Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2020, 03:34 PM   #1

King Jack Omni Directional JDTV Antenna

My 2020 Puma 257RESS says that it comes with the "King Jack omni-directional HDTV antenna with built-in long-range signal finder and WiFi prep"...what does that mean?

I tried to get television channels when I first set up and couldn't get anything at all. I gave up and bought a Roku device but would love to know if it is possible to get TV without internet.

Did I miss a step in set up or is there something else that I need to buy to make this King Jack work?

2020 Puma 257RESS
2020 Ram 2500 4 X 4
Centerville, Texas
Living to work and Working to live!
Sharonogoingsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 02:59 PM   #2

Antenna

we just bought a 2015 Columbus 340RK and found the same issue. It is probably something i haven't done or checked but i too cannot get any channels. I plugged in a Firestick and all is well but i would like to get the Antenna to work. Thanks
Rising Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

If you can find your TV booster switch.....it should look something like this. (See below)

It’s usually found fairly close to the main TV....maybe just behind it. You have to turn the booster ON.....you might see a green light come on.

Then in the TV itself, go to menu and select “Antennae” as opposed to “Cable” when you might be in a campground offering cable.

Then run channel scan. You must run a scan every time you move locations of your RV.

THE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27F9E081-6CAE-407D-8E59-1EB571E4BBE7.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	244870  

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:13 PM   #4
D W

About a year and a half ago my neighbor had problems with his King Jack on his 5er. Ten miles out of Anchorage, in his driveway, the OTA reception was pitiful. Every two minutes the picture would either disappear or pixelate. He checked connectors, traced coax and even replaced the Winegard switch plate. Nothing worked. He got the info off of my "batwing" antenna and ordered one from Amazon. Perfect reception! Those King Jack's are garbage.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:26 PM   #5

I can add to this, if anyone is still watching...
We have the King Jack antenna as well, and yes, you have to power it on. There is a light as described on the coaxial wall plate, and also one on the bottom of the antenna, so it can be seen from the ground, outside the camper. One other thing to check is this. On our antenna directional control (located in the master bedroom) our knob arrow is opposite the direction of the actual antenna. I'm sure someone from the factory just put it on 180* incorrectly, but once I found that out, I usually have no trouble pulling in channels from 60 miles away or so, unless it's hilly terrain.

Best of Luck.
GXPWeasel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXPWeasel1 View Post
I can add to this, if anyone is still watching...
We have the King Jack antenna as well, and yes, you have to power it on. There is a light as described on the coaxial wall plate, and also one on the bottom of the antenna, so it can be seen from the ground, outside the camper. One other thing to check is this. On our antenna directional control (located in the master bedroom) our knob arrow is opposite the direction of the actual antenna. I'm sure someone from the factory just put it on 180* incorrectly, but once I found that out, I usually have no trouble pulling in channels from 60 miles away or so, unless it's hilly terrain.

Best of Luck.
The rounded end is the front of the antenna and typically that would also mean the arrow points to the rounded end. If this is not the way yours is then yes the knob is 180 deg out.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:22 PM   #7

You have an omnidirectional yet directional pointable antenna?
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
The rounded end is the front of the antenna and typically that would also mean the arrow points to the rounded end. If this is not the way yours is then yes the knob is 180 deg out.
Correct.
The arrow on the control inside the camper, aligns with the squared off end of our antenna. Which is not correct. In the picture below, my arrow on my directional control, points the same direction as where the "King Jack" sticker is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Antenna.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	251484  
GXPWeasel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:59 PM   #9

I have a king jack brand round top omnidirectional TV antenna. There is no pointing.
By definition, omnidirectional means no pointing.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
I have a king jack brand round top omnidirectional TV antenna. There is no pointing.
By definition, omnidirectional means no pointing.
Correct, omnidirection = all directions, hence, no turning. Unfortunately it also equals no gain. The antenna performs equally bad in all directions.

Since electronics have become cheaper and smaller, to compensate for the no gain antenna manufactures have added pre-amplifiers to the antennas. This overall package is intended to give the user the convenience of not having to rotate the antenna in search of transmitter sites and still have good performance.

Of course adding a pre-amp to a directional antenna gives even better performance, but the antenna needs to be aimed at the transmitter site (usually outside of the city where the station studio is).
Larry L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna