Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #1

Newbie: Dump tanks and a leaky water pipe

Hi there,

Just joined this forum, hopefully I will be able to contribute as well as take advice from you guys!

Im new to 5th wheel camping, myself and my wife just got a 2007 Sabre 30RES, its in very good shape but there is always room for improvements! We also have a 2003 Silverado 2500HD to tow with. Were in the UK where 5th wheels are not that common, although there are a number fo dealers now springing up and at least one manufacturer too, so I think it will get more popular in the near future.

OK, onto my reason for posting. We just had our first weekend away with the setup, was a great experience and we thoroughly enjoyed getting used to everything and having a real 'home from home'.

Just as we were about to leave I noticed that the bathroom sink had some water in it even though the plug was pulled. Similary the shower had some water remaining. I assumed the grey tank needed emptying so i did that, but it didnt cure the problem. Next I filled the bathroom sink with water and pulled the plug - it mostly went into the shower base... So now I figure there is a blockage somewhere in the pipe which connects the shower and sink drains (can be seen from the pass through locker). I broke the seal on one of these pipes to drain away the water and get access to the pipe but then we had to leave (had to get back for my wife to go to work). Trailer is still at the campsite. I couldnt see where this pipe went down into. It disappears through the floor of the pass through locker but I couldnt see where to. Is that where the grey tank is situated? Or is there a 90 degree fitting and the tank is actually further rearwards?

Does anyone have any schematics for the plumbing on this model they could share? I was going to feed a garden hose into the pipe and see if I could dislodge the blockage but Id like to get a feel for how much hose it will take to reach the tank.

One other thing which came to mind - does this unit have 2 grey tanks?... I could only find one valve handle for grey but it is labelled 'Grey tank #1', which makes me think there is a second grey tank too - can anyone confirm that?

Second issue I have is that when the water heater is on for more than 10 minutes there is a leak developing at one of the joints close by (the T piece which feeds the water heater cold inlet, then T's off to the water pump). Im on city hook up but dont have leaks at any other time so I think the inlet pressure is OK. Why would the cold water feed leak when the tank gets hot?...

Thanks in advance for any help you can give! Like I say, I hope to help someone in return in the future.
Cheers,
Simon
Maverick355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Don't have your model, but I would guess you also have another grey tank. As for the leak, just tighten the fitting. The city water pressure is probably a little higher than what your onboard pump can furnish.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #3

On our Sabre model the grey tanks are just below where the drains go thru the basement floor. So it does sound like you have a pretty tight plug going on in there somewhere.

In our model Tank#1 is for the shower and Bathroom sink and Tank 2 is for the Kitchen sink.

Considering how far apart the kitchen sink is from the bath in your floorplan, I'd think there would be 2 tanks as well, but you never know. If you do have 2 tanks, than you should have 2 handles and 2 level gauges. There may even be a second dump hose port.

btw...You might want to check with SabreSam on the #2 Ask the Sabre&Silhouette Factory Rep. Post. He is the Sabre Factory Rep who hangs out here. I think your floorplan was retired a while back, but he may still be able to get you some documetation or at least answer your questions.

btw...I'm curious to see where u camp in the UK. Can u post some campground links??
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #4

Thanks for the info guys!

I got a message directly to Palomino and a chap called Gary Grigsby mailed me back saying there are two tanks and that most likely one of the handles has broken off... I will have to investigate that when we return to the trailer (its 150 miles away, which is why I was trying to get info before I go back to it). If the pull rod has broken off I guess I will still be able to open it with a wrench of some sort until I can get it sorted. Worst case is we have to use the campsite showers for a while - no big deal really.

I will replace the seal in the water fitting that is leaking close to the heater and see if that seals it up. Think Im going to get a pressure regulator too.

Regarding campsites in the UK, I havent been to many (yet!). The one we are on at the moment is www.tattershall-lakes.com and we like it a lot (especially as there is a Royal Air Force base on the other side of the lakes, where they house / fly Spitfires, Hurricanes, Lancaster bombers and Dakotas as part of the Battle of Britain Memorial).

Another site we are going to next year is www.billingaquadrome.com which has some great reviews (and is only a few miles from our main drag strip, Santa Pod Raceway, more of a bonus for me than my wife!).

Most of the sites in the UK wouldnt be big enough for American RVs, but a couple of long time RVers have brought out a publication which details all the sites that can take A class, 5th wheels etc so thats a good reference for us to use www.the-big-pitch-guide.com . Almost everyone who sees our 5er has the same negative comment "where are you going to take that?!?" but there are plenty of places it seems!

Simon
Old 10-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #5

Maverick355;

Thanks for the intersesting CG info. We have a favorite campground in northern Michigan that is also ajacent to an air field. If we are able to hit it during the cherry festival , we would see B-17s and P-51 mustangs flying over as well as the USN Blue Angels.

btw...I'm curious how a 30+ft Sabre 5th wheel found it's way over to the UK??

Thanks for sharing and good luck with your Sabre.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #6

The old war birds are just great arent they?...

My Sabre came in through an independant dealer in the UK. There are a few places importing them now. They need specific work doing once here, for instance they have to have a mechanical handbrake by law. Also they have to be converted for 240V use (a transformer is put in to step down to 120V for the circuits already installed and there are some additional 240V sockets installed so we can use our UK electrical equipment too). The gas system is slightly different too, but no big deal (just change the pig tail for a UK spec one I think).

Regards,
Simon
Old 10-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #7

It's likely the handle just fell off. By the time I got mine to its first destination, three were gone. Seems to me Forest River would rather replace them under warranty than put a dab of loctite on them in the factory... Seems a no-brainer, but....
NeilM108 is offline   Reply With Quote