Old 09-15-2020, 02:49 PM   #1

Need to vent

Just had my 2014 Sabre state inspected. At the four year mark I had the dealer I bought from, do the last service I let them do. They did state inspection and check wheel bearings. They over filled it and blew out grease seals and got gobs of grease on the brakes. I didnt know it happened. Someone else inspected it last year and they didn't notice (or didn'tlook). Today a real good mechanic inspected it found all this and found my rear driverside brake had never been attached to the wiring. So glad for the new mechanic. So angry with factory and the dealer. Wish I was able to do this work myself. Being old sucks.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:13 PM   #2

I feel your pain. Fortunately, I can still do my own work. I hope when I'm old I can find some young buck to do the work while I watch and direct. Still better than paying a shop.
AlanMoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:24 PM   #3

I too am old, 80 years and going strong. I still do some work myself but let experts do the heavy stuff. Just need a new bod and brain and I'd be dangerous.
kjlars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlars View Post
I too am old, 80 years and going strong. I still do some work myself but let experts do the heavy stuff. Just need a new bod and brain and I'd be dangerous.
I'm just two years behind you. I do almost all the work on my TT myself. The heavy stuff just takes longer

I've seen a lot of younger bodies but sadly they look in worse shape than mine.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:51 PM   #5
Herschel

Roger that. 76 y/o and still going strong, but, alas, not skilled in mechanical things very much. Good with dicor roof sealant, POR15 rust preventative paint and such, though, so I can do some stuff myself. With the COVID19 and the need to lay low to protect my wife, I have started using a mobile RV tech to do stuff I am not able or skilled to do. I have used them in situations on the road, but I have found them good for use at home, too. You pay a trip charge, but the hourly rate is the same, and you can stand their and watch as much as you want and ask questions and learn stuff.
Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:48 PM   #6

Quote:
I have started using a mobile RV tech to do stuff I am not able or skilled to do. I have used them in situations on the road, but I have found them good for use at home, too. You pay a trip charge, but the hourly rate is the same, and you can stand their and watch as much as you want and ask questions and learn stuff.
This information is some of the most valuable information I have read on the forum in years...

thanks for posting this and maybe others can learn from your experience...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:57 AM   #7

Good service tech for any needs are like "Gold", had to replace a awning, our fault left out overnight in rainstorm just tired a went to bed. We found a local RV repair and they were great and will be my goto for yearly maint and repairs. Here is a link he is just off I-75 exit 170 Port Charlotte FL RV Repair Center, Mobile RV Repair, RV Repair- GA
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:30 AM   #8
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I'm just two years behind you. I do almost all the work on my TT myself. The heavy stuff just takes longer

I've seen a lot of younger bodies but sadly they look in worse shape than mine.
Ditto that - I'm about to turn 71 and am still in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in. I greased the bearings in our fifth wheel recently, replaced a brake and hub (with the brake and hub provided by Forest River because of a problem...out of warranty, but they provided parts for the repair) - and still do the wash/wax on my rig. Gotta do something to stay young during these days of limited travel.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Cardinal 3456RLX - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 - 2019: 955 ~ Nights Camping 2020: 5 (Slowed a bit due to wife's knee replacement and then COVID-19)
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent