Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #1

Grey Water tank 1 and tank 2 question

Hi, Newbe here.
Purchased a 2018 Puma Palomino 30dbsc end of last year.
So far just been using on weekends, but finally did a 10day camp.
So according to the control panel I have a Grey tank 1 and a Grey tank 2
The Grey Tank 2 filled up full first then Tank 1 started to fill, maybe a 1/3 full and all of the sudden grey water was backing up into the bath tub.

Is there some king of toggle to switch between the 2 tanks?

Please help, Thanks
kodaclr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:24 AM   #2

According to the Palomino website you only have a 35 gallon grey tank. Should only be 1 tank. A lot of these trailers have a control panel that fits many different trailers. It says grey 1 and 2 but more than likely you only have 1 tank.

2006 F-250 CCSB 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke
Air Lift 5k bags w/ onboard compressor
2022 Keystone Raptor 351
B&W Companion
Brendon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #3

But I have 3 tanks and 3 levers .
Old 07-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #4

My first response would have been the same as Brendon's, but if you have two grey emptying valves then I'm going to assume you do have two tanks. But typically they aren't connected in any way. One tank does the kitchen sink and one tank does the bathroom sink and shower. Sounds like tank 2 is the bathroom in your trailer. I'm guessing it wasn't that tank 2 filled up first and then tank 1 started to fill, just coincidence that you didn't hit the 1/3 mark on your galley tank until after you hit the full mark on your bathroom tank. I usually get one more shower after my tank reads full and on the second shower it starts backing up in the tub.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaclr View Post
But I have 3 tanks and 3 levers .
Well since you have a 3rd lever then you probably have a galley tank just for the kitchen sink. Like Keith said it's probably just coincidence that your galley tank read 1/3 and your shower/sink tank overfilled.

2006 F-250 CCSB 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke
Air Lift 5k bags w/ onboard compressor
2022 Keystone Raptor 351
B&W Companion
Brendon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:39 AM   #6

Thanks everyone,
Based on the explanations and the usage of my trailer last week then kitchen sink and shower is Tank 2 and Tank 1 is bathroom sink and outdoor sink.

Good to know.
Thanks again everyone.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #7

The easiest way to determine what is going where would be to empty both tanks then run some water at the kitchen sink and see which dump valve it empties from. Repeat for the bathroom sink and outside sink. You already know the shower is draining to tank 2.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:42 PM   #8

Yes thank You,
we didn't use the shower only kitchen sink and and out door sink.but it backed into shower.that is why I think Kitchen and shower is Tank 2 and outdoor and bath room sink in Tank 1.
Thanks
Old 07-09-2019, 01:16 PM   #9

I have a Puma 31RLQS with 2 gray water tanks, the second tank is for a washer which we have. It can be shut off separately from the bathroom/kitchen sink gray water tank. There should be 4 shutoff valves under the trailer.
AdamKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:59 PM   #10

I don't have a washer or hook ups for washer.
I only see 3 tanks and 3 shut offs, one is black.

Thanks everyone for the info, I just thought that as one filled it would overflow into second, as the second filled then I would need to empty.

Now I know they are separate.

Thank You all.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #11

there is a possible help to allow grey water to equalize across two tanks. but it depends on how you drain pipes are plumbed. you have two grey and one black, each with its own dump valve. now how many sewer hose connections do you have? if only one that means all three of the waste tanks are plumbed to use the common sewer connection. you should see all the drains from the tanks joining right before the sewer connection.

if this is the way you are plumbed you can buy an external twist on gate valve that twist onto the sewer connection. valterra makes on but there are others. put it on and close its gate valve. now you can open the drain valves on the two grey tanks and water will flow across the two grey tanks and equalize the level in the two tanks. this may allow you to go a bit longer if the usage of the two grey tanks is unequal.

Tags
grey water, tank, water, water tank