Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2019, 08:13 PM   #1

New purchase advice

Hello folks,
I bought what I thought was a gently used 2018 Columbus 383FB fifth wheel. During my walk with vendor I noted some small issues and noted a slight area with water damage to trim molding area. The vendor stated a window broke out and they replaced so that was the cause for water damage. Well the vendor promised to fix my noted issues and held my camper for about 3 weeks to fix. I got the camper last week and used it over this weekend. That’s when the trouble started...after washing dishes my wife went outside, she notice a stream of water pouring out from under camper. This worried her and she started looking for more leaks and found one in the bathroom also. Now 3 leaks. I had custody of camper for less than 2 weeks.

Now the back story. I found a name and contact number inside the camper of previous owner. I called him and he stated he had taken the camper to South Dakota and had frozen pipes etc. he also stated he had leaks prior and that the vendor was well aware of the issues and water damage from leaks etc.
Now for my advice, I don’t have confidence to keep the camper. What are my options from anyone who has a similar problem. The vendor is a large rv dealership.
JimTracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:18 PM   #2

why was the damage not found on a walk through before buying? Don't think a dealer is going to warranty a used unit. My guess is you will be fixing and moving on, or selling to someone else who wont do a good inspection.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:21 PM   #3
Scoundrel

We all hate reading stories like this. Sorry for the troubles you're having with your new-to-you camper. I'm not a legal expert but I think your issue has little to do with the fifth wheel but everything to do with full disclosure laws in the state where you made the purchase. I would try and learn as much as possible about that, and then approach the RV dealership owner with the information that you found out from the previous owner as a place to start.

Others with more helpful information are sure to contribute.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:31 PM   #4
Site Team

The are a lot of should of, could of, would of, things here, but since you bought it, I would contact the dealer management and let them know you have spoken to the previous owner and are aware that the dealership was aware of the issues when they sold it to you and covered it up.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:32 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Best to remove the dispute from here as Social Media is not the best Mediation source.

I would as that all PEX plumbing, water pump and facets replaced.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:49 PM   #6

My initial thought is that you cannot get the previous owner in this at all. He called and acknowledged problems.

Now, it's up to the selling dealer and you to make it right. Find and save all the advertisements and paperwork for the trailer YOU purchased. Being a used trailer and, if there is a warranty, the dealer needs to address it.

If it's a used trailer and you purchased it "as is" it's all on you. I hate to say it but you successfully purchased another persons problem.

Sorry to be so blunt but you need to find the right party to pursue on this.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #7

Thank you all for the comments. Very insightful and I will address and look towards a new camper from dealership. Couple of things on my end may assist me in my case. I video taped my walk and asked specific questions about any issues I noted. I also documented all major conversations by emailing the dealership on those items prior to picking up. I will let you all know of how this turns out in a few days. My goal is to get a new camper without any losses on my end. Wish me luck

Also someone asked how could I have missed this item. The camper was not plumbed at time during walk so I wasn’t aware of the leaks. Again thanks for the insights.
JimTracy is offline   Reply With Quote