Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #21
RVWholesalers Representative

2008Wildcat, I respectively choose to completely disagree with you on the fact that warranty work does not pay. Simply put our dealership works closely with Forest River, follows the rules/processes they have set up and do things as they ask. We find at RVW that warranty work is very profitable and pays many bills for us. We also will do warranty work on all units whether we sold them or not. The other day we had a Sierra in our shopp as well as a Prime Time unit. I don't sell either, but doing the warranty work brings in money and gives me a chance to earn the business of a customer for a future sale as well as future parts business and service business. It is also time that all RV Dealers wake up and act in a professional manner. The days of refusing to do service for a customer because he/she would not pay an inflated price has to end. Dealers playing games, threatning service, etc. have forced more people out of the RV Industry then the recession ever could have. Shame on us! Let's support the customers, not make them pawns in a competition. I am sorry for the rant, but we can do much better in the RV industry supporting our customers, and everyone with a camper is my and every other dealers customer. Thanks again for letting me post on here!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #22

We bought from a small? dealer. It is a (Travel Trailer) they break down all over the USA. Buy local Crap does (Nothing) when you are on a LONG trip. I find a Dealer,call F/R for the OK pay for the repair and F/R pays me when I send the bill. This is for the F/R Warrenty work. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:08 AM   #23
Engineer of Crazy Train

Is it really worth buying outside the local area? I am from the OP area and would buy from almost any of the local guys in a heartbeat and support the LOCAL economy.

The used TT I am in the process of buying is from Albany NY. A good friend of mine is a salesman, and seeing he had what I liked, no problems helping a former railroad brother out.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:19 AM   #24

This problem is not unique to RVs. Sewing machine dealers sometimes pull the same stunt. My husband's job changed and we moved cross country. The sewing machine dealer in the new location informed me that because I hadn't purchased my machine from them, I would would be on a waiting list for any classes or any service until "their" customers were served first! Yes I let them know that they would lose my business and yes I did call and let the owner know when I bought a new machine - not from them - and that the reason was their poor customer service.

Youroo is correct - people need service away from home.
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:33 AM   #25
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddurnell View Post
2008Wildcat, I respectively choose to completely disagree with you on the fact that warranty work does not pay. Simply put our dealership works closely with Forest River, follows the rules/processes they have set up and do things as they ask. We find at RVW that warranty work is very profitable and pays many bills for us. We also will do warranty work on all units whether we sold them or not. The other day we had a Sierra in our shopp as well as a Prime Time unit. I don't sell either, but doing the warranty work brings in money and gives me a chance to earn the business of a customer for a future sale as well as future parts business and service business. It is also time that all RV Dealers wake up and act in a professional manner. The days of refusing to do service for a customer because he/she would not pay an inflated price has to end. Dealers playing games, threatning service, etc. have forced more people out of the RV Industry then the recession ever could have. Shame on us! Let's support the customers, not make them pawns in a competition. I am sorry for the rant, but we can do much better in the RV industry supporting our customers, and everyone with a camper is my and every other dealers customer. Thanks again for letting me post on here!
My dealership does plenty of warranty work on units not purchased from us...

Quite a few Rockwoods and other brands with RVW stickers on them. Its what keeps the Service working over winter, when the locals have been taken care of because of Winter.

But, that said, there is a pecking order we follow-- Broken down, any RV on the road-1st priority. Our customers- 2nd priority. 3rd is anyone else.

Are you saying that your Service department could survive on warranty work alone? If so, you may want to see just how good they are actually fixing things. Have you had to remove and replace an entire rubber roof in 6 hours? Evidently that is how long it takes according to FR....

I'm not saying that all jobs are under houred, but the major ones are. We just replaced both axles on a Crusader under warranty, and they allowed 6.5 hours...this included welding on the spring perches, replacing all springs and shackles, and aligning. Never, ever get it done in 6.5....

I've also never been to your RVW facility to see your Service Department, but we have 8 PDI/Tech bays, 3 motorhome lifts, and a full body shop with 4 bays and a 65 foot down draft paint booth, so maybe you do make money on warranty work and have a low overhead for lack of techs and service bays??

Just guessing and speculating here, not arguing. Just know what it takes to run OUR shop....
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:17 AM   #26

Let me help to further clear the air

In Dec 2008 I tried to purchase a motor home from CXXXXXX IXX. I tried for a month until I had planned to meet their demands and was ready to buy and was told that it was an inconvient time and to come back on the weekend. By then I had enough I ended up not going back and buying the sams coach out of state. In the spring my new rig needed warranty work. I called cXXXXXX iXX service and asked if they do the work, I explained that I bought out of state and not through them. The service department said no problem. I got the coach to them early March. By May nothing was done. I asked what was going on. I was told and I quote "you are being punished for not buying from us. We plan to hold your coach until Sept and cost you the entire camping season" I had to actually threaten to call the police to get my coach back. I pulled my coach out and went back to the factory.

