Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #1

Palomino Puma Quality?

Hi Everyone! New to the forum.

I am looking to upgrade from my current Wildwood X-lite FS to a Palamino Puma XLE 25TFC Toy Hauler. Just for reference, I am also looking at the Forest River Wolf Pack and Coleman 250TQ. I think all of them are made by Forest River in some shape or form...

I love the floor plan of the Palamino for the price compared to the other 2 trailers. You get quite a bit more than the Coleman at basically the same price and the Wolf Pack is like $6000 more and besides the ramp turning into a patio, I am trying to justify the difference. The Wolf Pack does have fiberglass outside, but I don't care about that.

The Palamino has 2 electric bunk beds, 2 fold out dinettes, outdoor kitchen, electric jacks, and digital antenna. It just seems to good to be true. If this were a Jayco, Wolf Pack or Keystone, it would be like $30k. I got a quote for $20k. What am I missing?
95jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:55 PM   #2

I've had 3 Pumas and had very good luck with them all. They weren't perfect, but only minor issues and much better built than many other stick and tin units I've been in. I suggest you contact RVWholesalers in Lakeview, OH and get a quote. That's who I do business with and they always have the best price and excellent customer service. Isn't Coleman an exclusive Camping World line? If so, that explains why it's way overpriced.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:00 PM   #3
Site Team

Puma is Palomino's stick and tin entry level trailer line.
That's why the Wolf Pack is more plus it should come with stuff that are optional on the Puma.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
That's why the Wolf Pack is more plus it should come with stuff that are optional on the Puma.
Wolf Pack is entry level stick and tin, too. FG is an option, though. Often with FG being an option, it is not a vacuum bonded wall with aluminum framing. Will still be stick framed but with hung fiberglass. Would have to confirm on Wolf Pack.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:11 PM   #5

I purchased a 2018 last year. While it is not the toy hauler it is the 32dbks travel trailer. For the money and the quality of the trailer it fit my bill exactly. There were many options available on the Puma line for less money when I was shopping around. I have had a few minor issues that were easy fixes but nothing major. I camp in an area with lots of Puma Trailers and everyone I have talked too has had nothing but good thing to say about them.
Rinker226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The Puma I am looking at comes with the following:

standard package
elite package
double electric bed
2 exterior speakers
aluminium wheels
15k BTU AC
carbon x detector
diamond plate front lower
bed TV hook up
electric awning
TV antenna
Stereo
Zip screen

The only thing I can find the Wolf Pack has differently is:

Fuel Cell
Patio Deck
FG shell (which could be a downside)
electric leveling jacks

Also, the Wolf Pack doesn't have dual power bunks (big bonus). The Wolf Pack is approx $26.5k and the Puma $20.5K. That is $6000 for a patio, fuel cell and electric jacks. I don't care about the FG and only hear it is problematic. Still not sure what I am missing...
Old 02-27-2018, 05:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I've had 3 Pumas and had very good luck with them all. They weren't perfect, but only minor issues and much better built than many other stick and tin units I've been in. I suggest you contact RVWholesalers in Lakeview, OH and get a quote. That's who I do business with and they always have the best price and excellent customer service. Isn't Coleman an exclusive Camping World line? If so, that explains why it's way overpriced.
So I reached out to them and their price is amazing, BUT they are in Ohio and I am in NJ and I have a trade. So would have to drive around 1150 miles (round trip) and hope they take my trade at a reasonable offer. Gas/tolls/food/overnight stay are easily going to cost me $500-$1000. So that kind of negates the savings.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:09 PM   #8

I don't think RVWholesalers in Lakeview, OH takes trade in
corgidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:14 PM   #9

Our very first camper was a 2004 Puma 30FQSS. Great camper and we had it four years. No RV out there is perfect but it appears to me you hear few real complaints from Puma owners. I think you'll be quite pleased.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgidog View Post
I don't think RVWholesalers in Lakeview, OH takes trade in

They very much do take trade. Or atleast they did 6mo ago. They will also try to sell it for you as a third party if you wish.
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:22 PM   #11

I looked up RVWholesalers in Lakeview, OH and they do take trade ins
corgidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95jersey View Post
So I reached out to them and their price is amazing, BUT they are in Ohio and I am in NJ and I have a trade. So would have to drive around 1150 miles (round trip) and hope they take my trade at a reasonable offer. Gas/tolls/food/overnight stay are easily going to cost me $500-$1000. So that kind of negates the savings.
Your only real expense would be fuel. You'd be taking a camper and coming home with a camper. Hit the truck stops and get some rest- it's free! It's 1000 miles EACH WAY for me. You can probably send in some pictures and describe the rig and get a trade quote. I've never traded, but I think it's pretty common for dealers to give you a quote, but you have to be forthright about any issues because if it's not exactly how you describe the value can go down.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Your only real expense would be fuel. You'd be taking a camper and coming home with a camper. Hit the truck stops and get some rest- it's free! It's 1000 miles EACH WAY for me. You can probably send in some pictures and describe the rig and get a trade quote. I've never traded, but I think it's pretty common for dealers to give you a quote, but you have to be forthright about any issues because if it's not exactly how you describe the value can go down.
I wish it were that easy. Your forgetting food and tolls. Also, my wife and son would never be able to handle a full 9-10 hour drive, so I'd have to break that up over 2 days. So that is 4 days at minimum, which means I have to take off and use personal vacation time. So that extra $1000 they offer really becomes negligible. Wish they were closer.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:49 AM   #14

Quote:
I wish it were that easy. Your forgetting food and tolls. Also, my wife and son would never be able to handle a full 9-10 hour drive, so I'd have to break that up over 2 days. So that is 4 days at minimum, which means I have to take off and use personal vacation time. So that extra $1000 they offer really becomes negligible. Wish they were closer.
You eat no matter where you are, so you can't calculate that as full expense. Stock the camper fridge and use the rest areas. You get to stretch your legs and get some fresh air. They're easier to access than fast food joints- not to mention more relaxing, cheaper and healthier(as long as you pack the right foods, that is). We've made the trip several times to RVW over the years. We now have 4 kids(2-9 at that!) and we made our last run in September of last year. Made the entire drive up without staying overnight. Stopped every few hours at rest areas like mentioned above so everyone could run around and get out some energy. If I were to make the run you are talking about I'd plan it like this- leave Friday and put in 4-5 hours. Stay overnight at a rest area. Arrive mid day to pick up new camper. Plan 3 hours or so for PDI, paperwork, etc. Get back on road by say 4ish. Put a couple hours in. Stop and eat in the new camper at a rest area. Put in a couple more hours and then stop for the night. Drive remaining 5 hours on Sunday and be home by mid afternoon. No time off, trip is broken into 4-5 hour traveling sessions. No extra expense for food over what you'd have staying at home since you're not eating out. And how hard is it for you to avoid toll roads? Never traveled on the East Coast, so maybe it's impossible. We've traveled a lot of the South and Midwest without issue but?????
Old 03-05-2018, 10:16 AM   #15

Quote:
You eat no matter where you are, so you can't calculate that as full expense. Stock the camper fridge and use the rest areas. You get to stretch your legs and get some fresh air. They're easier to access than fast food joints- not to mention more relaxing, cheaper and healthier(as long as you pack the right foods, that is). We've made the trip several times to RVW over the years. We now have 4 kids(2-9 at that!) and we made our last run in September of last year. Made the entire drive up without staying overnight. Stopped every few hours at rest areas like mentioned above so everyone could run around and get out some energy. If I were to make the run you are talking about I'd plan it like this- leave Friday and put in 4-5 hours. Stay overnight at a rest area. Arrive mid day to pick up new camper. Plan 3 hours or so for PDI, paperwork, etc. Get back on road by say 4ish. Put a couple hours in. Stop and eat in the new camper at a rest area. Put in a couple more hours and then stop for the night. Drive remaining 5 hours on Sunday and be home by mid afternoon. No time off, trip is broken into 4-5 hour traveling sessions. No extra expense for food over what you'd have staying at home since you're not eating out. And how hard is it for you to avoid toll roads? Never traveled on the East Coast, so maybe it's impossible. We've traveled a lot of the South and Midwest without issue but?????
The problem is while their pricing is very good, it is not that far off from local dealers. They quoted me $18k, but only give me $5k trade. Another that is 50 miles away quoted $20k but is giving me $7k for my trade. So why make the haul for nothing? Maybe if you were buying outright with no trade, wholesale RV would be a great option, but the rep even said they don't really do trades very well.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:09 AM   #16

Quote:
The problem is while their pricing is very good, it is not that far off from local dealers. They quoted me $18k, but only give me $5k trade. Another that is 50 miles away quoted $20k but is giving me $7k for my trade. So why make the haul for nothing? Maybe if you were buying outright with no trade, wholesale RV would be a great option, but the rep even said they don't really do trades very well.
Buy the 18K trailer at RVW and then sell yours for 9K. I can guarantee you that if your local dealer is offering 7K they'll try to make 4K. At 9K you should be cheaper than anything on a dealer lot and competitive with other private sellers. Then you come out 4K ahead.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Buy the 18K trailer at RVW and then sell yours for 9K. I can guarantee you that if your local dealer is offering 7K they'll try to make 4K. At 9K you should be cheaper than anything on a dealer lot and competitive with other private sellers. Then you come out 4K ahead.
I wish it would work like that. My trailer is small I bought it for $7500 2 years ago. No way my trailer will sell for $9000 to anyone with a brain. I am only assuming dealer is eating the trade to get the sale. Also, I don't feel like dealing with tire kickers for 2-3 months. I get what I paid 2 years ago, I am ahead of the game and I don't have to travel 1000 miles. 3-4 days of my time is more valuable than a thousand or two by far.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:34 AM   #18

Quote:
I wish it would work like that. My trailer is small I bought it for $7500 2 years ago. No way my trailer will sell for $9000 to anyone with a brain. I am only assuming dealer is eating the trade to get the sale. Also, I don't feel like dealing with tire kickers for 2-3 months. I get what I paid 2 years ago, I am ahead of the game and I don't have to travel 1000 miles. 3-4 days of my time is more valuable than a thousand or two by far.
You're probably right about them just eating the trade with the numbers the way they are. Your income level dictates what is feasible for you to save and come out ahead. 2K for 4 days taking a road trip with the family rocks for me. Others can make that in a day, so it's a bad deal for them.

Tags
puma, quality