Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2017, 02:48 PM   #1

Modifying rear slide outside kitchen to make toy hauler questions.

Looking at buying 2013 columbus 385 and seems i can modify the outside kitchen to be able to load quad. It has a big hatch covering the kitchen, so if I remove the kitchen componets and cut out the rear wall, with slide in, put quad ramp up on slide edge and put quad in. Dont want outside kitchen. I understand that the slides will not be extended while quad inside. The weight of quad on slides it too much, but while slides are in, should be ok? Any technicans out there who know how slides are built remark on this idea? I want a crossover fifth wheel but cannot find one this nice at this price and am capable of doing modifications. Thks for your input.
Attached Images

tttddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:24 PM   #2

I don't know about the feasibility of actually getting the quad in there, my concern is putting that much weight that far to the rear of a trailer that is likely not designed for it. Not only concerned about the structural integrity but you may also have a bad affect on the balance of the trailer. Depends on the weight of the quad, of course.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:34 PM   #3

hauling quad in rear.

Quad weighs @ 400 lbs. Toyhaulers have usually a third axle to carry the weight, but this is for a toyhauler, which can carry 4 quads+. So with my 2 axle setup, ill get load G tires, which are rated at 4k lbs each. That should get me a nice safety margin hauling the quad. Frame on trailer same as toyhaulers so thats not an issue. But main ? is, when i put quad in trailer, its sitting on the floors of drivers side and pass side slides...is this ok?
Old 11-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #4

I don't know how the slides in your trailer sit when they are in. Mine sit a few inches off the floor because of the track system they have and they would not be safe to have that much weight on them.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:10 PM   #5

If you feel comfortable with the axle weight rating, bearings, and brakes being able to handle the modification then rest easy. I would not until you can verify those 3 things first. Then realize a DIY mod including removing a wall and then incurring any damage to your slide drive system might make it inoperable after multiple uses. It really comes down to a risk assessment. If it fails you will be left with something you may not be able to trade, or sell in the future. Also know that if it is a cause of an accident your insurance may not cover it.

The wall structure and gate area on all toy haulers are beefed up. Your outdoor kitchen is not capable of a loading ramp modification without structural mods. If you want a toy hauler, buy/trade for one.
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:05 PM   #6

Slide out floors are actually stronger out than in, because they are supported by the main floor. When retracted they sit above the main floor with an air gap. And the gap may vary side to side and front to back. You would need to be able to slide filler strips under the slide out floors while retracted. Probably not practical. Also the access door frame will not be strong enough to support the quad while loading and you will likely damage the wall to floor integrity and the slide mechanism as well. The main box beam underneath is just a thin wall aluminum tube. Scrap the idea.
larrytbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:49 PM   #7

ok thks for all the info...just bought a raptor with the 1/2 hatch/ramp in rear - modifying is not a good idea, bad for resale.

Tags
rear slide out, slide, slide out, toy hauler