Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #1

New Sandpiper 320RL

We picked up our new 2013 320RL yesterday and during the PDI we discovered that the information in the Forest River brochure and on the web site were incorrect for the gray water storage capacity. Listed was 54 black and 108 gray while actual is 54 for both black and gray. The dealer talked to the regional rep who talked to the engineers at Forest River to verify that the information listed was incorrect. This was a very tense time since these capacities were a factor in our final decision for the type of camping we do. The GM for the dealer and Forest River talked several times to come up with a resolution acceptable to us. I think the dealer was caught off guard by all this also and really tried to represent out interest.

We are looking forward to enjoying our camper for years to come as we are getting this behind us and moving forward. I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who post here for the information we have garnered form the various forums.

One thing we did learn rather quickly is that there is no battery cutoff switch. You have to disconnect the battery terminal. I will be changing this pretty quick. Also, the extra four feet in length over our last 5th wheel make parking in our storage lot interesting.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #2

Are you sure your unit doesn’t have two gray water tanks of 54 gallons each which combined makes 108 gallons. That would be one gray water tank for the shower/bath and one gray water tank for the kitchen.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #3

That's what I thought it had but there are only two dump handles and no other handle under the camper. This was what started the discussion during the PDI and was confirmed by Forest River engineers. Two handles and two tanks even though the monitoring system has three level indicators. No good explanation for that.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #4

Welcome and congrats on your 2013 Sandpiper 320RL. Good to hear there was an acceptable resolution .
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #5

I find it incredulous that your Sandpiper only has one 54 gallon gray tank. Are you sure your dealer talked to Sandpiper reps and isn’t just feeding you a BS story? It does happen.

My old Wildcat had two dump handles in the front for black and gray and a third dump handle for kitchen gray at the very rear of the trailer. Did you look under the Sandpiper front to back looking for another handle? Sometimes the handles are hard to see/find.

My other thought is that you have two gray water tanks plumbed into one common dump valve. If it were me I’d be on the phone to Forest River and ask to talk to someone familiar with the Sandpiper/Sierra product to verify your trailer really only has one gray tank.

If you don’t mind my asking, what was the acceptable resolution you came to with your dealer?

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
That's what I thought it had but there are only two dump handles and no other handle under the camper. This was what started the discussion during the PDI and was confirmed by Forest River engineers. Two handles and two tanks even though the monitoring system has three level indicators. No good explanation for that.
Is there an indicated level in the monitor for both gray tanks? Sandpiper would be using the same panel for all models.

If there is an indicated level in both and no separate second hook up, the two gray tanks must be piped together.

I'm with Oakman...I find it very difficult to believe that there's only one gray tank.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #7

My two tanks are plumbed together. It takes a while for them to drain, I'm guessing because of this design.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #8

I'll try and answer the questions as best I can. I looked under the camper and don't see any other handle and the tech said he crawled all under it looking for another handle and did not find one. I know the dealer talked to Forest River because we were there for one of the conversations until things got a little heated and we stepped out. As for the resolution Forest River agreed to pay for a tote of our choice, installed underbelly storage with storage on both sides of camper, a grab handle by steps in camper and couple of small items from the store.
We plan to take the camper to our property next weekend and I plan to fill the tanks, before we use anything, from shower and kitchen then measure the amount that comes out when dumping. This should tell me for sure how much it will hold. I'll check the monitor during this process also.
I asked the question about two tanks plumbed together and was told only one tank but we'll see when I fill everything and measure the dump.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #9

If they are like mine, which I suspect they are, they will both fill from the kitchen. My tanks together hold just over 60 gallons. What I did to prove two tanks to myself was turn on the kitchen faucet and measured the flow rate time for a gallon. I then left the kitchen faucet on for enough time for about 50 gallons, while watching the shower drain for any backup. I was convinced. You could do the same for 75 gallons and save yourself from measuring outflow.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote