Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #1

New table for Solaire?

While on an extended stay, I noticed that the dinette table in my Solaire seemed to be slanted toward the rear. When I accidentally leaned on it one day trying to reach the shade on the rear window, it tilted even further, allowing everything on it to slide off onto the seat. When I checked, I found that the screws holding the leg brackets on the floor had pulled out. Further inspection showed that the wood screws holding the bracket are only about 1/2" long. Most were pulled completely out! I put all the screws back in but turned both brackets just a bit so the screws were between the original screw holes. It still leans a bit toward the rear, and I'm afraid to lean on the table because it doesn't seem really stable. I'm looking for a solution.

I thought of replacing the original screws with longer screws to increase stability. However, the dinette is in the slide & I don't know how thick the flooring is. Not sure if I can use longer screws without possibly damaging something. Anyone have any info on that?

Second thought is to replace the table with a freestanding model - but with folding legs so it could be removed & stored. I'd probably want to keep the original table top somewhere in the camper in case I ever need to convert the dinette to a bed. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Third thought is to keep the original table top (which I really like) but add some type of folding legs that wouldn't need to be bolted down. Any comments/suggestions?

Anyone have any other possible solutions?

If you're not familiar with the table in the Solaire, here's a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01131b.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	178977  

Molly, my camping cockapoo, crossed the Rainbow Bridge in May 2020. She was almost 18. Still miss her.
My new companion is Maggie, a maltipoo. She was a year old in April.
AMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:19 PM   #2

Had the same issue on the small table in my bunkhouse on my 292QBSK. I just put wider screws and some wood glue into the same holes on the brackets. Seems to be holding up well.
ahoshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:07 PM   #3

I thought of longer screws as I mentioned, but not wider screws. That might be an option. Thanks for the info.

I've also considered getting a couple pieces of PVC pipe the same length as the legs & attaching those as extra legs on the back (and maybe the front) for more stability. It'll be about a month before I get back to the camper so I have time to consider. Thanks again.

Molly, my camping cockapoo, crossed the Rainbow Bridge in May 2020. She was almost 18. Still miss her.
My new companion is Maggie, a maltipoo. She was a year old in April.
AMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMarrs View Post
I thought of longer screws as I mentioned, but not wider screws. That might be an option. Thanks for the info.

I've also considered getting a couple pieces of PVC pipe the same length as the legs & attaching those as extra legs on the back (and maybe the front) for more stability. It'll be about a month before I get back to the camper so I have time to consider. Thanks again.
What did you end up doing?
ahoshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:44 PM   #5

Do not put longer screws. The previous owner of our puma put longer screws and when they brought the slide in and out it ripped the vinyl flooring and the plywood underneath. On suggestion is to cut a 3/4” plywood the 1/4” larger than the diameter of the base cut the carpet enough to slide it in glue it and put two screws in it just long enough to hold in place until the glue dries. Then put the base back on predrill holes and screw it to the new plywood. It will only make it 3/4” higher no one will notice.
GuyBonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:46 PM   #6

You could use the original top and put folding legs on it. Then it would be available for use to make the dinette into a bed.