Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Palomino Columbus Compass vs Columbus

Starting to do some homework on the 295RLC (Columbus Compass) vs the 295RL (Columbus)

First, has anyone actually seen a 2018 model of this unit?

Seems all the links go to 2017 and older units. I want to be sure this unit is being continued. There are NO dealers anywhere near us that has this line.

Two, what seems to be the difference in the two lines?
Specs indicate they can be configured exactly the same (I mean exactly) but the Columbus Compass is 250 # lighter with a 30# difference in pin weight.

I realize this is nothing in the grand scheme of things but wondered why?

Anyone have a 2017 295RL(C) and could share some thoughts, having already done this homework?

We currently have the Flagstaff 8529IKBS which is the exact same floor plan but the DW needs a bigger shower and wants a larger sofa.

We don't want to go to another floor plan so don't suggest that.
Simply looking for some insight on what I asked.

Thanks!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:11 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I have no definitive answer, but as a huge fan of the Columbus line I was intrigued by your question. I briefly studied the two and believe the difference is in the details of the standards/options lists.

A few examples of these differences I copied from the Palomino site...

• La-Z-Boy residential theater seating with storage (Columbus)
  • Plush residential theater seating with storage (Compass)
  • (3) 20-lb. LP tanks with auto switch (EZ replacement) (Columbus)
  • (2) 30-lb. LP tanks with auto switch (EZ replacement) (Compass)

• Entry door with frosted window and screen door (Compass)
  • Full view entry door with window and screen door (Columbus)
  • 60" x 30" one-piece fiberglass shower with seat and built-in shelves for toiletries (Columbus)
  • 60" x 30" 2 piece shower surround (Compass)
A few more that caught my eye are that the slide toppers, bike rack, and fiberglass rear cap are all specifically mentioned as optional for the Columbus, but not mentioned anywhere that I saw as being available for the Compass series.

Based on these points, the Compass series looks to be a slight downgrade to me. Maybe a call to Forest River is in order?

P.S. The "Full view" entry door was one of the many things we loved about the Columbus line vs the others we looked at.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:02 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Thanks for your insight. You've pointed out a few things that I missed on my cross reference list.

We are giving this line a hard look and I appreciate your time giving us this valuable information.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:45 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Add day/night accordion shades for Compass. The Columbus has MCD Roller Shades.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #5

We have a 2017 295RL. I decided on the full Columbus (vs. the Compass) mainly on the fiberglass shower. The plastic one on our previous trailer had cracked. I think the additional fiberglass, frame-less windows and solid countertops account for the additional weight.

Consider Wana R/V in Indiana for a dealer. We got a great price there.
6.5kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Thanks so much everyone.

Looks like some of the things mentioned are standard on the Columbus but are in fact, available as an option on the Compass.

Lots to consider and I like to go into negotiating knowing more than the dealer/sales staff knows. Some places that doesn't take much!

Old 12-06-2017, 07:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
I have no definitive answer, but as a huge fan of the Columbus line I was intrigued by your question. I briefly studied the two and believe the difference is in the details of the standards/options lists.

A few examples of these differences I copied from the Palomino site...

We have a 2017 320RS Columbus Compass. Allow me to comment on some of the differences...
  • La-Z-Boy residential theater seating with storage (Columbus)
  • Plush residential theater seating with storage (Compass)
We upgraded our theater seating at purchase to Lazy Boy individual rocker/recliners, so although you are correct that Compass does not typically come with Lazy Boy, in our case it didn't make any difference.
  • (3) 20-lb. LP tanks with auto switch (EZ replacement) (Columbus)
  • (2) 30-lb. LP tanks with auto switch (EZ replacement) (Compass)

• Entry door with frosted window and screen door (Compass)
  • Full view entry door with window and screen door (Columbus)
You can order the door with full-length window and keyless entry. We have it.
  • 60" x 30" one-piece fiberglass shower with seat and built-in shelves for toiletries (Columbus)
  • 60" x 30" 2 piece shower surround (Compass)

[B][COLOR="red"]A few more that caught my eye are that the slide toppers, bike rack, and fiberglass rear cap are all specifically mentioned as optional for the Columbus, but not mentioned anywhere that I saw as being available for the Compass series.

We ordered slide toppers and the rear bike rack from the factory when our Compass was being built. The optional rear cap is available for both the Columbus and the Compass, but you cannot have both the rear bike rack and the molded fiberglass rear cap on either model...it has to be one or the other.

Slide toppers are options on both the Columbus and the Compass series
Based on these points, the Compass series looks to be a slight downgrade to me. Maybe a call to Forest River is in order?

A few more things that the Columbus has that the Compass does not have would be:
* Frameless windows (Compass has standard windows mounted in rubber)
* Hardwood top on bedroom dresser (Compass has solid-surface counter-top material)
* Hardwood steps leading up to the bedroom
* Pull-out sprayer on kitchen sink
* Hardwood top over fireplace (Compass has solid-surface counter top over fireplace.)
* Wood trim "box" mounted to wall and surrounding bedroom television. (Compass bedroom television is mounted to wall, but with no wood trim around the television.)
* Columbus has metal slam locks on compartment doors. (Compass has plastic locks.)

That's the majority of the differences, but the things we gave up on our Compass were things that weren't all that important to us, and we saved thousands of dollars buying our Compass compared to a Columbus, even with all of the "extras" we added.

P.S. The "Full view" entry door was one of the many things we loved about the Columbus line vs the others we looked at.
From a Compass owner. My comments are in red. Hope this helps give you a better picture of the differences.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbus, palomino