poor advice, I.E. is he or she trying to sell me a rig already on order or on the lot? If not, is he or she really all that that knowledgeable to begin with and/or what other bad advice has been provided.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
The feedback thus far is clear and credible on the benefits of dual pane windows. If it were me, I would be asking a couple of questions; what is the salesperson’s motivation to for providing me with this poor advice, I.E. is he or she trying to sell me a rig already on order or on the lot? If not, is he or she really all that that knowledgeable to begin with and/or what other bad advice has been provided.

Exactly what I was thinking - good points.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:33 AM   #19

I think if you are going to spend long periods of time in the 5er it would be worth it. But if just using it for quick weekends you just can't justify the cost. Or at least this was my deciding factor when we just recently order ours. Once a year we spend a full week at the beach but other than that its weekend trips. Also, with 2 AC units and one being upgraded to a 15K BTU unit I can't imagine I will be hot. I could be wrong but my old 2004 travel trailer with one AC unit kept us cool for years at the beach in 100 degree weather.

I decided to spend the extra money on a 2nd AC unit and the leveling system instead of the dual pain windows. Sure they will be nice but I couldn't justify the extra cost no more time than I get to spend in mine.
Pirates55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:51 AM   #20
Oklahoma Proud

See im the opposite. Our other 5er was only 34' and the one 15k ac definantly not close to being enough for it, I was fixin to add a 2nd when it totaled.
I just hope that the 2 ac (with the 15k) and the dual panes will be enough. I know afew have added a third ac on thier 365saq's I believe. I just hope that I won't need to do that on mine.