There is not wanting to working on product you do not sell and there is just being mean spirited as I believe CXXXXXX IXX have proven to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Hey Peter,

Sorry to hear this. Its something that I hear every now and then as its a popular topic of conversation on various camper sites.

Just to clear the air a little on this, I think you are misinformed about the acceptability of this treatment. No matter how unsavory it feels to be treated this way, you need to understand (although you will not like to hear this) is that its a common industry business practice and manufacturers publish the "warning" that dealers are independent and prioritize their service so that they take care of their purchasing customers first. Basically, buying local can help.

So, where does that leave you. In your case, I would pursue two options. You bought from RV Wholesalers so make sure to connect with them. They advertise a "Nationwide Service Network" so lets see what they can do.

Your second bet is to work with FR as you have started doing and see if they can find you a dealer or independent service shop that is happy for the work.

Good luck and I hope this works out for you.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #27

I worked with my closest dealer and when I had selected the model I wanted I priced it on the internet. When the local dealer knew I was serious they gave me their best price which was about $1500 more than the internet price. When I put a pencil to it, it was going to cost about $900 to make the trip plus 4-5 days time. I chose to buy local even though it cost me a little more and save my 4-5 days for camping time. When all was said and done there wasn't a lot of difference for me. Had it been $6K difference, I would have been "on the road" too.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #28

I just have to say that after reading responses both here and on other threads from Mr. Durnell, I am very glad I chose to go with RVWholesalers for my purchase. I can't imagine why on Earth anyone would want to give a dealership their business if they are going to be complete jerks to people coming to them for warranty work. I think it is apparent why RVWholesalers sells so many units. I, like most others, like to give business locally when I can, but I refuse to pay 4-6K more for the same unit. I will pay a little extra, but not an exorbitant amount. Companies have to earn my business, not vice-versa. To the original poster- find yourself a good independent RV service man and pay for the repairs out of pocket if you have to. You'll still come out WAY ahead unless you have some major repairs to make. I saved around 4K going with RVW- that'll cover a lot of repairs out of pocket.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #29

You can back and forth with this all day. If you are a dealer, you do not "like" doing warranty work, and you cannot survive doing just warranty work, but there are many other variables that should go into your decision about whether to do work for customer that did not purchase from you. First, you should consider what you will get along with the warranty work. Hopefully that customer will become loyal to you and give you cash work too. In addition, word of mouth is more important than anything. If you take good care of people in general, you will last in an economy that will eat you alive if you dont. With the internet people are smarter buyers, they talk, and if you act the way this one dealer did, you will not last much longer. As I have stated before on this forum, I come from the auto repair industry. I was the service manager for the largest dealership in Delaware. You need a good mix of warranty work, cash work, parts sales and inventory sales, but more important than anything, you need a reputation of taking care of people when they walk through your doors. As I stated before, big mistake not to.
2013 Columbus 320RS
Maryland
Times camping in 2013 - 5
Sporoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=2008Wildcat;289253]I'm not saying that all jobs are under houred, but the major ones are. We just replaced both axles on a Crusader under warranty, and they allowed 6.5 hours...this included welding on the spring perches, replacing all springs and shackles, and aligning. Never, ever get it done in 6.5.../QUOTE]

Isn't this just the same as automotive warranty work? Certainly some job are under-houred but others or over-houred and in the end, it all balances out.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #31

Reading this (and many other) thread makes me glad to be working with my dealer.

I have been looking at trailers for the past several months. I have been to several local dealers. The dealer that I purchased from was always helpful and never pressured me. When I was ready to purchase, I had already received a quote from RVW and RVDirect. Both I thought were very good estimates. I told my local dealer that I had quotes from them but I did not tell him what price they gave me. The price quote he brought me was $200 cheaper than either one. (to use a old saying) I was a happy camper.

We have it on order and should be picking up around the first of March.

I will say that the service issue was a concern that I had with ordering out of state. I do believe that in general, that many business's have lost a since of customer service. It's a shame. Good customer service often results in new customers.
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #32

RVW called first thing this morning and is calling local dealers in their network, I don't regret buying out of state of especially from RVW, in all this I will continue to tell my story at campground to friends or with whom ever brings up RVs about my big saving....with RVW And now confident that my service will addressed! ... Although not yet scheduled but steps in the right direction !
I appreciate this experience, or warning not to do business with Camper Inn .... Short vision on their part ...my warranty would have expired in late spring , and then I would have been a cash customer instead I will warn whom ever of my experience with them!
Hopefully by tomorrow I have a schedule date to bring in my RV
Big saving and great service where owners of out of state dealers care and we are not a one way sale !!'
I would drive all over again 1570 miles for the big saving and great service !!!

Update soon!
Pullingpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #33
Commercial Member

[QUOTE=Dave_Monica;289361]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Wildcat View Post
I'm not saying that all jobs are under houred, but the major ones are. We just replaced both axles on a Crusader under warranty, and they allowed 6.5 hours...this included welding on the spring perches, replacing all springs and shackles, and aligning. Never, ever get it done in 6.5.../QUOTE]

Isn't this just the same as automotive warranty work? Certainly some job are under-houred but others or over-houred and in the end, it all balances out.

Dave
Yes, and no....

Yes, they use "canned jobs", but in cars, you deal with GM, Ford, Toyota, Chrysler, etc.

In RV's, you deal with Puma warranty, Prime Time Warranty, Cardinal warranty, Sprinter warranty, etc...not Keystone, not FR, not Jayco. All have their own divisions with their own warranty departments. Unfortunately, we as consumers pay the price for cutting work hours. Dealers make their money, they get it done in the time allowed whether it is truly done right or not.

Like I stated earlier, my dealership will work on anything, any brand, warranty or not. We are plenty big enough to deal with warranty clerks at the manufacturers. In fact, if we have trouble getting things approved, and they have a lot of claims, we drop the line of RV's. Privileges of being in business for over 57 years....
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #34

Interesting thread. Hope things work out for the OP. Sounds like they will.

We bought our motorhome from RVDirect. Wanted to buy at local dealer. Local dealer said they would match RVDirect's price. But when push came to shove they said no way would they sell a unit for that (thousands of dollars difference). The other advantage of RVDirect is they just had more inventory in terms of options, colors, etc. Local dealer said they would service the unit from RVDirect though including warranty work. Wondered how that would work out since they didn't match their price at the end of the day.

All that said, knew we were taking a risk on service. Figured the cost savings was so substantial, we could pay for some stuff out of pocket & still be ahead. Here's what we did that might help other folks buying non-local:

1) Call ahead. Ask politely, don't expect.

2) We personally don't go to the local dealer stocking the brand I bought (the one I tried working with to buy the unit). I go to the local dealer selling Forest River. Doesn't seem quite as in your face. Another option as someone suggested is a RV repair facility that isn't in the sales business.

3) I toss other business their way. I buy parts there. I paid to get winterized there. I have an appt in the spring to pay for an oil change & generator service there. Some of the dealer folks on this thread might scoff at this but it seems to me that I am at least in their system as a customer.

By the way, I am a big Forest River fan, but they do talk out of both sides of their mouth a little on this topic. On the one hand, they say buying local. But, at the same time, they ship A LOT of units to places like RVDirect & RVW knowing full well that some (most?) of those sales ultimately cross state lines.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #35
White River Powersports Dealership

I own a powersports dealership, and as a dealer, value each nickle opportunity that is available. We service everything, regardless of if it was bought from us or not. Our shop time gives first priority to our sold unit customers, and we charge everyone the same rate, however, we give our sold units customers a discount on their labor rate. Of course this doesn't apply to warranty work, but in Arkansas we are paid retail rates on labor and parts from the manufactures as part of a state law they are required to adhere to.
Mike Smith
powertrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #36
RVWholesalers Representative

Pullingpete,
Glad we were able to find someone local to you to get all your warranty concerns done. I am told you have an appointment and everything is set up. We will continue to follow up to make sure everything is smooth for you at the repair center. If you are not happy for any reason or concerned about anything please call me at once. You can reach me in the office at 877-877-4494. I am here to help and again thank you so much for your business! Everyone here at RVW is glad to assist you! Remember our Service Network is there for these exact reasons!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #37

Mr.Durnell
Thanks you for getting involved and providing your customers with continued support, I stopped in at the local dealer that will be performing the work and have a scheduled appointment!

One thing I would like to make clear from my experience this far
Out of state sales with RVW feel assured that are not a one way sale and the support dose not end once you get home !

Peter
Old 01-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #38

Pullingpete - just curious if this local dealer where you have an appointment is the same local dealer that told you no - or if it is a different local dealer altogether?
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #39

My local shop is in Lakeville Massachusetts
Old 01-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #40
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullingpete View Post
My local shop is in Lakeville Massachusetts
Rousseaus? The head service guy Dave is nice.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote