Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2021, 09:58 AM   #61

A/C unit in River Ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocT View Post
Good afternoon, first post to the forum due to some useful info I read here before purchasing a River Ranch today in which I walked away with checkbook in hand. It was 100 degrees in West Texas today and I had read others concerns regarding the units ability to cool the coach. I called the dealer before heading over and asked them to plug the unit in and set it to 70 degrees and drove over two hours later. The a/c was only able to cool the trailer down to 90 degrees below exterior temp (so inside was 90). From my research you can expect around a 20 degree temp drop. I brought my laser temp monitor and the air making it to vents read slightly cooler but there was almost no “pressure” or flow coming that you could feel. I opened all storage door to access the hvac ducting and saw someone had taped shut the vent that supplies warm/cool air to the storage. I am guessing in an attempt to increase pressure/flow to the interior of the coach. I also placed my hand along all the edges and couldn’t feel any air escaping from the ducting seams. Also, checked temps with gun all along the tracks to find a drop in temp but was unsuccessful. As luck would have it a service tech pulled an identical model up next to me and told me he had received a service bulletin to “retape” the entire ducting system. We had a lengthy discussion as to how this would improve anything as I could not find any sign at all of escaping air. Ultimately he said “well just doing what I am told". I asked how he would get to the top portions of the ducting (mounted against the floor of trailer and he replied that was not going to be part of the “re-taping” process. He stated he has to do all units on the lot and 3 more coming in this week. The technician struggled with a razor get the tape to start peeling so I believe it was stuck on pretty well. I watched him take off the shroud around the ac unit and also we couldn’t find escaping air. So I had to walk away from purchasing as I don’t believe this is a true fix. I was impressed with the concept of the new hvac and I think Forrest River has an opportunity to make the best climate control out there but it looks like this wasn’t tested well or still has flaws that need to be overcome. I am going to wait until the factory can produce a unit that can effectively cool especially for 80k+. The service manager said they had placed a meter over the vents and all were dramatically low (sorry I don't have reading measurements or what they should be). I wouldn’t pretend to be an hvac expert but it seems to me the blower fan or the ac unit needs to be increased in size/output unless there truly is air escaping somewhere. So ultimately I was able to confirm the claims that had been made On the forum about these units not be able to pull down temps more than 8-10 degrees is true. I will give credit to the dealership who didn’t try to hide it or make excuses. By the way I did confirm it was on 50 amp service and both stages were running. The Trailer has enormous space, it would have been great if they put an oversized unit that could rapidly cool the trailer when you first park it and then have it step down to maintain the climate inside. Wondering if anyone has tested their unit after this “fix” of retaping and has it improved your hvac performance in temps above 95F? I hope this helps and I plan on updating as I learn more.

Okay so we got our new A/C for our River Ranch RV. We got it installed and it still didn't do the trick. However after getting some directions from our dealer that we purchased it from was the answer to the problem. Forest River has sent additional directions to add styrofoam around the A/c unit and making sure everything is properly sealed in the return air plenum. Also there is additional work to do to the duct work. I added the styrofoam, sealed inside and outside of return air plenum. I also removed styrofoam at the tees in the duct work. There I found huge gaps in the duct work. Did all repairs According to the directions, and the a/c unit is cooling just as it should. The air flow has increased significantly. With that said if you choose to purchase one, if those things have been completed I don't believe you will have any problems with the A/C cooling the rig. Night and day difference.
P.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 06:55 PM   #62

SO yes kaidy has been great so far, she has been helping me with my options and even reimbursed me for a portable AC unit until we can get this unit control
I just received my 1st check for that. My options are to take it in to a dealer and leave it.... not an option right now as I am 2000 miles from home and working out of town staying in my RV. So they hooked me up with a repair shop near them, when I am done here with my out of town work in 2 months I am going to drop it off, meanwhile, repairs that I am hiring out like the AC work cause I'm not going to go without AC for 2 or 3 months they have said they will reimburse me on those charges
chadjones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 06:56 PM   #63

Just really want to say so far the customer service has been great and they seem like they really are trying. Just wish the Quality control of the builders was better.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:25 PM   #64

Agree the customer service is what kept me from walking away. It’s good to hear how well they are taking care of you.
DocT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:59 PM   #65

fixed AC see attached link to other thread same forum ]
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2621839
Old 09-21-2021, 05:45 PM   #66

I also purchased a River Ranch. I fixed the a/C in mine by re sealing the entire duct system and cutting a hole in the wall board in the basement and installing an inner wall and a filter housing. the fan in the bedroom ceiling only runs backwards. the stereo and surround sound don't work. Nine of eleven basement doors don't seal.

It's no longer freezing up. One tv didn't work when we picked our rig up. The second tv broke two weeks later. The basement lights on the passenger side don't turn off. The toilet leaks on the bathroom floor. We have been in our new unit six weeks
Trainhorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:56 PM   #67

I have had nothing but issues with my River Ranch since the day I got it. I drove 10hrs to pick it up and the A/C and hot water heater were broken. The dealer (optimum rv, never use them) said they fixed everything. When it showed up the doors on the entertainment center were hanging off the hinges. The couch slide leaks water on to the table unless I tilt it off level allowing the water to flow off. The bedroom tv broke within the first two weeks. The A/C would only cool to about 85 degrees while in Florida then finally broke in August in SC (very miserable). I finally found a solution to the shotty Colman unit that comes in it. I installed a ducted mini split and connected it to the existing duct work. Blows ice cold air, and a lot of it. 10/10 would recommend this solution to anyone full timing or traveling to hot areas, the difference is night and day
Mycabbages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:25 PM   #68

mini split very cool

Could you post pictures of your mini split unit and cost , what model you used etc
sounds great
I thought of trying to adding something like this to the front bedroom
Old 10-08-2021, 06:57 AM   #69

We have a RR on deposit and I would like to know how high the openings is at the cargo doors. I am wondering if one of those black storage tubs like you get at HD or Lowes will fit h the opening?

Thanks
VillageRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:32 AM   #70

I wonder if the AC ductwork is coming loose during travel? Maybe they need a better method of securing them.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:06 AM   #71
Beanbag

I‘be read this thread with great interest. I have a 392MB coming off line sometime around now. Then I have 10 weeks for the full body paint. So I’m looking at mid December.

Prior to my purchase I was talking to someone high up the food chain at River Ranch. He told me about the problem they’ve been having with the air conditioning. He said it hadn’t been solved as yet but promised me it would be by the time my coach was ready.

From that conversation I found the right dealer and placed my order with a $10,000 un-refundable deposit. They wanted that amount because I added the generator, W/D etc bringing the MSRP up to $142,000.

One could say I’m a believer amd I guess I am. He didn’t have to tell me about the air amd he’s someone who not only knows but who can fix it. I hope it works out for me and all of you! I know Palomino/Columbus has all their eggs in one basket to make RR not only their flagship. But one of the first coaches you think of when you’re taking luxury brands!
Wingwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:13 AM   #72

We canceled our order for this unit and went with an Alliance 5th Wheel. It comes with 3 AC units on the roof so you always have a backup if one should fail. Of course we are giving up that huge basement area but we really don’t need all that storage space.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:46 AM   #73
Beanbag

Hi Village, I see your point with the 3 airs and I looked at Alliance as well. They lost me with no full body paint and a few smaller issues. But good company for sure.

On the central air, my feeling is, how often do we have trouble with the central air In our home? I realize ours travels and hope the AC is build to handle that? I just couldn’t pass up the 24x18x4” full house filter. I have two family members with breathing problems so this was huge!

Another thing, it’s a central air unit meaning I can call local heat and AC companies to fix it. I thought that was important as well, keeping me from a trip to a dealer. The heat/air companies will come to me.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:12 AM   #74
Beanbag

Something else I’m doing that I hope will pay BIG dividends is “finding the problems and having them fixed at the dealership”. I’ve contracted with a NRVIA Certified Inspector. It’s $700 bucks but I’m thinking well worth it. I’m 250 miles from the dealer and the last thing I want is to no more than get home and have to take it back!

I’ll be with him for the inspection and what a terrific way to learn about the Coach and how everything works.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:35 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingwalker View Post
Hi Village, I see your point with the 3 airs and I looked at Alliance as well. They lost me with no full body paint and a few smaller issues. But good company for sure.

On the central air, my feeling is, how often do we have trouble with the central air In our home? I realize ours travels and hope the AC is build to handle that? I just couldn’t pass up the 24x18x4” full house filter. I have two family members with breathing problems so this was huge!

Another thing, it’s a central air unit meaning I can call local heat and AC companies to fix it. I thought that was important as well, keeping me from a trip to a dealer. The heat/air companies will come to me.
Very good points. There are a lot of good things about the unit. I am guessing that they may up the size of the 2 ton to 2.5 or 3 ton on future units.

I like the composite floors!
Old 12-30-2021, 07:12 PM   #76

What’s wrong with the cable reel?
CecilChapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:34 PM   #77

It’ll drag the wagon, not like a current 6.7 ,but it’ll do it. I had 2 7.3 trucks and they’d tow anything this 6.7 will just not as fast. But speed isn’t the object here eh?
CecilChapmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
palomino