Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
Retired

Feedback from 33CKTS-6 owners

Hi all,

I am presently in the process of trading in our other brand name 5er where we've short listed a 2015 33CKTS-6 so I'm requesting some feedback from some of the owners on this forum. Both positive and negative.

Any issues with the slide system?

This trailer has the 4 point leveling system in it so what's your experience with that?

How is Forest River to deal with? Our present trailer was built by Keystone where they were excellent to work with. Local dealers was our issue because we didn't buy it locally.

Thanks
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #2

I don't have that model, but am finishing our second year with our Sabre 34TBOK. We love it. Seems to be built fairly well, tows great, and great amenities. There's a fairly good Sabre group hear, and most have been very satisfied with their rigs. As for warranty and general service, I think forest river is among the best. One thing to highlight, if you can make the international Goshen rally in late summer, forest river goes all out to satisfy customers, even going as far as fixing anything on any forest river camper, regardless of age, all for free!
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome. I have a different sabre, the 34REQS. We purchased in July. We have had major problems with ours. Both our dealership and forest river have been great to work with. Our unit will be returning to the factory this month for repairs. Forest river told me to finish my season, call them when I was ready and they would have a driver pick it up within a few days. There have been no questions or arguments about our issues, only problem solving. Despite our problems, we love our trailer, just want it fixed. I have bern advised by other owners, hang on through the early problems and then I will have a great trailer. I'm clinging to that now.

Another thing, forest river holds a factory rally yearly in Indiana. They will repair problems on any forest river product for free regardless of year or cause during the rally.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:15 AM   #4

Welcome aboard! We have the same model you are considering and we got it a few days before Labor Day. We have 11 nights in it so far and we love the floor plan. We do not have the leveling system so I can't speak to that. We had two issues and our dealer took care of one of them. The bottom shower track was put in backwards so the weep holes drained to the bathroom floor and not back into the shower pan. Dealer had to take the shower apart to turn the track around. I wasn't happy with their caulk work so I did it myself and everything is fine with it now.

The other issue is with one of the frameless windows. The first time we opened it, the control arms jumped out of track. I poiinted it out to the dealer and they said they fixed it. Since I was in a hurry to pick it back up I did not run out the slides to get to the window to check it. Turns out they did not fix it so it will be going back in the off season. Something else may come up so to save return trips I'll wait it out a bit.

No slide issues, pulls great. We looked and looked at all mid size fivers and kept coming back to this trailer. I did get rid of the Westlake tires right away and put on Goodyear Marathons. Still Chinese tires (couldn't find an American made ST tire in my size) but hope the Goodyear name means some improvement.

Enjoy and keep up posted on what you decide to do.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
Retired

Thanks for the replies,

Asquared: I hear about the odd RV needing to make its way back to the factory but it's a first for me that they come and pick it up. It is reassuring that FR is working with you.

BTW... We were in Charlotte North Carolina last year in May for the NASCAR races. We had an awesome time and want to go back. Beautiful countryside too.

Old Car: lol... I did some searching before I started this thread and came across your post about the shower tracks. I checked this trailer where the tracks are in correct. That's not to say there isn't other issues though but that's what a thorough PDI is for... Especially being late in the season where we won't get a chance to break it in until Spring.

I gotta admit I've never heard of Westlake tires either. I am not a fan of ST tires (especially made in China) and have been contemplating making it part of the deal that they replace the tires with LT's. We did that with our current trailer where the dealer installed BFG Commercial T/A's and I loved them.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:14 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Here is my take. My fiver is one of those that the entire factory had a bad day. My dealership has been phenomenal to work with. They have helped me and listened to my every problem but some problems are better handled by the factory ie the hole 3 my slides sit in were not cut square so no they pinch the slides and are tearing the seals off the fiver. I received the contact info for the sabre factory warranty rep from this forum. I contacted him directly. Within 24 hrs I had an email and a phone call from him. He was extremely helpful. He also wanted me to finish my camping season before sending it back. He said call him at the end of the season and he will have someone here in a couple days to pick it up. We will be emptying everything out and winterizing this weekend. I will contact him Monday to arrange for pick up. I have only positive things to say about both forest river and my dealerships customer service at this point. So buy with the confidence that they do back their product. If you have any issues it's probably dealership related and you will need to bypass them if that is the case. As for them picking it up, a friend sent his cruiser back to the crossroads factory. Crossroads not only picked it up but they flew him out to check the work before shipping it back.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #7

We also have the 33CKTS and love it. The only oroblems that we have had was some minor workmanship issues. Missing latches on drawers seals not attached correctly nylon pad that the slide glids over on the curbside slide, bad circut board in the furnace. All were taken care of by our dealer. The floor plan is exactly what we wanted. I'm sure you will be happy with the Sabre. Go for it!

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #8
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Here is my take. My fiver is one of those that the entire factory had a bad day. My dealership has been phenomenal to work with. They have helped me and listened to my every problem but some problems are better handled by the factory ie the hole 3 my slides sit in were not cut square so no they pinch the slides and are tearing the seals off the fiver. I received the contact info for the sabre factory warranty rep from this forum. I contacted him directly. Within 24 hrs I had an email and a phone call from him. He was extremely helpful. He also wanted me to finish my camping season before sending it back. He said call him at the end of the season and he will have someone here in a couple days to pick it up. We will be emptying everything out and winterizing this weekend. I will contact him Monday to arrange for pick up. I have only positive things to say about both forest river and my dealerships customer service at this point. So buy with the confidence that they do back their product. If you have any issues it's probably dealership related and you will need to bypass them if that is the case. As for them picking it up, a friend sent his cruiser back to the crossroads factory. Crossroads not only picked it up but they flew him out to check the work before shipping it back.
Was it just the seals being torn the only symptom of the opening being out of square... (No pun intended) It's reassuring FR is standing up to their product. Customer Service after the sale is big for me.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:13 PM   #9
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeChuck View Post
We also have the 33CKTS and love it. The only oroblems that we have had was some minor workmanship issues. Missing latches on drawers seals not attached correctly nylon pad that the slide glids over on the curbside slide, bad circut board in the furnace. All were taken care of by our dealer. The floor plan is exactly what we wanted. I'm sure you will be happy with the Sabre. Go for it!
How did you know the nylon pad wasn't attached properly?

Do your slides tip approx. 3 or 4 inches when retracting or expanding? My current trailer's slides don't do that. I've never seen the electric slides on any other Sabre operate is why I'm asking.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #10
Retired

Ok so we pulled the trigger and traded in the Montana for a 2015 33CKTS...

We weighed the pros and the cons and decided the pros did outweigh the cons...

Build quality... I really didn't see much difference between our Montana and Sabre... They are however replacing the Chinese ST's for LT's as part of the deal.

I had the Montana in the same dealer's shop to fix a slow moving slide under extended warranty where the service manager impressed me with his honesty! He told me the way it was and I like that... Less room for bad surprises later... And this was before they knew I was looking on their lot at the same time.

Thanks again to all who replied...
Old 11-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #11

Quick check with owners of the 33CKTS concerning the downspout over the dining room/theater seating slide. We have not used our awning much the last few trips because of trees, etc. and while on the current trip I noticed the downspout on this slide that is right by the awning arm is actually pinched in the arm itself. I was able to pull the spout out but it will definitely happen again. Once home I will remove it and see if it will remount out of the way and caulk it again. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:13 PM   #12

Sorryforthelatereply. I noticed the nylon piece sticking out from under the carpet on the slide. Not sure about slide out down spout by the awning. I dont think i have one there.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote