Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #21

Second A/C has been the BEST investment I've made EVER on a camper. I'd recommend it to anyone that uses their camper more than a few weekends a year. Having the larger water heater is great too!
SabreBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #22

A couple of you said go with self leveling. If six way is offered on the 320 should I get it or will four way leveling suffice. Thanks We are going camping for thanksgiving and will order from the dealer near our camping property on Friday if everything goes as planned (wife doesn't change her mind). Again I appreciate everyone taking the time give advice. Have a happy thanksgiving!
Welsh2722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #23

We have the 320RS with the 4 way level up and it works just fine. I do not know if the 6 way would be any different on the 320. I would probably go with the 6 Way if I was going with the larger unit such as the 36 or 38 Columbus.
1jeb289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #24

We have the 6 way on our 320 and it works great, that and the JT Strongarms make it real stable.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh2722
We are planning to place an order for a 320 rs Columbus fifth wheel. What options do you feel are a must and which could you do without. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We plan to do some winter camping, but not sure if heated tanks are standard or an option. The options we are considering are second air, leather couch, queen bed, washer dryer and double pain windows. Since this is our first fifth wheel, I am not sure about towing options. Again any advice would be greatly appreciated and I promise to keep you updated and submit pictures.
We have all the options. I would even get an inverter system incase you lose power. We dry camp so a generator or inverter is a plus. The 6 way leveler is a plus and the trail aire hitch.We have the washer and dryer but haven't stayed out where we have needed it due to local facilities. An automatic satellite receiver would be a nice addition also.
Cuttinchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS
I am always looking for new ideas. I can't find any info on JT strongarm stabilizers. Do they have another name?
Just rv stabilizers will work. Google it you will see what they are
Old 11-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #27

Welsh, i went through the same thing, what to order? what comes standard? it's a great adventure! The Columbus unit is awesome and you can't go wrong. My recomendations are......... the 6 way auto leveling system (its by Lippert check it out on you tube) the JT strong arm system is great. with those two you will not need the tripod any longer. The dual pane windows are great, the Trump mattress is a must in my mind. I also ordered the slide toppers for the first time and i'm glad i did, the electric fireplace has been reallt nice in the fall for a little heat in the living room. Well, good luck it's a great unit and you can't go wrong!
2009 Silverado 2500HD
drinkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #28

Headed to the dealer in the morning. I will let you know how it goes. Did not know about the mattress option Thanks!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #29
Travelin Man

good luck with the purchase, when you pick up the trailer in a couple of months have them weigh it so you know how much it weighs empty. then weigh it after it is fully loaded, and you will be surprised how much stuff you put in there.
we always overloaded on clothes and food, then just figured out what we really needed and cut it way down after a couple of trips. we probably dropped out at least 400 pds of stuff or more. and we do a lot of boondocking in the desert of AZ in the winter, we just figured we didnt need all that stuff and we get along fine without it.
I dont know if you can get the better tank sensors put on, the ones that mount on the outside of the tanks, but they would be a great option I wish I had. they dont get corroded or messed up with stuff so they work all the time.
I dont understand why the rv industry keeps putting things on rigs that dont work after a short time, such as tank sensors.
Douglasdh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #30
Travelin Man

I almost forgot, we have 2 lazy boy recliners that came with our Wildcat Sterling, they have heater, massagers built in, best chairs we have ever had in a 5th wheel. dont know if you can get them but well worth it.
Douglasdh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:41 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS View Post
I am always looking for new ideas. I can't find any info on JT strongarm stabilizers. Do they have another name?
These are the optional stablizers. I do not have my 320 yet, but I did install them on my TT and they made a big difference. I ordered them on the 320.

As for your initial question on options, once again I havent received the new one yet but here is what I ordered and why.

