Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #1

New Solaire 28qbss delivery

I'm scheduled to take delivery of my Solaire tomorrow. During the inspection what should I be looking for and what questions should I ask.
Tom.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
RV Enthusiast since 1978

Hi Tom;

Here's a few quick points regarding your inspection:

-look the entire unit over, top to bottom , inside and out. Take your time and make sure your dealer notes the issues you come across for correction and or adjustment.
-inspect the roof carefully, especially all seams and joints that are caulked, they missed some around my bath skylight that caused a leak , every screw should have lap sealant covering it.
-review the slideout operation and have the dealer show you how to manually override in the event of a failure (very important to know )
-thorough review and try of all components / appliances including the plumbing system and holding tanks every model is slightly different ie, location, capacity, bypass valves etc.
-inspect the filon fiberglass exterior walls to be without any noticeable blemishes or bubbles. (small / slight imperfections are normal for vacuum formed / rolled walls)
-lastly inspect all trim and finishing of wood work and cabinetry as the QC inspection sometimes misses trim that is loose are not adhering properly.

All the best with your inspection and happy travels with your new Solaire!

Lou

.....the big rolling turd II is back in the driveway for another season of travels!

Glendale 290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
RV Enthusiast since 1978

Tom;

One last point.... check the condition of all slideout seals inside and out. On the inside ours were frayed on one side because they were not installed properly and the motor was chewing on it. Run the slide in and out a few times to ensure that the seals are not binding in the gears of the motors (one motor on top of each side)

Lou

.....the big rolling turd II is back in the driveway for another season of travels!

Old 10-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.a View Post
I'm scheduled to take delivery of my Solaire tomorrow. During the inspection what should I be looking for and what questions should I ask.
This may be late, but on the FRF website, on the green bar near the top is a link to the Library. In the library is a PDI Checklist that is impressive exhaustive. Try taking that with you.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #5

Thanks great advice I really appreciate it. I pick it up today at 3. I'll make sure I print the checklist and use all the tips you guys posted.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendale 290 View Post
Tom;

One last point.... check the condition of all slideout seals inside and out. On the inside ours were frayed on one side because they were not installed properly and the motor was chewing on it. Run the slide in and out a few times to ensure that the seals are not binding in the gears of the motors (one motor on top of each side)

Lou
At least two of our interior seals are doing the same exact thing. Just took delivery two weeks ago. We will be going back to the dealer to get this fixed.
campingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:08 AM   #7

The delivery went great. My rig was in really good shape. Only one thing was wrong a small brace for the dinette table was missing. The dealership fixed it on the spot. Thanks again for all the tips.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
RV Enthusiast since 1978

Hi Tom;

That's great news that your delivery went well and you only had that small of an issue. Hopefully you are in an area where you can still get out and camp and give your unit a good shake down to ensure that everything is working well. All the campgrounds here are closed for the winter.

Happy Camping!

Lou

Old 10-31-2013, 09:09 AM   #9

Here in New Mexico we probably have about a month left in the season. I'm taking to a local KOA this Saturday to make sure everything is working ok.