Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2016, 10:15 AM   #1

Electrical Question

I have a 2014 Palamino 32RCTS 5th wheel. I have it close to three years. We were out last week and I decided to do some electrical load testing. I had the rig hooked up to 50AMP service with a Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C that allows me to monitor both AC lines for Voltage and AMPs. I thought it was time for me to know what my devices drew in the way of amps and which line the AC outlets drew from, L1 or L2. I went through the entire rig recording fixed appliances such as the furnace, microwave etc. I also took my portable devices such as electric heaters, hair dryer and recorded their current draw as well as plugging them into the various AC outlets so I would know which line each outlet drew from. It was a good exercise.

When I got home I only have a normal 15 AMP 115 volt outlet to hook up to so I took my 50 AMP cable and used a 50-30 adapter than used a 30-15 AMP adapter and plugged there girl into the garage. So I wondered since I only had one line, if ALL the rigs AC receptacles worked. (by the way I sort of knew they all worked because in the years I own the rig I never had a problem at any AC receptacle when configured in this manner.) Just to be sure I took an AC circuit tester to every receptacle in the rig and had a power reading at each one.

So my question is: Is there an electrical management system in these rigs that monitor the power and can switch things between a single line and dual line configuration? How does the rig go from two lines to providing me power at each receptacle on a single line?

I am not very good with electrical stuff so just would like to know how the thing works so if I have an issue I can be somewhat informed. I am not even sure the question makes sense. Can anyone help?

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:32 AM   #2

It's done with magic and mirrors. Just kidding. The switching takes place in the adapters you are using to connect to something other than a 50 amp receptacle. it's how the adapter is wired. Remember, unlike the 50 amp input to your unit where 50 amps is available to each buss of your unit that the total amps available to both your 50 amp busses will be whatever the last adapter used is (30 or 15).
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:32 AM   #3

Nope...you are the system that does that by using a 50 to 30, which feeds both sides from one 30 amp, then the 30 to 15 and then to a receptacle. Now, you can easily draw more than 15 amps and your house breaker will pop!

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:50 AM   #4
Site Team

As Scott and bubbles stated, the adapters take a single 120 volt leg (L1) and share/jump it over to the L2 side. You are limited to the TOTAL amps of the outlet you are plugged into.

Instead of having 50 amps per leg for a total of 100 amps on your normal service...you are now sharing 30 amps between the two legs for a total of 30 amps (using the 30 amp adapter)...or sharing 15 amps between the two legs for a total of 15 amps (using the 15 amp adapter)

This diagram may help you see it, as the one on the right is the 50 amp adapter to 30 amp. You can see how the wiring works. Hope it helps

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical