Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #1

Onan Energy Command 30W

I thought I would post about a new feature that I am adding to my 5ver, but is applicable to any rig that has an Onan generator. In my last rig, the Winnebago Journey, it came with an "Energy Command" device that would control the generator in a variety of situations. Basically it is an "auto start" that can be programmed to start the gen when necessary. A common use is to set it when you are dry camping, and when the batteries drain to a preset level the gen would start and recharge them.

One of the features that I discovered that I liked a lot was that you could program it to start the gen and run the AC if the temps in the rig got too high, and you were not plugged into shore power (or shore power failed). Since we travel with our dog, and in the summer she cannot always go with us because it is just too hot for her to remain in the truck. However, some of the campgrounds we have found ourselves in traveling around the country do not have the best electrical wiring. It is not uncommon for the power to fail for a unknown period of time, or if the voltage drops below a preset limit, my surge protector will cut power to the rig.

While shopping out the new Energy Command from Onan, the usual EC-30 is quite an involved piece of technology. The Onan web site recommends that if be installed by a shop, and it would take at least 8 hours of shop time to install.

As an alternative, Onan has come out with a new model, the EC-30W. It has the features of the EC-30, but is a wireless concept that is designed to be installed easily by the owner. I looked at a u-tube video on the install of the unit, and you plug in a pigtail into the existing wiring harness on the gen, and hook up a power wire to the gens positive terminal. That's it.

You program the hand held remote with a few simple commands, and you are good to go. I immediately ordered one from Onan's web site (cheaper than all the RV parts places had it listed) and will be installing it in a few days.

Here is a link to the site..... Search Results for Cummins Onan Generator Parts and Manuals Store
Modify message
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote