Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2015, 07:40 AM   #1

Looking at a Palomino Puma any feedback?

I'm looking at moving from a Rockwood Mini Lite to a Palomino Puma fifth wheel model 295bhs. It has the look layout and price I like. Does anyone have any feedback on a Puma fifth wheel? Are there features that you have found you can't live without? What about quality ( especially at the lower price point and understanding there are minor warranty issues that come up). Thanks
greti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:58 AM   #2
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by greti View Post
I'm looking at moving from a Rockwood Mini Lite to a Palomino Puma fifth wheel model 295bhs. It has the look layout and price I like. Does anyone have any feedback on a Puma fifth wheel? Are there features that you have found you can't live without? What about quality ( especially at the lower price point and understanding there are minor warranty issues that come up). Thanks
We had a 2013 puma 295kbh- now called the 295bhs.
Very well built. Had almost zero problems. Couple cabinets hard to open and little nuisance type things not anything that would ruin a weekend.
The main problem is not enough storage. Underbody storage boxes help alot and a bigger basement would be awsome.
2 a/c units would be ideal if you ever encounter any 90°+ days or are in direct sunlight.
You cant beat a puma for quality and amenities for the price point in my opinion. I've had pretty good luck with both my Palominos.
And I believe we payed $25k out the door for our puma 295kbh with a b&w companion hitch back in 2012. It only had 1 a/c but quite a few other options as we ordered ours.
Good luck shopping!!

Ps. Get a black tank flush installed or worked into the deal. Its a pain dragging a hose all the way thru the camper to that mid-bath to run a tank wash wand.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:22 AM   #3

We had a 2006 Puma and now a 2013 Puma only got the 2013 because we wanted a TH. Both 5th wheels are great trailers with few to no problems. The only issues we have had were cosmetic......... Personally I feel that Pumas are the best kept secrets of value for the $ in the RV industry.

The only draw back I see to them is that they are on the heavier side. Our RV tech at the dealer told us he sees less of them in for repair than any other make.

We would definitely by another if or when the time comes.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
We had a 2013 puma 295kbh- now called the 295bhs.
Very well built. Had almost zero problems. Couple cabinets hard to open and little nuisance type things not anything that would ruin a weekend.
The main problem is not enough storage. Underbody storage boxes help alot and a bigger basement would be awsome.
2 a/c units would be ideal if you ever encounter any 90°+ days or are in direct sunlight.
You cant beat a puma for quality and amenities for the price point in my opinion. I've had pretty good luck with both my Palominos.
And I believe we payed $25k out the door for our puma 295kbh with a b&w companion hitch back in 2012. It only had 1 a/c but quite a few other options as we ordered ours.
Good luck shopping!!

Ps. Get a black tank flush installed or worked into the deal. Its a pain dragging a hose all the way thru the camper to that mid-bath to run a tank wash wand.
X2 on the black tank flush we had ours added later....................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #5

Thanks to you both. I believe this one has the black tank flush so that's good. Another question is the bumper or ladder strong enough to carry a bike rack? I need space for bikes don't want them in camper this time. I have only seen pictures but not seen the unit in person and I can't yell what kind of storage there is. That's important!
greti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:10 AM   #6

Most Palomino owners feel that the quality is better than average, not perfect but very few problems if any. The only problem I had was a AC that wouldn't cool, but that was a Dometic problem, not Palomino. Bike rack? Check the bumper, you will probably see a sticker that says adding any non-factory items to the bumper will void the warranty.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:19 AM   #7
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by greti View Post
Thanks to you both. I believe this one has the black tank flush so that's good. Another question is the bumper or ladder strong enough to carry a bike rack? I need space for bikes don't want them in camper this time. I have only seen pictures but not seen the unit in person and I can't yell what kind of storage there is. That's important!
Specs online dont show if they still have the rear door on the 295bhss. They all use to have a rear door so you had a split rear bumper with the steps in the middle towards the lt side. That made the bumper a little stouter but also didn't leave much room with a spare tire mounted. I think we mounted a couple bikes on the rear ladder for a quick 30 mile or so trip. But i think i would just throw some army blankets down in the camper and put them in there.

For storage.....up front there is an area that is about 24-30" deep (door between landing gear under neck). Its ok, but with kids and needing chair, grill and toy space, as well as sewer and water hook up stuff it gets small quick. There is a little underbed storage under the master bed, and there use to be a outside door with access to storage under the wrap-around dinet....and that all helps, but i wanted more storage personally. Lipert makes sliding underbody storage but its pricey. I made my own on my sabre and it works great for fishing poles, water hookups etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1442762353213.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	89334  
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #8

We have a 2011 295kbh. We really like ours. We bought it two years used and well cared for. It is my first trailer and got kinda lucky I guess.
I have had a few problems with appliances/accessories, but none so far with FR.

Two well noted things... Not enough outside storage (plenty inside for me)and no 2nd a/c. I have not figured out if one can be added or not, but I haven't tried very hard to figure out. My gut says no. There is no skylight or fan in the front BR.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:54 PM   #9

We have a 2015 Puma 30FQSS bumper pull. This is our first RV and we are impressed with it. The only problem we have had are the drawers not opening easily. We had a FR ladder installed, have the prewiring for a 2nd A/C, 50 AMP power and power jacks. Our A/C does fine in hot weather.

I know you are looking at a fifth wheel but IMO the Puma is a great value.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:25 PM   #10

I've got a 2015 Puma Unleashed 351THSS toyhauler. From the garage door front it's the same floorplan, just I have a ~12' garage rather than ~9' bunkhouse. Outside storage is VERY limited. There is storage in the genny compartment up front, and under the dinette. I also use the battery compartment to store my freshwater hoses and accessories. Order the trailer with 50A service! Most everything with Puma is Ala carte, and I did not go 50A. Big mistake as the garage proved to be very tough to cool. I got lucky (I guess) and due to a pretty bad QC failure, Puma paid to upgrade the trailer to 50A, rewire it, and supply a second 15k a/c. I had to eat the labor for cutting the roof and installing the unit, about $600. Really like the trailer overall, but it is not perfect and there are build quality/ oversight, and craftsmanship issues. Most have been resolved to my satisfaction at this point. But it's had a handful of weeks at the dealer.

Lippert's frames are horrible in my opinion, but almost every RV has a Lippert frame and its tough to avoid them. The paint on it (frame) is garbage, every hole in the framerails is flame cut by someone who has never used a torch before, then they just weld a plate on top with a clean hole in it. Or cobble some junk together like they did under my front steps.

I also can't figure how my $4k dump trailer can have a nice sealed wiring harness, but a $32K camper has unsheathed wiring draped over crossmembers...............

All in all I still like the trailer. It's not a 100K toyhauler, but the dealer tech says either way they are still built with glue and staples. So I'm ok with it for what I paid.
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:23 PM   #11

We have a 09 259rbss and love it. Large holding tanks and able to use everything even when the slideout is in. We have had good luck with ours. Only thing I wish we had was a power awning.
El Dorado, Ks
dakotakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #12

On our 3rd Puma in 4.5 years from RVWholesalers. Very good value for the money, IMHO. If still available, I recommend the Premier package. Great looking color scheme, molded fiberglass front cap, aluminum wheels and solid surface counter tops are all great options IMHO. I highly recommend 50A with 2nd A/C. Take the spare off the rear bumper and place it under the rig on a BAL Hide-a-Spare. It's ~$100. Then use a swagman bike rack on the back that you mount the tires down into- not the type that hangs the bikes from the frame. The type I am speaking of allows you to hold the bikes firmly in place and allows no bounce- the bouncing is what breaks welds and rips bumpers off, IMO.

BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

BUMPER RACK 2 - Swagman
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:34 AM   #13

We purchased a well cared for 2011 Puma 29bhk this spring and we absolutely love it. We didn't get to use it a lot (18 nights), but we have had no problems! The outside kitchen is amazing. We have had a lot of people look at it and couldn't believe what we got under 18k.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:43 PM   #14

i wanted more storage personally. Lipert makes sliding underbody storage but its pricey. I made my own on my sabre and it works great for fishing poles, water hookups etc.[/QUOTE]

very cool storage
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:52 PM   #15

Take the spare off the rear bumper and place it under the rig on a BAL Hide-a-Spare. It's ~$100. Then use a swagman bike rack on the back that you mount the tires down into- not the type that hangs the bikes from the frame. The type I am speaking of allows you to hold the bikes firmly in place and allows no bounce- the bouncing is what breaks welds and rips bumpers off, IMO.

BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

BUMPER RACK 2 - Swagman[/QUOTE]

GREAT INFO.....THANK YOU FOR THE LINKS.......
TMFAULKSR
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:27 PM   #16

Love mine, and not looking at others. Minor enhancements help. Just care of her
greyhumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
palomino, puma