Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2019, 10:41 AM   #1

Hot water Tank won't lite

I have a 2017 180FB TT with a suburban SW6D water hot water heater.
I bought it and it was winterized when I picked it up now after, Dewinterize the hot water tank will not lite.
I have checked all of the fuses and water tank is full when I turn on the switch I get a Dis fault red light that will not go off, The gas tank is full
what else could be the problem I am lost
Grenadier 525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
Site Team

May be air in the lines. Light the stove and let it run minute or two. Then try again. You should here it click ( from outside). If you do not hear it clicks, then it has gone into safe mode due to not lighting after several tries. Pull the 12V WH fuse for a minute or so and replace it. That should reset it. Now try again.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:04 AM   #3

If purging the gas line of air by running the stove doesn't clear the problem, check to see if there is actually spark at the igniter. Have someone turn on the heater while you have the cover down and look for actual spark at the tip of the igniter. Sometimes one of natures small critters will have taken up residence in this area (spiders usually) and their web is shorting the spark so it won't ignite the gas. Often a blast of compressed air will clear them out or if no compressed air, clean the area with an old tooth brush being careful to not bend the igniter wire.

Usually the purging will clear this issue but even if gas is getting there, spark is necessary to finish the process of lighting.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If purging the gas line of air by running the stove doesn't clear the problem, check to see if there is actually spark at the igniter. Have someone turn on the heater while you have the cover down and look for actual spark at the tip of the igniter. Sometimes one of natures small critters will have taken up residence in this area (spiders usually) and their web is shorting the spark so it won't ignite the gas. Often a blast of compressed air will clear them out or if no compressed air, clean the area with an old tooth brush being careful to not bend the igniter wire.

Usually the purging will clear this issue but even if gas is getting there, spark is necessary to finish the process of lighting.
.. I'd add, If you are hearing a spark, also observe how the igniter is fastened to the burner chamber. That's a system ground. If you see rust, scale etc at that junction, remove the igniter and brush that connection and reassemble. As with any high voltage component be careful with what you go cleaning the igniter itself with... brass wire brush yes, steel wire brush definitely not. Steer clear of the porcelain insulator. If you can read the schematics in the library above, you should determine that the igniter sends a flame presence signal to the board as well as recieving a spark pulse to light up. My guesstimate would be 4-6Kv with that kind of air gap for the spark
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:20 PM   #5

hot water heater

from my experience the the Suburban SW6D hot water heater the first thing to check is the circuit board. They produced a mess of crappie circuit boards that over heat and fail. You can contact them and they will send you a updated replacement (made in China) or order one from Dinosaur Electronics Model UIB S, they are made in the USA and available from Amazon. I have a 24' 2017 EVO TT had the same problem new circuit board fixed it.
frusso70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:25 PM   #6

Last fall, my tank would not light on propane, no spark for ignition. Since the trailer was going in for service on another issue, I had the dealer look at it. Turns out, the wire connector into the control board had vibrated loose and disconnected. Once plugged in tightly, it works fine. Connection was under a white plastic cover.

Good luck.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:34 PM   #7
Site Team

Here is another thread/poster with a similair problem. Turned out to be the circuit board.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post2070684
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:40 PM   #8

Thank you I found the problem someone had all of the water shut off from WH
Old 04-16-2019, 03:44 PM   #9
Site Team

If you tried turning the heater on with no water in it you may have burned out your heating element.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenadier 525 View Post
You need to explain further. In your OP you stated you dewinterized and the tank was full. No water would not have stopped it from lighting on gas. ( I don't believe) No water would have burned out the electric element and you would not have hot water now.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:54 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenadier 525 View Post
No water in and will not light are two unconnected issues.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:01 PM   #12
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
If you tried turning the heater on with no water in it you may have burned out your heating element.
This posting is a little confusing, but I though he was telling us the troubles he was having with the water heater by heating it using propane. He mentions the DSI light being ON and such. If there’s no water in the heater, and you try heating it by the electric element, you could fry your element....but again that’s the electric side of things.

Grenadier 525....are you trying to heat by propane, or electric? Valves being closed won’t matter if there’s trouble igniting the burner, like Mr. Dan says.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:09 PM   #13

SW6D WH

also I re plugged the wires in junction box for the WH and turned on the Bypass Valve
Old 04-16-2019, 04:12 PM   #14

I also found wires loose in the junction Box for WH they were not making contact very good all is well now thank you Works Great
Old 04-16-2019, 04:19 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
This posting is a little confusing, but I though he was telling us the troubles he was having with the water heater by heating it using propane. He mentions the DSI light being ON and such. If there’s no water in the heater, and you try heating it by the electric element, you could fry your element....but again that’s the electric side of things.

Grenadier 525....are you trying to heat by propane, or electric? Valves being closed won’t matter if there’s trouble igniting the burner, like Mr. Dan says.
You're right. Based on the model number it's a gas only heater.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
No water in and will not light are two unconnected issues.
Not necessarily. If you dry fire it with no water in the tank, you can trip the ECO hi-limit thermostat. If this is tripped, then the water heater will not light on propane as it cuts off the 12 volt power to the module board.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Not necessarily. If you dry fire it with no water in the tank, you can trip the ECO hi-limit thermostat. If this is tripped, then the water heater will not light on propane as it cuts off the 12 volt power to the module board.
Lernt sompin today
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:34 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
The OP said "I have checked all of the fuses and water tank is full" so I assumed it wasn't dry-fired.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 04-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
The OP said "I have checked all of the fuses and water tank is full" so I assumed it wasn't dry-fired.
I understand and agree with your assessment. I was just pointing out a situation where the two can be interconnected.

One of the first things that's good to always ask when an OP states the water heater is full...is how did they check to make certain. Many times it's they just turned on a tap, which if the tank is bypassed the water is coming via the bypass/crossover.

We are about to be deluged with this annual problem. Lol

I will point to this thread many times this spring.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:42 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
I understand and agree with your assessment. I was just pointing out a situation where the two can be interconnected.
OK, I quoted the OP's comment in order to address his particular situation. For him, the issues are not connected. For others, they may be.

Tags
hot water, lite, tank, water, water tank