Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2022, 05:11 PM   #1

Newbie Question on Winterizing

I have a question about extreme cold conditions for an RV. It will be 9 degrees here in Georgia in a few days (never gets that cold!). My camper (2021 Palomino Solaire 217BH) was recently winterized with the pink stuff. I followed the procedure with the exception of the battery being dead, so I manually pumped the pink stuff into the camper until it came out at each fixture. My question is this: With it being soooo cold, and the chance I missed getting some water out somewhere, should I run power to the camper and leave a small space heater running in it? I know space heaters can be dangerous and they tell you not to leave them unattended, but it would be for several hours each night during this extreme cold spell. Additionally, the camper is completely covered with an expedition RV cover. Would you guys recommend taking my chances with only the pink stuff (this is the first time I’ve ever winterized an RV), or should I leave a small heater in it? Thanks in advance! Jim
jkelly66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 10:39 AM   #2

I would not put a space heater in the rig. if you got pink out of all the faucets and bypassed and drained the HWT that should be good with one exception make sure the battery is charged to 100% a charged battery will not freeze but a discharged one will. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 10:51 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

How did you "manually" pump the pink stuff in?

If you did not use the on-board water pump then there could still be water in the pump and the suction strainer. Depending on your procedure, you should be ok if you used the on=board pump but I don't know what "manually" means?

And as SeaDog mentions, a dead battery will freeze and likely crack. A fully charged one won't freeze until after about -50ºF

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 10:55 AM   #4

Make sure you’ve done toilet, outside shower, and dumped down all traps. I winterize w/ pink stuff in MN (-3 as I’m typing this) without issue for 4 years.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 01:23 PM   #5

I’d also pull the anode on your hot water heater out and leave it out to make sure it’s fully drained.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 01:50 PM   #6

I don't advise leaving it out. That open hole is attractive to crawling critters, bugs, mice, and the like.

Pull it, drain the tank, flush it out and reinstall the anode rod using some anti-seize compound, available at auto parts stores.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 02:00 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
I don't advise leaving it out. That open hole is attractive to crawling critters, bugs, mice, and the like.

Pull it, drain the tank, flush it out and reinstall the anode rod using some anti-seize compound, available at auto parts stores.

Bob
This is good advice with a note...
Many Anti-seize compounds made for the auto industry are not for potable water and can contain toxic chemicals. Be sure to check.

With that said, I ALWAYS reinstall my anode after draining, wrapped with Teflon tape per the water heater manufacturer recommendations. I've seen wasps build nests inside water heaters where the ports were left open!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 02:56 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
This is good advice with a note...
Many Anti-seize compounds made for the auto industry are not for potable water and can contain toxic chemicals. Be sure to check.

With that said, I ALWAYS reinstall my anode after draining, wrapped with Teflon tape per the water heater manufacturer recommendations. I've seen wasps build nests inside water heaters where the ports were left open!
X2 with Teflon tape. 10 years of Anode designed water heater (Suburban vs Atwood) and never had the Anode rust in place. Snug? You betcha. But never couldn’t get it out.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, question, winter, winterizing