Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #1

Motion sick

Just got our Columbus 365RL today and actually made it home and set it up. We have the 6 point leveling system and set the auto leveler on. Everything appeared O.K. And it appeared to be level. After a short while, we started noticing, as we were sitting in the living room, the camper had some motion, such as on a ship......

We reactivated the leveling system and again it stated it was level, which it appeared to be. The motion continued, to the point of me becoming nauseated. I have camped before and never experienced this.

Unfortunately, not sleeping in the camper until a remedy can be found.

Any suggestions from you experts out there.

2retiredandready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Anyone? Please help.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #3

Get a set of X-Chocks or one of the similar products from another manufacturer. They lock the wheels together and greatly reduce the motion. BAL 28012 X-Chock Tire Locking Chock : Amazon.com : Automotive

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:12 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Imo yo u need to buy some stabilizes such as bal or steady fast.
Triangulation is your key to stabilization.
Look in my profile albums at mine.
Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2retiredandready View Post
Just got our Columbus 365RL today and actually made it home and set it up. We have the 6 point leveling system and set the auto leveler on. Everything appeared O.K. And it appeared to be level. After a short while, we started noticing, as we were sitting in the living room, the camper had some motion, such as on a ship......

We reactivated the leveling system and again it stated it was level, which it appeared to be. The motion continued, to the point of me becoming nauseated. I have camped before and never experienced this.

So is the leveling system moving the trailer, or is it movement from walking around in the trailer?
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri

So is the leveling system moving the trailer, or is it movement from walking around in the trailer?
Yes, it is moving the trailer. The movement comes when we walk near the rear of the camper. The six point leveling system has two in the front , two in front of the first axle, and two right behind the rear axle. There is no support near the rear where the movement occurs.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo
Imo yo u need to buy some stabilizes such as bal or steady fast.
Triangulation is your key to stabilization.
Look in my profile albums at mine.
Ron
Don' t think triangulation will work because there is no stabilization near the rear of the camper. The last set of stabilizers are right behind the second axle. It's swaying not rocking.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2retiredandready

Thanks to everyone who is sending technical advice. As newbies to camper ownership, greatly appreciated. We hope to take her out soon.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
Always Learning

Look into products like JT's Strong Arms (don't go with the knock-off Ultrafab Eliminators - I just don't feel like they're doing the job) or the Steadyfast product. That and get a pair of Rotochoks for between the wheels. All told, it'll set you back a few hundred dollars, but it helps.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #10

I know what you mean, as I am also very sensitive to motion.
It would appear that the main problem is the lack of support at the rear of your camper. If it were my unit, I would probably add some manual jacks at the back, and also put a stabilizing bar across from the top of one jack to the foot of the other. That would eliminate a lot of the sway you are feeling.
We started out by fabricating a full set of stabilizers for the front legs, with both side-to-side and front-to-rear bars. We added the wheel X-cocks, but they didn't provide much additional stabilization. I haven't yet added the rear stabilizer, but it is on the 'to do' list.

I am surprised that on such a nice camper as yours, they would use such an inadequate system.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #11

Make sure your rear jacks (behind the axles) are actually touching the ground. The levelers, when fully extended barely reach the ground on mine. I noticed once it said it was level and one of the levelers wasn't even touching the ground. Put a few blocks under each leveler and try again. If that doesn't work I would take it back to the dealer. It's unfortunate but this leveling system is kinda pointless with the Columbus.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyJunk
Make sure your rear jacks (behind the axles) are actually touching the ground. The levelers, when fully extended barely reach the ground on mine. I noticed once it said it was level and one of the levelers wasn't even touching the ground. Put a few blocks under each leveler and try again. If that doesn't work I would take it back to the dealer. It's unfortunate but this leveling system is kinda pointless with the Columbus.
Thanks for the advice..... We had place blocks under the levelers and tried to see if it got rid of the swaying ... Still at sea on land... Our service person has a call to the Columbus rep. We're sure they will come up with a solution so we can head out with our camper. Thanks again.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #13

I am having a set of JT Strong Arm stabilizers installed at this very moment. When I get my trailer back, I'll let ya'll know how they work.
I have determined that the right side slide is very heavy and contributes to the movement. I have considered installing a couple of slide stabilizers on that side to reduce the movement.
I'll wait, though, until I try the JT's.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
I am having a set of JT Strong Arm stabilizers installed at this very moment. When I get my trailer back, I'll let ya'll know how they work.
I have determined that the right side slide is very heavy and contributes to the movement. I have considered installing a couple of slide stabilizers on that side to reduce the movement.
I'll wait, though, until I try the JT's.
By "slide stabilizers" do you mean something to put under the slide itself? That might help a bit, but you cannot put any weight on them, as that would push the slide away from its seal to the camper wall.
The StrongArm stablizers will help a lot. Are you getting them put ont he back as well?
Old 08-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #15

Quote:
By "slide stabilizers" do you mean something to put under the slide itself? That might help a bit, but you cannot put any weight on them, as that would push the slide away from its seal to the camper wall.
The StrongArm stablizers will help a lot. Are you getting them put ont he back as well?
I was looking at the slide stabilizers at Camping World and I thought the same thing you mentioned, and I would be concerned that the slide would lift off of the gear rack. I was going to check with other people that use them and see how they work for them.
As for the JT's, they're being installed just as they are at the factory, welded to the frame; 4 in the front and 2 in the rear. I couldn't beat the price so I'm hoping they do their job. It would make DW very happy.... and you know, if momma ain't happy, nobody's happy.
I also have used a tri[pod under the pin. It helps when in the bedroom, but not the rest of the trailer.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #16

We have the stabilzer arms on the front landing gear of our fifth, and they help immensely. But we don't have them on the back, yet, and we still get some wiggling back there. I'll bet that with the full set on your camper, it will be pretty darn solid.
We added a set of X-chocks for the wheels, but really didn't notice much change with them. I think the front stablizers were stopping the fornt-to-back movement already.
So now we just have a jiggly rear end!