Front a/c - My current TT is 33' long, and one a/c didnt cut it
Fireplace - ambiance and electric heat output so as not to use propane
Mattress upgrade - no brainer
6 way stabilizers - from what I read on the forum it works great
Bike rack - personal preference - I will probably use it more for other stuff, like firewood
dual pane windows - since I am in the HVAC business now, I know it will help in cold and hot weather to reduce load
Fantastic fans - ordered them both in bathroom and kitchen. If I am thinking correctly, they should help with heat
Slide toppers - to keep dirt and limbs off of the slides
bedroom tv - why not

I hope this helps, most of it is personal preference, but reading the thread helps a lot. Good luck, hoping to pick mine up early next week.
2013 Columbus 320RS
Maryland
Times camping in 2013 - 5
Sporoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #32

Well we went to the dealer who said they would be open today(1.5) hour drive up. All Columbus's sold. Looked through other trailers and wife and I still agree in Columbus. So we bite the bullet and decide to order and we are told one loaded is coming in. I asked which options and he said the guy who knows is not working and he is the same guy does the ordering. So nothing was accomplished today. My wife is on the Internet looking at used 😁. I'm still confident we will buy a Columbus. I will keep you posted.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #33

Spoke to the dealer yesterday. Says he can change a unit he ordered to add/subtract from our wish list. Goes into production on the forth. I appreciate all the comments. I will let you know how things go.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #34

With all of these options added is the weight still in the range of the Chevy/GMC 2500HD trucks?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #35

I was told the leather couch does not match theater seating. Dual pane windows are a $1600 option and only an increase in one R value. Heat pump only works into the 40's and the bedroom should not need a fantastic fan because the ac has a fan in it. Also told the stabilizers are not needed if you have the six way level. Any thoughts?
Old 11-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh2722 View Post
I was told the leather couch does not match theater seating. Dual pane windows are a $1600 option and only an increase in one R value. Heat pump only works into the 40's and the bedroom should not need a fantastic fan because the ac has a fan in it. Also told the stabilizers are not needed if you have the six way level. Any thoughts?
I can't tell you about the leather couch, didn't order it.
Who told you the double pane windows add 1 in R value? The advantage of the double pane windows is not the R rating, but what the difference is between them and single pane. Look at it this way, you are doubling the glass, and adding gas in between, usually argon, which adds as an insulator. In addition, you are adding uv blockage.
The heatpump should work into the 30's, but it depends on how it is set up, whether it has a strip or not. I didnt order the HP because of the additional height, but I can see the advantages, i.e., less propane usage.
I was told the 6 way levelers are not stabilizers. I am sure they will help, but not completely. Have to ask someone who has them. I did order the stabilizers.

Hope that helps
2013 Columbus 320RS
Maryland
Old 11-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
With all of these options added is the weight still in the range of the Chevy/GMC 2500HD trucks?
You should not have a problem. I ordered just about everything and I will still be fine. I dont plan on adding 3000 lbs of "stuff".
2013 Columbus 320RS
Maryland
Old 11-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporoo
I can't tell you about the leather couch, didn't order it.
Who told you the double pane windows add 1 in R value? The advantage of the double pane windows is not the R rating, but what the difference is between them and single pane. Look at it this way, you are doubling the glass, and adding gas in between, usually argon, which adds as an insulator. In addition, you are adding uv blockage.
The heatpump should work into the 30's, but it depends on how it is set up, whether it has a strip or not. I didnt order the HP because of the additional height, but I can see the advantages, i.e., less propane usage.
I was told the 6 way levelers are not stabilizers. I am sure they will help, but not completely. Have to ask someone who has them. I did order the stabilizers.

Hope that helps
I have the 6 way and added the stabilizers and what a difference it made. Trust me it makes a difference
Old 11-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #39
Commercial Member

FYI the dual pane windows in RV's are NOT thermo pane windows.

There is no argon or other inert gas between the panes.

The benefit to dual pane windows in RV's is that they are quieter, and the do not condensate like single pane windows. No significant R value difference....
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #40

Thanks for the input. Another quick question on the 320rs. I am 6'5", if I move the island will I bang my head in the pendant lamps.